Creative Writing, 5/11/20 and 5/13/20

Hello, dear students!

Four very important things are covered in this post, so please read all the information ASAP:

1. Dialogues are due for evaluation
  2. One more Journal is due
  3. Cohort review of the Final Reflection
  4. Discussion of the Final Portfolio

Dialogues are due!

Send your final drafts of your dialogue(s) to me by 11:59 PM on Monday, May 11. Please send it to creativewritingspring2020@gmail.com, not my City Tech account!

Journal 10 is due

Many of you have already done this, but if you haven’t, write and post Journal Assignment 10: Reflect on your experience with dialogue writing—good, bad, so-so, and why.

Cohort Review of the Final Reflection

I’m assuming you all are working on the Final Reflection today, because that’s the piece of the Portfolio that will be the most work.

The Rough Draft of the Final Reflection is due by 11:59 PM Wednesday, May 13. Send a copy to both your Cohort and me (use my gmail account). This will count as your participation points for Monday.

For this assignment, I ask you to do something a little different from your usual critique.

I still want you to write a formal critique, but instead of discussing the use of plot, characters, dialogue, etc., consider the two main prompts of the assignment and how the writer addressed them.

What have you learned about yourself as a writer this semester?

How will you be able to use what you have learned this semester and transfer that knowledge to other writing situations—either in college or in your community?

As the reviewer, answer these questions:

1. What did you enjoy the most about this Final Reflection? Be specific!
  2. What do you want to know more about in another draft?
  3. Consider the brainstorming questions from the Final Reflection Essay Assignment Sheet. What wasn’t explored in the writer’s essay that you feel should be discussed in another draft?

Review each member of your Cohort’s Final Reflections by Friday, May 15 (this will count for your participation points for Wednesday). Email both the writers and me a copy of your critique.

Discussion of Final Portfolio

As I’ve mentioned before, we don’t have a Final Exam for this class, but we have a Final Portfolio. The Final Portfolio includes:

• Final Reflection
  • Revision Paragraphs for X and X
  • Memoir (2)
  • Short Story (2)
  • Poetry (2)
  • Dialogue (1)
  • Journals (2)

There are many details to the Final Portfolio, so please look at this document I’ve prepared and posted on OpenLab. It states what is included, how many revisions are needed, how it must be saved/submitted, and how it will be evaluated.

READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY AND LONG BEFORE THE DUE DATE: MAY 20, 2020!

If you have questions or concerns, contact me and we can talk during the class office hours (Monday and Wednesday, 11:30 AM – 1 PM). I can work in other times, but you’ll have to email me in advance.

Stay safe & well!