Prof. Jessica Penner | OL20 | Fall 2021

Welcome, Students!

Even though we don’t officially meet until Tuesday, August 31, please read this page and complete the assignments before then, because this class is a hybrid. A hybrid class only meets once a week, but that doesn’t mean you only have to prepare for that meeting time! It means you have to read, write, and sometimes communicate with me and/or your classmates during the week. (You can see what your first assignments are here, but don’t go yet, read the other stuff below first!)

Often the items discussed here will be covered in our class meeting times, but even if you attend the class, be sure to read the weekly Announcement. It’s a great way to refresh your memory and you may note things that you missed during class!

I like to start my classes with a quote or a question, so here’s the quote and questions:

When you write, it’s like braiding your hair. Taking a handful of coarse unruly strands and attempting to bring them unity. Your fingers have still not perfected the task. Some of the braids are long, others are short. Some are thick, others are thin. Some are heavy. Others are light.

Edwidge Danticat

Take a moment and think about the following questions:

Why does Danticat equate writing with braiding?

Why are you taking this class in particular?

Why do you think others are taking this class?

What do you hope to gain from this class?

What does this quote and questions have to do with one another?

Your first assignment for this class is to consider these questions and answer three of them in the “reply” section of this post by 11:59 PM on Thursday, August 26 . Note: this will be a way for us to get to know one another before our first meeting on Tuesday, and will count towards your participation points!

Some Thoughts

Anyone who has braided hair knows it is a challenge. It’s a skill. It’s not something you can learn overnight. Braiding and writing are both skills that need time, effort, and a lot of patience. Everyone in this class is bringing different experiences with writing–the good, the bad, and the so-so–and some of you may have never taken a “creative writing” class in their whole lives!

This class is going to focus on memoir, short fiction, poetry, and dialogue. Now, some of y’all might not be into one or more of those genres, but it’s been my experience that students end up enjoying a genre they didn’t expect to even like, or have fallen in love again with a genre they’ve just been secretly crushing on. As long as you make an effort with everything I assign this semester, you’ll be happy with your experience (not to mention the grade)!

Everyone in this class is a writer. Whether you are writing a text, a paragraph, an essay, or a novel, you are all writers. You may have different reasons for taking this class. Some might be taking this class because it was the only general education class available, because they want to practice more writing, because they write creatively, and even others aren’t quite sure why they’re here. Whatever your reasons or expectations for being here, please know that I and your peers are here to read and respect you.

Please take some time to explore this OpenLab course site. Use the menu to explore the course information, activities, and help. Be sure to check on the Activities tab where your assignments for Week 1 reside. I’m going to share a little bit about myself and I want you to do the same.

Curious? Go to Week 1 and find out more!

Also, if you haven’t yet, please…

Join this Course

Login to your OpenLab account and follow these instructions to join this course.

If you’re new to the OpenLab, follow these instructions to create an account and then join the course.

Remember that your username and display name can be pseudonyms, rather than your real name. Your avatar does not need to be a picture of your face–just something that identifies you on the OpenLab.

Questions

If you have any questions, reach out via email or in Office Hours. If you need help with the OpenLab, you can consult OpenLab Help or contact the OpenLab Community Team.

1. Samantha

Danticat equate writing with braiding because it allows writers to go deeper into their minds. When writing, it’s like braiding (Danticat). Writing is a practice that is perfected over time, especially if that person writes what they’re grateful every week night, their worries and regrets. During writing some parts are painful when it comes to reflecting on past events and light when it comes to happy events. That what Danticat means when some braids are thick or thin.

I’m taking this class in particular because I wanted to get more in touch with my writing. Every weeknight since last summer, I write what I’m grateful for, my worries and regrets.

I think others are taking this class to do something more positive and write whatever is on their mind privately on their own time.

2. Kevin Perea

Hello professor, nice to meet you! I’m very excited to start this course!

– Danticat comparing writing with braiding highlights that fact that writing is a skill that takes practice and revisions to master, and even then, it won’t always be perfect. It could also be interpreted as different elements of writing such as character and plot development, writing style, and point of views coming together to create one larger work. Just as one takes strands of hairs and brings them together to create a braid, a writer can take all the literary elements and intertwine them to create a story.

– I am taking this class because I genuinely enjoyed my previous three English classes and through these classes, I realized I enjoy reading and writing. These classes have inspired me to read more, including picking up my old hobby of reading comic books. I now read with a more analytical approach, looking for symbols and development, whereas before I would simply see words on a page. Writing is also a fun challenge for me, and I’d like to be not just a consumer, but a creator. This class is a great way for me to hone and expand my skills and creativity.

– What I’d like to gain from this class is new perspectives and techniques on writing. My three English professors have praised my work, but I believe there’s always room for improvement. I’d like to pick up new skills and techniques, as well as view the art of writing through new eyes. Writing is used people of all backgrounds, statuses, and experiences, and I’d like to explore that through this course.

3. Jimenez

Danticat equates writing with braiding because everyone’s strands of hairs are different. You have thick hair, curly, wavy, coily, etc. Through each braid you have the details of the story, how deep it can get, how light and humorous it can be. Braiding is an artwork that can be expressed in different ways and the same is equated to writing.

I’m taking this class because I’m majoring in professional and technical writing, but I’m a creative writer. I desire to expand my art beyond my career.

I hope to gain a new perspective through this class, I want to take what I know and learn something fresh. I desire to love my own art once more and embrace other pieces of art from the readings.

4. Hillary Castrillon

I think Danticat wanted to express that writing isn’t as simple as people may think it is, just like braiding hair. That everyones writing is different just like how braids can come out different each time. Its a really good analogy.

I have always wanted to take a creative writing course as I love writing. I thought it would be a fun challenge as well. It is also a requirement for my major.

I hope that after this class, I become a confident writer and an even better reader. I think both go hand in hand.

5. Devi Ramnarine

I am taking this class in particular because I want to learn more about writing essays, especially in a creative way! I want to learn and be creative when it comes to writing a sentence or a whole paragraph.

I think that others are taking this class base on the same reason why I am taking this class or they have their own reason and accomplishment.

I hope to gain alot of knowledge on how to be creative when it comes to writing an essay and also helps me be professional in writing a letter. I want gain that accomplishment.

6. Tabitha Demero

Danticat equates braiding to writing, not every story or paragraoh will be the same, as interesting, or that profound so we don’t need to compare them to one another. im taking this class because its a requirement for me degree, if I looked on other classmates bio/degree I could say it was a requirement or they wanted to take this class. All in all I want to gain a sense of refreshment from this class because of all the other classes and everything that’s going on in society its good to have a refresher once in awhile. The questions and quote kind of intertwine with each other because, Danticat said not all braids are the same but neither are they so different, just like the questions they are different but in the same statements of questioning.

7. Fpromi66

1) I am taking this class in particular because I want to be a better writer and encourage myself to work hard and be more creative in my writing. I want to have strong writing skills and work on the tone of my writing so it can sound good and my audience will love my work.
    2) I think others are taking this course so, they can make their own writing to be improved and practice on writing or else people will forget.
    3) What I hope to gain from this course is to share your work with others. Also, I can learn to accept their comments gracefully and helping others improve on their writing too.

8. Saba Chaudhry

. Why does Danticat equate writing with braiding?
    Danticat equates writing with braiding because he is trying to explain now writing works. Using braiding as an example allows people to understand by using an example of something relatable. Braiding require effort , it needs to be peiced together by using the hair you have to make it beautiful. Writing is similar in the sense that idea must connect and be unified together so your writing can be beautiful as well. writing and braiding are both works in progress.
    Iam taking this class because I needed a writing intensive course. I also enjoy writing myself . I felt taking this course would allow mes to grow on my writing and figure out away to perfect things that I don’t do well.

This quote and question s relate because, the question proposes the notion that everyone is working on their writing and trying to figure out how to “unify” their writing. The questions inquire about us and what brings us here. Obviously we are all different people so our reasons vary just like our writing does like the quote proposes.

9. Isaias Acosta

i think he equates writing with braiding because with writing you write a bunch of words in a way that brings them together and forms sentences paragraphs and essays. similar to braiding, writing can be long or short depending on the words that are put into them

I’m in this class because i need a gen ed class

others are probably taking this class for the same reason as me and some might want to become good writers in the future and this class can be a stepping stone for them

10. Shaunna

1.Why does Danticat equate writing with braiding?
    Danticat uses braiding to show that with writing there are different strands like topic, style and purpose which all come together to create one piece of work or the braid in his example. Each piece of writing just like each braid is different but all the strands still came together to crate something.
    2.What do you hope to gain from this class?
    I hope to gain a better understanding of different types of writing styles along with becoming a better writer.
    3.What does this quote and questions have to do with one another?
    Each question is like a strand each strand comes together to make a braid. The questions asked were questions dealing with a reason. When answered each reason came together to explain your reason for being here or taking this class which is also a good start to getting to know each other.

11. Manuel Barreras

1.) Why are you taking this class in particular?
    I’m taking this class in particular because I am currently taking elective classes since I finished my requirements, I thought it would be a good idea to register for classes that I have an interest in and would be able to challenge myself and my writing skills to see how an experience like that would work out in a creative writing class.

2.) Why do you think others are taking this class?
    I think others are taking this class because they might be in the same circumstances as me, possibly it could be because they have an interest in writing and might feel like they would excel in a creative writing class. Others might be taking this class probably to fulfill their general education/major requirements and it just so happened that this class would be able to fit into their schedule.

3.) What do you hope to gain from this class?
    I hope to gain from this class an understanding of different writing styles that I could use for the future to help strengthen and broaden my skills, I would like to also be able to maybe see if there are different things in the way I write to improve on.

12. Princess_Taty

The reason that I am taking this class in particular is because I want to get back in tune with my creative side. I use to write freely a couple years back. I actually enjoy writing since it helps with whatever I am thinking of. As well as I need it, in order to be able to get my bachelors degree.

I think other students are taking this class because they also might actually like creative writing just like me. Or to even fill or meet there specific requirements in order to advance themselves.

What I hope to gain from this class is how to improve my writing style and where I can improve at. As well as learning new writing styles and techniques or skills. And how to get over having writers block since I do experience that sometimes.

13. Angie Navarro

From my perspective, Danticat compared writing with braiding hair. “When you write, it’s like braiding your hair. Taking a handful of coarse unruly strands and attempting to bring them unity”. It can take effort and practice in order to improve your writing. The same thing with braiding your hair it takes patience in order to unite each hair strand.
    I’m taking this class to open more to my personal writings. It’s good to learn more about genres, and writing techniques.
    Other students might take this class to improve their own skills, or to view it from a different perspective.
    I hope to improve more with my writing.

14. NIDA KHAWAJA

Danticat equates writing with braiding because writing takes time and patients just like braiding. You have to bring all the pieces together to making something beautiful. If something is out of place it won’t look/sound right. She’s trying to explain that with patients and practice the writing will come out great. If you rush it will not make any sense. Just like braids if you rush them, they won’t look great.
    I’m taking this class a requirement. Writing isn’t my best subject do I’m hoping I can get a little bit better at it with this class.
    I think others are taking this class to expand their writing abilities or maybe it’s a requirement for them. They might be taking it because they needed one more class to be a full student.
    I hope to gain the knowledge to not fear the subject of English or writing. To improve my writing and to finally love writing and not roll my eye when someone takes about it. As of right now I hate writing with a passion.

15. bensonzheng1012

To demonstrate how writing is difficult in an easy to understand way. While also explaining it in a way they understand.
    To improve my creative writing abilities and the satisfy the requirements for my degree.
    I believe that others are taking the class for similar reasons as myself.

16. Ammad Arshad

-Danticat equates writing with braiding because in general braiding has different twist and turns. Writing relates to that because when writing your creativity is endless and you can go down any path you want when writing a story.
    -I am taking this class because I need a creative expression Gen Ed class.
    -I believe others are taking this class for the same reason I am or they are going into a English profession.
    -I hope to gain the knowledge to better use techniques in my writing, to make my writing easier and to show more expression.
    -Because as stated earlier braiding has different paths in a sense. And it relates to the questions because everyone taking this course has there own reasons for taking this course there own path.

17. AKM

I am taking this class because it was one of my requirements in degree works also I chose this class in particular because it said “creative writing”. I feel like I can write pretty creative stuff once I get to know about a certain topic. Let’s say the topic is a “cow”. A cow is not just an animal it’s a breathing legend. I say that because cows are not only a source of food but they are a source of income and they are available everywhere in the world and every country. or we can talk about “grass”. Grass is not just some green leaves on the ground they also act as a tree producing a lot of oxygen while consuming a lot of CO2 which helps the people around it feel energetic. etc.

I feel like others are also taking this class because either they need the course grade to graduate from college or they also have creative skills.

I hope to get some more knowledge on creative writing as well as a satisfactory grade for me to pass the class.

18. Liam Escamilla

Danticat equates writing with braiding because, like any form of skill, time and consistency is always the variable that determines it. Writing things off your mind can take time to wrap up because you want to make sure that the reader understands every little detail you write down. Not everyone has the same perspective as you. With braiding, you want it to be symmetrical and perfect. Some parts here can be uneven whereas, in writing, some parts of the story can be confusing.

I am taking this class because I feel like I have a creative mind. I want to get into reading books as my old self didn’t find books interesting (yes I know) but as I got older, I realized how important reading in general is. From having friends that read daily, they enjoy the novels they read. So I figured, why not try and see what genre I enjoy? I found out I love dystopian/Lovecraftian stories by reading along in my last year’s English class. But I want to be exposed to more genres and find books to consider reading. Writing is sometimes my favorite thing to do if I’m hooked. So overall, creative writing will give me the chance to illustrate my creative mindset to any reader.

Besides needing it to graduate, I think others in this class also have a creative mindset. Each of us has a story to tell and eventually will find new genres to read from.

19. Fnu nida

Danticat equate writing with braiding because it prefers writing and braiding both takes time and skills to be good overtime. It shows everyone has different style and opinion when they write. Not everyone has same opinion and if we compare it with braiding it tells us the same meaning that sometimes writing can be difficult and confusing and it can be same for the reader as well when they read our writing.

I am taking this class because this is required class and also I personally want to improve my writing skills so that in future I can write professionally whenever its needed. Moreover, I love reading fiction stories and sometimes I wish to write my own but for that I want to learn how can I make my story good if I ever write one.

I think others are taking this class because its also required for them and to add more everyone wishes to become a professional writer in business world. This class will help everyone to have creative mindset and to do more better with their writing.

I hope to get more knowledge and professional on creative writing and to write my own story someday with the skills I will learn in this class.

20. Fnu nida

21. Estela Guevara

I am taking this class because I want to improve my writing skills. Also, it is required for my major. Finally, I want to improve in general my English since it will help me a lot in the future and it is important to me to have a good English.

I think my classmates are taking this class because as me they want to improve their writing skills.

I hope to gain more English in general. I will do my best to improve a lot on my writing, reading and understanding.