Monday, 10/19 – Friday, 10/23 

By end-of-day Monday, 10/19, the following activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM):

WORKSHOP:

• Respond to each of your Cohort members; email the responses to them and send a copy to my Gmail account (creative.writing.citytech@gmail.com) for participation points!
  • The final draft of your first short story is due 10/26, so you have a week to look at your Cohort’s feedback and revise it for my evaluation. Wait for instructions–you’ll be posting it on the website.

WRITE:

• I’ll post one more picture from our POV Story activity on Monday. Take a look and answer the question in the comments section. (Don’t worry, I’ll email a reminder!)
  • Journal Assignment 5: Write about a moment from your past that changed you. A few prompts to get you going (if you’re needing some):
    • Write about a significant move in your life, either from another country or just a borough/neighborhood.
    • Write about a friendship lost or gained.
    • Write about a decision you made that your family disagreed with.
    • Write about the first time you felt alone in the world–and how that made you view the world and yourself.
  • Post it under Student Work: Journals, and title it Full Name, Journal 5.

By end-of-day Wednesday, 10/21, the following activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM):

READ:

WRITE:

• Answer the question on the Announcement page.
  • A formal critique of Coates’ work. Post it under Student Work: Discussions.
  • Begin writing a NEW story in any POV you like (First Person or Third Person), but focus on the setting and/or context.
  • Take your story from Journal 5, fictionalize it by putting it in a totally different setting. Some ideas from Creative Writing Now:

Write a story that takes place…

1. in a tattoo parlor
  2. at the zoo at night
  3. in an abandoned hospital
  4. in a submarine
  5. in a magnet factory
  6. in the vault of a bank
  7. in a bridal shop
  8. in the kitchen of Buckingham Palace
  9. on the edge of a cliff
  10. entirely in the dark
  • You aren’t required to use one of these settings, of course, but hopefully you see what I’m wanting you to focus on!
  • First draft for your Cohort is 10/28!