Monday, 9/21 – Friday, 9/25

By end-of-day Monday, 9/21, these activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM)
READING: 
  • Reread Douglass’s speech and Wollstonecraft’s letter, and decide which one you want to use as a model for your speech (if you haven’t done this already). Simply put, do you want to write a letter or a speech? 
  • My discussion on writing a speech versus writing a letter.
  • If you’re still unsure, come to an Office Hour and we can talk about it!
WRITING: Micro-Activity #7: Pick a Model & Organize Your Ideas
  • Imagine you have met someone who is outside your discourse community. You want to convince them of the importance of the issue you’ve identified.
    • Set a timer and spend 20 uninterrupted minutes writing what you would say about your issue or problem. (This is a free write, so you don’t have to worry about perfect grammar or complete sentences– just get your ideas down!)
    • Include all the details you can think of related to this issue or problem:
      • Who is affected and how?
      • What possible solutions exist?
      • Who are the people with power who could help to create change?
      • Also include other important and relevant information.
    • After twenty minutes, read through and decide what information seems useful and worth using in the letter or speech you will be writing. Also, think about how you will lay out your argument; for example, in what order will you deliver the information? What is your tone? Who is the audience you will choose to address your speech or letter to?
  • The above activities are for you to keep and reflect on as you work towards the Unit Assignment (in other words, do not submit the above activity).
  • For today’s submission, (approx. 300 words) write a post in Student Work: Unit 1 in which you do the following for Micro-Activity #7 (be sure to write your Full Name, Micro-Activity #7):
    • Write a few sentences explaining which model you are choosing (the speech or letter) and why.
    • Answer this question: How do you think this specific genre will help you to make your argument?
    • Describe your audience. Think about how or why this particular group may see you (the speaker/writer) as different or even less knowledgeable than they are on this particular topic.
    • Create either an outline or a summary organizing your thoughts. Whatever you prefer to make clear (to you and to me) what the main point of your piece will be and how you will make your argument.
By end-of-day Wednesday, 9/23, these activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM)
READING:
  • Look at your research again and find a quote you might use to support the argument you are making in your letter or speech. Be sure to use the “quote sandwich” technique and cite using MLA style. For more on quote sandwiches see here. If you need help with either quoting or citing, refer to Purdue Owl or visit the City Tech Writing Center (CityTechWritingCenter@gmail.com) for help.
  • Watch and/or read Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s (A.O.C’s) speech responding to Rep. Ted Yoho. You can watch and read here.
WRITING: Quick Comment
  • Go to my Discussion Question under Student Work: Discussion and respond to at least three of the following questions in the comments section:
    • Who is A.O.C.’s Discourse Community?
    • What is the issue she is addressing?
    • Who is the intended audience for this speech?
    • Why are we being asked to watch/read this speech after reading Kothari, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft and discussing Discourse Communities?
    • Your response should be around 100-150 words.
By end-of-day Friday, 9/25, these activities are DUE (end-of-day means 11:59 PM)
  • Complete your first draft of Unit 1: Investigating a Discourse Community.
  • Email your draft of Unit 1 to your Peer Review Partner and me by Friday, 9/25.
    • Don’t worry about finding a partner! I assigned the peer review partners for you–look in my email that announced the posting of this week’s assignments. I’ve also posted them in the Course Profile.
    • Even if your draft is incomplete, send it to your partner and me–not only can your peer reviewer point out things you might not notice on your own, you receive 50 points for this draft! No judgments! You’re showing me you’ve been working!
    • If you send your draft and your partner doesn’t send theirs by the deadline, do two things: Find a trusted friend or family member to complete the Peer Review Sheet and let me know. This will not hurt your participation points!
  • Complete the Peer Review Sheet (in the Course Profile) for your Peer Review Partner’s Unit 1 assignment by Sunday, 9/27. Email the sheet to me and your partner!
    • When you’ve received your Peer Review Sheet from your partner, be sure to review it and work on finishing/improving your Unit 1 assignment. The final draft is due Tuesday, 9/29! I do not accept late submissions! 
      • I’ll tell you how to submit your assignment before the due date. Wait for my instructions.
    • Even if you’re unsatisfied with your speech or letter, submit your assignment! You’ll have a chance to revise it for the Final Portfolio at the end of the semester.
  • You may use virtual office hours to check in and ask questions. Remember, my office hours are 1-2 PM on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.