Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Maria Mateo, Meet My Earrings

Meet my earring, my grandmother always wore a beautiful pair of earrings that always caught my attention. They are a pair of gold earrings with an emerald stone which attracted my attention more, because this stone is one of my favorites. She inherited them from her mother and I always told her how much I liked them. When I moved to the United States from my home country, my grandmother decided to give them to me. She told me that is a gift that would make me always think of her . I felt very happy and nostalgic because I thought she would give them to one of her daughters but she decided to give them to me.

I love this earring so much because is a gift from my grandmother and since she pass away I love them more because it will always make me think of her. I don’t wear them often because I’m afraid that I might loose them , but when I do wear it I feel happy to wear something it’s been through generations and that my grandmother used to wear.

1. Luzmery

Hi Maria, I really enjoyed your story. I can see you have a great relationship with your grandmother and the fact that she decided to give you the earrings instead of one of her daughters shows how much you mean to her, she knows that you are going to take care of them the way she did. If at some point you decide to give those earrings to someone because you know they are going to make that person extremely happy, who would it be?

2. Luzmery

3. Saja Musa

Maria, I enjoyed reading your story because I could relate to it. I believe that the value of items have a meaning when it holds the touch of someone dear. Those earrings are valuable because they carry your grandmothers scent. I too can relate to your story. When I migrated to the United States in 2002, my grandmother gave me earrings that I didn’t take off until I was in middle school. I outgrew them but I keep them hidden safely because they remind me of her. One question I have for you is, when you wear your earrings, are you constantly checking to see if they are present afraid you might lose them?

4. Amna Ahmed

I really like the story behind the earrings that you inherited from your grandmother. It’s really nice that your grandmother decided to give her earrings to you instead of her own daughters. It shows that your grandmother knew that you would appreciate the earrings more. I inherited a silver chain from my grandpa. Every time I wear the chain, I immediately remember my grandfather and begin to feel nostalgic. Is there another piece of jewelry that you liked from your grandmother’s collection?