This is a hybrid course, which means we meet only once a week–Tuesday, but you’ll have responsibilities throughout the week. Most deadlines will be on a Tuesday/Thursday schedule.
On Thursday, August 26, 2021, please do the following by 11:59 PM:
- We are using OpenLab NOT Blackboard. If you haven’t logged on to OpenLab before this class, do so. Instructions on how to do this are here:
- Go to the OpenLab class site.
- Take a tour of OpenLab.
- Read the “Welcome, Students” introduction to the course, look over the syllabus, open and review all course tabs/sections.
- Homework: Consider the questions I present in the “Welcome, Students” page and respond to three of them in the “reply” section. Also, read my “Meet My Feet” story under Discussions.
On Tuesday, August 31:
In class we will DISCUSS:
- Discuss my “Meet My Feet.” What did you enjoy about my story? What questions do you have?
- I’ll lead a discussion on how to give appropriate feedback on someone’s writing.
- Homework: Write your own “Meet My _____.” You can use your shoes or another object that you feel shares something about you. Title it Full Name, Meet My [Fill in the Blank]. Post it under Assignment Posts on OpenLab. Do not make it private; your classmates will need to read it. (A visual guide on how to make a post is here.)
- Post this assignment by 11:59 on Wednesday, September 1.
On Thursday, September 2, please do the following by 11:59 PM:
- Comment on four classmates’ “Meet My ______.” What do you enjoy? What questions do you have?
- Read Chapter One from Ann Patchett’s Truth & Beauty.
- Homework: Critique Patchett’s work in a paragraph (approx. 100 words). What did you enjoy about her work? What questions do you have? Title it Full Name, Patchett Critique. Post under Discussions.