Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2020

Once you’ve watched/read A.O.C.’s speech…

Respond to three of the following questions in the comments section of this post:

• Who is A.O.C.’s Discourse Community in this case?
  • What is the issue she is addressing?
  • Who is the intended audience for this speech?
  • Why are we being asked to watch/read this speech after reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft and discussing Discourse Communities?

Your response should be around 100-150 words.

1. Amanda

The issue A.O.C is addressing the “ dehumanizing language” that is being said to womens. A.O.C was saying these languages are Becoming a “culture” thing with men. Something that A.O.C adds is that the same men who are using these “ abusive language” are showing specifically men that it’s okay to use this type of language towards women, and mostly with these wives or daughters. The intended audience for this speech are for mens like representative Yoho that think it’s okay to use this type of language towards womens. The reason we are being asked to watch or read this speech after reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft is because to show us a different kind of speech because we have mostly done some readings. We haven’t really watched a video of someone saying a speech.

2. Amanda

3. Eriq Ahmad

The issue A.O.C. is addressing is that Yoho harassed her by calling her names and the use of violent language towards women. This is a major issue because A.O.C. referred to this issue as “dehumanizing language” against her and women in general. A.O.C. said that “dehumanizing language” is not new. This means that women who had been treated like this didn’t do anything to stop this problem. The intended audience for this speech is for both men in general and Yoho the representative, who think it’s alright to be using bad language towards women. She said that she doesn’t expect Yoho to give her an apology and will not be waiting late at night even though she knows that he wouldn’t want to if he had the chance to do so. Also, this goes for women too because women should stand up for themselves when something like this happens. She said that men use women (wives and daughters) as shields for poor behavior, and that her mom didn’t raise her to take abuse from men. I believe that we are being asked to watch/read this speech after reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft because all of them did readings that we’ve read and well for a speech, we only got to read Douglass’s speech compared to A.O.C.’s speech. Now we were able to watch A.O.C. give a speech which is pretty interesting and great to witness.

4. Isaac

The issue Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is addressing in her speech is the cultural acceptance of violence against women and the use of inappropriate and unacceptable words. Although AOC is addressing Mr. Yoho and the house of representative, AOC is also addressing women because this is a major issue that affects all of them, through her speech she is giving a voice to those women that have been verbally and physically abused, she’s giving them the power to speak up. ” I could not allow my nieces, I could not allow the little girls I go home to, I could not allow victims of verbal abuse and worse to see that, to see that excuse and to see our Congress accept it as legitimate and accept it as an apology.” women are often victims of abuse and I would say AOC’s Dc is Female victims of violence. I think the reason we are being asked to watch/read this speech after reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft is because no two speeches or two letters are the same, everyone is different and so by reading the two letters and hearing the two speeches, we can notice the differences each speaker has , the passion with which a speaker communicates with his/her audience , and how the letters don’t have a voice of their own, it is basically up to the recipient and how they will interpret it.

5. Satariac

AOC discourse community is that of women who a sexualized and talked down on by people of power. She is addressing the issue on “dehumanizing language” that is directed to women. This become normalized and is not obviously good culturally. We are being asked to read these different speeches because it helps give us prospective and direction on our writing assignment for our DC topic.

6. Joe

I believe Rep. Ocasio-Cortez has multiple discourse communities. The House of Representatives is one. Her intention is to respond to an incident that occurred on record and in an official capacity. She is also addressing Rep. Yoho directly, and women of the American public indirectly. As the Congresswoman is undoubtedly aware of the media attention that will be drawn from this incident, enabling its distribution and discussion to go much further than the podium she was speaking from. The Congresswoman decided to address what she perceived as a wrong to her gender. It is alleged that during a somewhat heated argument over policy, with Rep. Yoho, disparaging/obscene words were directed to or said about her by Rep. Yoho.

7. Rex Dovolani

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is addressing the issue of the women that are struggling from the verbal abuse of men and how it is unacceptable. She relates this to becoming a “culture” type of thing in men, meaning how they continuously insult women in many ways with no true apologies and no change in behavior. Rep. Ocasio-Cortez is trying to stand up and fight for herself and other women by exposing the commander of chief of the US. She states, “Not only have I been spoken disrespectfully, particularly members of the republican party…but the president of the United States last year told me “To go home…to another country” implication to I don’t belong in America.” This shows how the rude and abrupt behavior by men to women is unacceptable. The intended audience of her speech is the people of the United States. Not just men, women and young children as well. Rep. Ocasio-Cortez wants to make it clear that women should not be treated in this fashion in any type of way. By putting US government officials on blast this makes everyone aware of the situation. We were asked to read/watch this speech after reading Douglass, Kothari and Wollstonecraft as it is very relatable and alike to all their letters/speech as they have one purpose: to make the audience aware of a situation or problem.

• Joe

Rex I don’t think Trump meant for her to go back to her country as she does not belong here. I think it was in the context of “Love it or Leave it”. It is a common theme used when someone bad mouths the country. Do I think its appropriate no not really. But I can understand the knee jerk reaction of the comment, especially when the Congresswoman attacks one of the country’s institutions. My interpretation of the comment. Just reading some posts and throwing my two cents in. What else you wrote, I agree completely.

8. Sumon Alam

Sumon Alam

English 1121

Professor J.Penner

9/23/20

After reading and watching the speech of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, she was harassed by a politician named Ted Yoho. I believe that her Community is Women Empowerment, and how women like her should not be a victim of harassment by a politician or by any men that are taking advantage of his power because he belongs to the Republican party.
    She addresses how a republican leader harassed her and passed negative comments on her, which she is disappointed and she also compares the same situation of his daughter saying in her speech that she is the youngest of Yoho’s daughter, also referring to the president of the U.S how he also passed racist comments.
    The audience is the people who are supporting women empowerment and supporting her as well.
    We are asked and listen to A.O.C speech because she’s closely related to Kothari and Mary Wollstonecraft, because these two wants to reform the society and how people should see them, also if I had to choose which category A.O.C belongs to I would say that she belongs to Mary Wollstonecraft a because their both situation are related.

9. Sumon Alam

Sumon Alam

English 1121

Professor J.Penner

9/23/20

10. Cindy Cortes Corona

After watching A.O.C’s speech, you can tell that she has been through alot in her lifetime that the words of Ted Toho did not affect her as much as people thought they would. I saw this video not too long ago before we were given the assignment on the explore page on instagram. And while Tohos words to her were disturbing I absolutely love the way A.O.C handled the issue. The issue that A.O.C covers through her speech is cultural violence and violent language usage against women and how it is wrong. She then continues to speak on how this has also affected her through all of the places that she has worked at. Recently it has been members from the republican party and the president of the United States. This is exactly what she explains, “ I been spoken to disrespectfully, particularly by members of the Republican Party, and elected officials in the Republican Party, not just here, but the President of the United States last year told me to ‘go home’ to another country with the implication that I don’t even belong in America”. As for the speech and who she intends it be for, I believe that she is talking to Rep. Ted Toho but also mainly to the men who are in power. She ends her speech with, “Lastly, what I want to express to Mr. Yoho is gratitude. I want to thank him for showing the world that you can be a powerful man and accost women”. This shows how her speech was definitely intended for Toho, and how he sent a very wrong example to the men out in the world on how to talk to a woman, to use abusive language as if it’s okay to do so. I believe we were asked to watch/read A.O.C speech after reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft and discussing Discourse Communities in order to gain a better understanding of how a speech would sound like since A.O.C is in a DC. I think after watching this speech, we are now able to visualize how to write a speech if we choose to write one for the assignment and understand how it should sound and be organized from start to finish.

• Joe

Pls see my reply to Rex Dovolani.

11. jevon

The debate culture of A.O.C is politics. After a Republican congressman referred to Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for sexual vulgarity, she took to the House floor to condemn women’s harassment in Congress and around the country.
    On Thursday, after he violently questioned her outside the Capitol, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) took to the House floor to give a vigorous response to Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla), then offered a non-apology defending his actions. She called for the continued acknowledgment, inside and outside politics, of “discrimination and abusive language toward women.” Since then, Ocasio-Cortez ‘s speech has prompted other women in politics to come forward and express their own stories of coping with misogyny and abusive comments in her defense. Women in politics are the target audience for this address.

12. Møh Sillah

Fredrick Douglass once said in his speech,

“Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”

To break it down, Douglass is showing us how wherever or whoever the government does not put their energy into will never be safe and/or flourish. For example, we see many example of justice being denied, for so long, even right now we have to deal with police officers taking accountability for their actions but in their positions for the most part, we’re denied justice. Also, where poverty is enforced, for example, we have the project where it’s mainly minorities and we also see cases of homeless. Like they’re only mainly attacking one group as we could see and it’s only made to bring us down which comes easy to these people of power that are supposed to be bringing justice to us. Until they see that we are not less than them, we will always be in danger.

13. Dorline

Marie Dorline Desir

I read the speech that A.O.C wrote and I believe her discourse community is women fighting against sexism. The rep. Ted Yoho is a sexist man. He wanted to exclude Rep. Ocasio-Cortez from becoming his equal. I feel the purpose of calling her a vulgar insult is to degrade the Congresswoman. He wants to maintain power of control over her. But, by calling her a ” f—-b—- he is saying that to all women and condoning all females.
    One of the issues that A.O.C. is addressing sexism. She said in her speech that sexism has been around for a very long time and if just one man degrades just one woman it affects the entire community of women. To me this means that even though the Congressman has daughters, in around about way, Ted Yoho is putting his own children down. He gives other men living in our society permission to behave this way as well. The Congressman is not taking responsibility or ownership of his comments. The Congresswoman also talked about how Rep. Yoho has personal privilege. Other members in congress and the world basically allowed his poor behavior to be acceptable since he was not made accountable for his actions nor was he punished. Rep. Yoho didn’t even offer an apology to A.O.C. and swept his negative unacceptable behavior (unacceptable behavior to all women) under the rug.
    I think that Rep. A.O.C. delivered his speech for the entire nation to hear as a unit. She wanted to say that sexism dehumanizes people. Treating all people with dignity and respect makes a man decent. (p.4). It does not matter if you are powerful, white or have money because a man who has all three can still abuse women.
    We are asked to read this speech after reading Douglass and Wollstonecraft because throughout different periods in history there are still groups of people who are fighting for equality. People are still being grouped together for various purposes.

14. zhouxing shi

“Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.”,From this quotation we know that AOC is a member of the House of Representatives who representing the Democratic Party of New York . In the concept of DC, It belongs to Focal discourse community. In this speech, she pointed out those disadvantaged groups such as women were “vulgar insulted” by powerful groups such as men like representative Yoho. Under normal circumstances, disadvantaged groups will be silent, but AOC feels that she should stand up for women and resist YOHO’s insults to women. Her audiences are mainly women, and she wants to get understanding and support from them. I think Yoho is also one of her audience, because the purpose of the speech is to target Yoho’s insults to women and refuse to apologize.

15. Dewan

The A.O.C dilemma discusses the “dehumanizing words” that women are taught. A.O.C. was suggesting that these languages are now a “community” phenomenon for citizens. Anything that A.O.C adds is that the same men who use this “abusive language” specifically show men that it is appropriate for women to use this form of language, and often for these women or daughters. For men like representative Yoho who think it’s appropriate to use this kind of vocabulary for women, the target audience for this speech is. This also refers to women only, and whenever anything like this happens, they should stick up for themselves. She said that men use women as covers for bad conduct (wives and daughters) and that her mother didn’t bring her up to take abuse from men. Since reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft, the reason we are asked to watch or read this speech is that we have always done these readings to teach us a certain kind of voice. We haven’t ever witnessed a recording of a speech being delivered by anyone.

16. Daria Dubovskaia

The issue Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is addressing the dehumanized language that is being used against her and all women in general. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has raised that issue because this type of behavior is accepted by the general society, the harassed women usually don’t try to stop it. But A.O.C decided to take that speech to show that she would never let other people use this language against her, she would never use it on her own, she would never support this behavior and she wanted all women who have been in similar situations to stand up for themselves. The intended audience for this speech is the society that supports such behavior, men and women who are using this offensive language and think as it is something natural. We were asked to watch this video after reading Kothari, Douglass e.g. because the video is a quintessence of how to deliver a speech using specifics of a discourse community you belong to.

17. Andy

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez discourse community is women against harassments from men and the reason I say that is because she her self was saying how it happened to her from a man in power. How this happens every day across the country and it is a big problem and has become somthing cultural. The issue she is addressing is that this harassment against women needs to stop that it has become a great issue across the years, that it seems to be normal. The intended audience is the country, for there to be a change for men, and women because at the end she says how having a daughters doesn’t make you a decent man neither does having a wife only treating a women with respect and dignity. Which i think she is trying to say that to everyone out there, that things like this isn’t right and there needs to be a change. The reason why I think we are reading this is because like Kothar, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft A.O.C belongs to a DC she is fitting for one issue for there to be a change in this DC life in the future she makes really strong points in her speech she was really engaging to the audience. I think she made valid points about how women have been harassed in this country and how it can come from anyone. All of that is really important when you are giving a speech and knowing your DC and how to show the world to care for your DC.

18. Michalis Photiou

After watching A.O.C’s speech, the main problem she it talking about is how women are struggling from verbal abuse of men. Firstly, I would say that A.O.C’s belongs too two DC’S one being the woman rights and the other one how people must start learning how to speak to people correctly and not like they are some object. The issue she is addressing is how women in general are struggling from verbal abuse. They are getting humiliated for example as A.O.C mentioned while she was working as a waitress or at the bar she kicked so many men out of the store because of their behavior and how they treated her. It is not only that she mentioned her previous job is because Rep. Ted Yoho called her with some offensive words. One thing I really liked about her speech is the point where she mentioned Rep. Ted Yoho’s daughter, she said “imagine that I am almost at his daughter age and she talks to me like that, thank god my father isn’t here right now to listen to this man”, I believe she was right. Lastly, her audience is more likely women that want equal rights as a man and probably not only women but in general humans that heard this dehumanizing language from other people that have power over them.

19. Møh Sillah

A.O.C.’s Discourse Community is anyone that wants to genuinely step up against degrading women. This is any women who have been sexually harassed, or harassed, and disrespected in anyway shape or form. She’s addressing the issue of disrespect towards women simply because they’re women. She’s addressing how people with power think they can speak to others however they want simply because they think they have the power to. The intended audience is women and these men with power. She’s addressing the women by showing how they don’t have to deal with this and they’re not alone. But her audience is mainly the men that think they could treat women however and speak to them however. She wants to let them in on the effect it has and how even though they don’t think much of it, it could be anyone they know. It could be their sisters, mothers, daughters, etc. but they choose to ignore that and instead decide to be pigs and very disrespectful human beings.