Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Angelica Hernandez

Creative Writing

September, 13 2020

Meet My Doc Martens

In the fall of 2017, I became infatuated with the idea of owning Doc Marten boots, it was due to people on social media, the music I listened to, and because I saw musical performers wear them. I just thought they were bad-ass. That Christmas I was given my first pair  and I was extremely excited. I began wearing them everywhere and every day (mostly). It gave me a boost of confidence I needed and made any outfit look great. I would wear them so much at school, that some of my friends or acquaintances would tell me that they look cool and want a pair. Next thing you know I saw them walking down the hallway with their new Doc Marten boots. It never bothered me, I thought it was cool that I inspired some people. I even had my college counselor tell me that others couldn’t rock them the way I did which boosted my confidence as well. It makes me laugh a little looking back at it now, it looks like I was unintentionally promoting the brand. I’d even worn them to my trip to Mexico that summer of 2018 and continued my senior year of high school with them. By this time, I added 3 more pairs to my collection, but I wore those pairs less often. They were all in different styles and one of them was brown instead of black. Towards the end of my senior year, the soles of my first pair were breaking in the front and the middle. I was in shock by that, but then I took my boots breaking as a sign of an era ending. I was so attached to the brand, I decided to get a new pair of Doc martens in a slightly different style in black for graduation. I walked across the stage to receive my diploma with my new pair to enter this era in my life.

Questions And Response (Cohort members)

Jozelyn Santos-

Do you think your Doc Martens allowed you to show your true sense of style and personality?

Yes absolutely, when I got my boots I decided to change my style completely, I took my boots as my base for my style. I began wearing majority balck clothing when I returned to school and looser clothing. I listened to alot of rock at that time and still do, I took inspiration from performers and people on the internet. I had many issues with finding my self and sense of style. When I got my boots I made a sudden switch because with everything around me I found myself with fashion, and music.

Was it intended for you to use both your POV and those around you since you mentioned their compliments?

Yes it was, their point of views really contributed a lot to my story and an odd impact my shoes of choice did to others.

I like how I can tell how much your Doc Martens mean to you by your use of words. What did your other three pairs of Doc Martens look like?

One of them is a brown chelsea boot with faux fur inside, another are the men styled dress shoes in balck and their signature yellow stitching, lastly one of them are in the style “church boots’ ‘ it’s all balck and the leather is crocodile print.

Did your friends ever ask you for advice on how to pick out outfits for Doc Martens?

I have a friend who would often ask me if a certain type of pants would suit their boots. The same friend would even style them the way I would, for example I would wear mine with a certain style of sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt and would do something similar.

Mohammed Hasim

Do you have other shoes you love besides doc martens?

I do, I like Nike sneakers a lot. One that I really like right now is the low top air force 1 jesters in black and the logo is a green color. I used to own 2 other pairs of regular air forces, they are just a simple and nice sneaker to wear.

Did you feel some type of way when your classmates started wearing them as well?

No not at all, it’s cool and I shouldn’t feel a need to gatekeep a popular shoe.

Have you ever felt like maybe Doc Martens weren’t your type?

I never felt that they weren’t my type, it’s been about 3 years and my opinion of them hasn’t changed at all, I wear them as often as I can.

Did you pay for all of your Doc Martens boots or you had your parents’ help?

I bought myself one pair but the rest of them were gifts from my parents.

Nickay Green

Did you purchase your first pair yourself or was it given to you as a Christmas gift?

My first pair was a Christmas gift from my parents.

Did you get black because it is a universal color that goes with everything, or is black shoes your preferred color?

Both, black goes with everything and their my preferred shoe color of choice. Another thing is that the color balck is one of my favorite colors.

You mention wearing the other 3 pairs of Doc Martins less often than the black ones, is it that they are different styles or is it because of the colors?

I wear the other ones less often because of the style, they don’t go with everything as my main pair does. One of them is brown but I strictly wear it in the cold because that pair has faux fur inside, and the rest are black.

What other brand shoes do you find yourself interested in?

I really like Nike. I always enjoyed sneakers when I was younger so I have some pairs in different styles. I wear them when my feet need a break from the boots.

1. Luzmery

Hi Angelica, I really liked your story. I always see that type of boots and I like how it looks on everybody but it wasn’t until prof. Penner wrote about them that I knew they the brand. By reading your story and how your friends ask you for advice on how to combine the boots with some outfits I can tell you have a good and unique style. How did you feel after your counselor told you that other could not rock them like you?

2. Mohammed Hashim

Hi Angelica, thanks for answering my questions and the other cohorts. I liked reading your piece and your answers. I also like wearing Nike. Nike has a lot of variations in their shoes and they can be very stylish. Personally I think white Air Force 1s can be matched with a lot of outfits. What’s your favorite Nike pair?