Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Kiara wright formal Critique on The First Day by: Edward P. Jones

Reviewer’s Name: Kiara Wright

Title of Piece: The First Day   

Author’s Name: Edward P. Jones 

Voice & Style: the author’s voice of style makes it easier for the reader to understand what the child sees and what the mother sees. Meaning we are hearing both points of views rather than one and it would just be one sided.

Plot: The child’s parent is trying to get her into a school. But it seems like the school is accepting her because they don’t live near the school.

Point of view:we are seeing the story from a child’s perspective.

Did you mean to show us your mom’s point of view?

Dialogue : The child is starting to tell the reader the dialogue from her mother’s and the othe adults point of view about getting her to go to the school that the mom is trying to get her into.

what was the world you repeated from the older children that made your mom slap you?

1. Amna Ahmed

Hi Kiara, I agree that the reason behind why the daughter could not get into the first school was because she did not live near the school. I think the reason behind the mother wanting the daughter to go to the first school was because she wanted her daughter to go to a good school.

2. malik lee

Hi Kiara,
    I agree with your point on the voice & style section its true the author made the story easy to read and follow it was great to get both characters perspective on the situation instead of it being one sided

3. malik lee

Hi Kiara,