Prof. Jessica Penner | D493 | Spring 2022

Abraham De La Rosa, Social Justice Brainstorm

I would like to choose Euthanasia as the social justice issue to use for my annotated bibliography.

From what I have studied about Euthanasia, I have learned Euthanasia is defined as the administration of drugs with the explicit intention to end life at the explicit request of a patient. There are 4 types of Euthanasia: active, passive, indirect, and physician-assisted suicide. It is illegal in most countries, though there are cases where doctors do carry it out even though it is illegal. In the countries where it is legal, there are several criteria that must be met before it can be administered, such as the patient’s suffering being unbearable, the patient being informed about his situation thoroughly and another physician being consulted. In recent years, more and more people are starting to be in favor of Euthanasia in the United States of America.

Two questions which I have about Euthanasia are “How can someone possibly abuse this system if it becomes legal?” and “If Euthanasia becomes legal, how can the government ensure the criteria for it are met?”

1. Abraham

My revised research question is “If Euthanasia becomes legal, what are the repercussions which patients would have to deal with?”