Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Malik Lee Memoir #2 (Revised)

Malik Lee

ENG 1141

September 25,2020

Memoir #2

Bullying does not always have to be childish play; it can be extremely violent. People may be killed, bruised, or even injured. Kids under bad influence may turn very violent. Parents, relatives, friends, T.V., music and pictures may all influence people, especially when they are in a lowered state of mind. Bullying can have a negative affect on someones upbringing or something worst like the decisions they decide to make in life.

Through my childhood in school I was bullied for multiple things such as the way I walk, talk who I decided to associate with and how I carried myself. Even people in my neighborhood teased me and picked on me making my up bringing feel worse than a regular traumatic experience. Being called hurtful names while people laughed really took a toll on my self-esteem making me feel less of a person even worthless. Up until entering high school I had a sigh of relief being able to have a fresh start (clean slate). In high school I wasn’t judged because of my mannerism or of my sexual preference people enjoyed being around me for my personality. As I recently celebrated my 24th birthday I look back on how going through my childhood it shaped/molded me into the young adult I’am today and how I grew as a person. With the help of supportive friends who help me stay grownded allow to see how much I matter to them & showing me the value I hold in their life. I’ve realized the more I become older the less I begin to carrels about what others think or say to me. Even though I still run into people who feel they have the need to express their thoughts/views on my life makes me laugh because people cannot tell some else how to live the only life they’ve been given.In this present day I feel people should be able to live their life freely without any judgement or care in the world.

1. nickay82

Thank you for sharing Malik I really enjoy your story. I am so proud of you and your growth, and for not allowing people and their negative words define the person you are today. I am happy you have good friends in your cycle that truly value you and accept you for who you are.

Did you ever talk to you parents about the bulling you received ?