Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Jozelyn Santos, Jone’s Critique

Plot: This was a very interesting story. It took me a while to fully understand what it was about or where it was leading too but as I kept reading, it started to grab my attention more. From what I understand, this is the story about a young girl who has learned more about her mother, as the mother tries to put her daughter in the best school and discovers something about her. She discovers that her mother can not read or write which sets her apart from the rest of the parents. 

Is the fact that her mother can not read or write the reason why the young girl becomes ashamed of her mother, which is what she stated in the beginning? 

Characters: Is it safe to say that the mother wants to put her daughter into the best school possible so she can have the reading and writing abilities that the mother herself does not have? 

Point of View: It is clear to me that this is the author’s point of view, from when she was a young girl since she is describing what she saw, felt and what she discovered. 

Setting & Context: How come the mother did not go to the new school in the first place?

Voice & Style: I like how the author was very descriptive throughout the story, from what she wore, saw, heard and her mother’s facial expressions. It made it simpler, for me as a reader, to paint a picture in my head. 

Dialogue: Two dialogues that place that I believe was a significant part of the story. The first dialogue involves the lady at the first school that was not zoned for them telling the young girl’s mother that her daughter can not attend the school. The mother fights the lady on this showing the mother’s determination to get her daughter into a good school. The second dialogue with the lady at the registration is when we find out the mother can not read or write which is important in terms of her characterization. 

1. Luzmery

Hi Jozelyn, i really liked your question under characters. I think that could be one of the reasons the mother wanted her five year old girl to attend to the first school they went, she just wanted to make sure that her child was in good hands and that she was really going to learn and develop good skills.

2. Amna Ahmed

Hi Jozelyn, I also had the same question as to why the daughter was ashamed of her mother. I think it has to do with the girl’s mother not being able to read, thus needing the help of another person.

3. Maria Mateo

I agree with your comments on the plot of the story. Because I also understand that while the little girl experience her first day of school she discover something about her mother that she didn’t know before, and that her mother was doing everything that was in her hands to make her child go to the best school.

4. Dylan

Hi Jozelyn, I agree that the two dialogues were really important for understanding the mother better. From it we could tell how determined she was to get her daughter into a good school, and it made the reveal that she was illiterate feel even more personal.