Patchcett’s writing feels very unique. Her descriptions feel so…alive. I loved the imagery she used when describing the road trip with her stepsister Tina, using towels to protect their legs from the seats and licking melted M&Ms off of their fingers. It sounds really uncomfortable and kind of gross, but at the same time I love the feeling I get from reading it. She was on an adventure, and she was having the time of her life. That’s what I get from it at least. I’d love to go on a road trip with my friends and just be free, with no fear and a will to keep moving forward. I love that her writing makes me feel like I’m right there with her and also inspires me to take risks. And that was only on the first page. Learning about Lucy’s relationship with Ann gave me a weird feeling in my gut. I couldn’t place it until just now, but Lucy only started acknowledging Ann as an equal after she was forced to be her roommate. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I wonder if Ann ever brought it up with Lucy?