The three discourse communities that I am apart of is a Former military/veteran community, NYCCT Nursing Program, and residing in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Coney Island.

Previously having been part of the military comes with a lot of perks. One of those perks is meeting a lot of people from all over the country and the world. These friendships are made through daunting times and I believe that strengths the relationship through camaraderie. We value friendship, loyalty, and integrity as a whole. A lot of Veterans will hold events in multiple cities that often are created to foster a sense of camaraderie you might not have after leaving the military. These events can be hikes or outings.

Some issues that this community faces include homelessness, lack of care, and veteran suicide. These are all interconnected and stem from the lack of care and resources that veterans receive once they separate from the military. The Veterans Affairs department is notorious for providing horrible healthcare. Drug abuse is also rampant in veteran ranks which leads to homelessness and suicide.

Having been recently admitted into the NYCCT Nursing program, I am very excited into starting this new career path. I enjoy helping my community and others. Strangely in today’s times, communication is mostly over email and text, but we do meet twice a week in person. The values that this community holds is work ethic, community service, and selflessness. You can really see the educators lead by example in these matters.

An issue many students have come across so far are working and learning during a pandemic. Being a nursing student requires clinical education in order to strength and develop necessary skills needed, but it is impossible to find a hospital that will allow students right now. Communication is also a big issue right now due to the department constantly bombarding students with new tasks that have to conform to new standards and mandates.

Lastly, the community I reside in is Coney Island. These community is filled with culture and history. Many landmarks belong to Coney Island. Although communication here is very limited since the pandemic, it does happen. Usually neighbors hang out and greet each other daily. In the summer, Coney Island is a bustling hangout location. The beach is welcoming for those who want to escape a hot summer day, and the fireworks at night provide a spectacle for those who enjoy the night sky.

Currently Coney Island is plagued with drug abuse, financial burdens that stemmed from the pandemic, and lack of groceries. Drug abuse has plagued Coney Island for a while now, and you can see many addicts during broad daylight. The city has not really provided any resources in helping those addicted. Financial burdens have worsened due to the pandemic and lack of tourism. For residents of Coney Island, it is also very hard to get good groceries. There are a million bodegas but not any good supermarkets or groceries.