A time I felt  anonymous by choice was when I moved from the Dominican Republic to the USA a few years ago. When you arrive in a new country you might  face many obstacles such as culture, adaptation, discrimination, etc. The biggest obstacle for me was the language. When you’re  not fluent in the language  that is spoken in the country you have just moved to, you feel strange and anxious because you do not know how to communicate with other people.  My first year of high school was very difficult. Even though I understood and held conversations with my teachers and classmates , I still had my accent and I was afraid that I wasn’t using the correct words or did not pronounce it correctly. Before I came to this country I took English classes but it wasn’t enough to learn the language completely. I always try to be perfectionist and since I  know my English was not perfect,  I did not want to give myself a chance to put into practice what I learned . I felt that I  had  all the ideas in my head but when it came to using them I just didn’t  know how or when to intervene. I did not have many friends and I didn’t try to do so ,for fear of being rejected. I tried my best to speak in English but some people were so  mean that they pretended that they did not understand any word I said and just ignore what I was trying to say. These things at first discouraged me and made me think that I will never improve my English . At first,  I was very disappointed but then, I realized that this could affect my life and my grades in school so I did everything to improve my English with the help of my teachers and people that supported me. I read a lot of books, I stay during after school and any time I had a question or did not understand something I seek for help. I’m still practicing to speak and write perfectly, and I know that with determination and motivation I will be able to do it.