Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Jozelyn Santos, Meet My Gold Hoops

Ever since I was young, my mom always put on a small pair of gold hoops on my ears. Beginning with those little gold hoops that hug your earlobe, my love for earrings continued to grow to the point where I never left my house without a pair on me. It is almost like never leaving your house without your wallet or some chapstick!

However, during middle school, I went into a phase that involved earings that were bold and unique, such as dangling zippers, emojis and even earning cuffs. These earning brought some fun to my outfits and allowed me to express my style at a young age. The plus of wearing these different earnings was that no other student in my grade had a pair like mine, leaving my style unique.

Once I began High School, I found a new love for gold hoops. In my eyes, this accessory can be casual and dressy, be worn with any hairstyle and just looks so good with any outfit. If I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. my hoops managed to make me look “well put together” again. On rainy days, my go to outfit were some leggings, sweater, a hat and my good ole hoops. Wether I am going to CVS down the block or on a mini vacation, I always have my gold hoops on. No matter what I wear or how I feel, they scream “POW” in the most settled way. I believe, every person has that one thing they can not leave the house without. Besides a phone, it can be a favorite pair of lipstick, necklace, book, journal, watch and so much more. For me, it is the big circles that hang from my ear and glisten when the sun is shining on them.

1. Mamadou

I love this story because for as long as I can remember, I’ve always tried to have something that people always recognized me by and whatever it was on any given year, it gave me the same sense of comfort that your gold hoops give to you. Each of those things that basically trademarked me were either destroyed(rest in peace plastic from 3rd grade), or outgrown. You probably don’t have those issues with your hoops so have you ever lost or misplaced them?

• Jozelyn

Yes, I can relate to your statement on how you always had something that people recognized you with. For it was the “crazy” earrings and now its my hoops. I have lost a pair of hoops here and there or misplaced. But I always have other hoops to fall back on. I mostly have average size hoops and some big ones when I want to make a statement of have them stand out when I do my hair up. All in all, I’m always buying some new hoops! 🙂