Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Meet My New Apartment

Growing up as someone from a different culture, I was always thrilled to be able to move out and live away from the family. I knew I would need to work very hard to have my own space. I have always imagined how I was going to decorate my own house, paint it different colors and change its style accordingly. I have been always a fan of kitchen tools and decorations and I wanted my own kitchen that I can enjoy cooking in it. I wanted a quite large beige dining table so I can invite my friends over for lunch or dinner.

I recently was able to move out and be independent with my own free space; I started to buy my furniture and still looking for an affordable beige dining set to put in my living room beside a big and comfy gray or beige couch. The apartment I moved in is simple with a reasonable space that is perfect for me, and most importantly, it is mine to make it my home.It has three bedrooms and a living room which is perfect for me and my sister who moved out with me. we bought the bedding, two small coffee tables, a beige carpet, and drawers. luckily the closets are part of the bedrooms so we did not have to buy that. I buy something every week or so; a furniture piece or a kitchen tool. I am making it my home little by little and I get excited every time I come back from work knowing that my home is waiting for me.

1. Diana Rivera

I enjoyed that you included the specifics of you want to have a house of your own; whether that was a home to call your own or the furniture pieces or sets. What about having a beige dining table is the most appealing to you? Does the color beige bring any sort of positive emotions towards you? Is it a color of importance to you?

2. Angelica Salazar

I liked how you acknowledged that it took you hard work to be able to move from your family home. When picturing moving from your family home did you always picture it with your sister? Or did you think different?

3. Kiara Wright

I really like how detailed you are with how everything looks. What other pieces of furniture do you have to get?

4. Saja Musa

Marina, I enjoyed reading your response! I’m glad you were able to have the freedom and the courage to move out and live independently. Your independence radiates through this post especially when you mentioned how you enjoyed purchasing your own furniture. Perhaps, the main reason you enjoy coming home is not because the apartment is yours, but the fact that you chose everything that makes up your home. One question I have for you is, when you pictured moving out of your family home in the past, was your sister always part of the plan?

5. Robert Rampersaud

The best roommate you can have is your siblings instead of a friend. That is great you feel that way of having your own apartment, and it sounds like a big apartment too. I definitely felt the same way when I moved in to my own apartment. It’s like a new chapter in your life. How long you been living at your new apartment?

6. Sarvinoz Erkinova

Great Job Marina. I’m really happy for your new home. It must be really exciting to have your own apartment and live with a loved one. I can tell that you are very courageous and independent to take this step of your life. It sounds like a nice and big apartment, did you find it in NYC?

7. Kael Krummenauer

Moving out is great and a thrilling part of adult life, congratulations on your achievement! Everyone that has had their own apartment or house right after moving out from their parents knows it is a giant leap for ones self confidence and feeling of freedom. Is the experience of living and having your own place as you imagined it would be or have you encountered hardships that you did not expect?

8. Chynaworrell

I love how well you described your apartment. It was very detailed and gave me a good sense of what it looked like. What is your favorite part of your apartment?

9. nickay82

Congratulation on your new apartment! I am happy you got the opportunity to move out on your own and get to experience owning your own space. Have fun decorating and bring your home to life. You seems to know exactly what you want your place to look like and I cant wait for it to become a reality. Good luck!

10. Dylan

Moving out has recently become a goal of mine, and I’ve honestly been lost thinking about how to take steps towards it. Hearing about your success makes me happy and also super impressed. You sound really happy with your decision, and having your sister definitely makes things easier since you’re already used to coexisting. Turning the place bit by bit into your dream home seems to be the thing you’re most excited about, and it shows. What was the hardest part out of the entire process?

11. Mamadou

As someone who grew up in a house of 9 kids and 6 adults, I connect with your wanting to not live with your family on a level that I wouldn’t wish on anybody. Seeing how you are slowly turning your apartment into the house of your dreams is really nice. Are there anythings from your childhood home that you are mirroring in your new house?

12. Maria Mateo

Marina , I really like how you describe your new apartment and the way you say that you are making you home little by little. What is the best part of having your own apartment ?

13. Maria Mateo