Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2020

Agenda: Week 8

Monday, 10/12 – Friday, 10/16

Note: The first deadline for this week isn’t until Wednesday, but don’t wait to work on these assignments until Wednesday! Spend time preparing for Wednesday and Friday’s assignments on MONDAY!
By end-of-day Wednesday, 10/14 the following activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM):
READING:
  • Review the four questions you developed about your topic (and posted last class) by asking yourself:
    • Do they ask what you really want to know?
    • If not, how can you make them more clear?
  • Review any comments I may have provided regarding your questions, and then revise your questions. (If I haven’t commented and you’d like feedback, email me or visit during an office hour.)
  • As you are reviewing/revising, ask yourself: Which question do you feel most compelled to research? Which question have you really enjoyed thinking about and want to discuss with others? That question is probably the question with a capital Q you should focus on for this project.
  • Finalize your single Research Question (out of the four) by Friday, 10/16. If you’re feeling unsure about which question you should focus on, come to an office hour this week to discuss them with me.
By end-of-day Friday, 10/16 the following activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM)
WRITING: Micro-Activity #12: Researching 
  • Decide upon your single Research Question!
  • Spend 10-15 minutes writing a substantial paragraph answering the following questions, and post it under Student Work: Unit 2 Work. Be sure to title the post: Full Name, Micro-Activity #12:
    • How did you get interested in your question?
    • Why are you interested?
    • What answers and information do you expect to find in response to your question?
    • What will you do if you find something that does not fit your hypothesis?
    • This paragraph should be around 300 words.
  • Do the library tutorial about research, which you can find here:  https://library.citytech.cuny.edu/orientation/
  • Finally, use the City Tech library’s online databases or the internet to locate one reputable source that helps you respond to your research question. Some useful databases are LexisNexis, Academic Search Complete, and Opposing Viewpoints.
  • Please note: The first source you come across will not necessarily be the best one! You will have to look at multiple sources to find one that is truly useful for your specific question. 
  • For an assignment next week, you will post a summary as well as other information about your chosen source, so save the information and article carefully.
  • DON’T STOP RESEARCHING! Continue researching and looking for sources. Find two additional sources for your annotated bibliography (the first draft to be peer reviewed is 10/21) .
    • Important: all three sources (the one you’ve found by today (10/16) and the two you are looking for now) must be of three distinct genres or media; for example, you may have one poem, one journal article, and one TED Talk, or one newspaper article, one movie review, and one scientific article, etc. There is a list of genres on the assignment guidelines.

1. Jean Holmi Germain

The city tech library database is a useful and credible source; I will be comfortable visiting its database during all my researches. There are many other sources of researches; many of them are credible; some are not credible and useful. During my researches, I would like to use also the congress library due to its credibility and its importance. Those two sources can help me convince the professors via my assignments. However, the other sources can help due to their efficiency and their database.

2. Jean Holmi Germain

3. Jean Holmi Germain

4. Jean Holmi Germain