1. Why is she writing this letter? What does she want from the recipient of the letter?

Mrs. Wollstonecraft is advocating for women’s rights and education, one of her central argument is that women should be educated in a rational manner to give them the opportunity to contribute to society, my assumption is based on her preface, she states “Fighting for the rights of women, my main argument is
built on this simple principle: If woman isn’t fitted by education to become man’s companion, she will stop the progress of knowledge, because truth must be common to all; if it isn’t it won’t be able to influence how people in general behave.” (The Rights of Women; Pg.2), she is basically saying that if women continue to be uneducated then society as known will cease to be, particularly because she argues that an uneducated women can’t educate her children, this is a fact, parents are the first teachers of their children, especially a mother, a child-parent relationship not only nurtures their physical and social development but their emotional one which is one of the most important. She is basically calling on legislators (men) to aid her in creating an equal society where women have rights.

2. After reading this letter, how would you identify the DC that Wollstonecraft is a part of? Does the recipient appear to be a part of this DC or outside of it? (Really think about this!)

I believe she is part of a Women’ rights movement (DC), she is advocating for those rights she believes are indispensable towards a just society, dedicating herself to cultivate a strong sense of community within her fellow-citizens towards a common good. Although it might appear as if the recipient of this letter is outside of her DC, I believe it is within her DC.

3. Find two moments (either a sentence or a paragraph) where Wollstonecraft’s writing strategy gets your attention, and think about how you might use these strategies as models for your own writing.

Quote 1: ” Let woman share the rights, and she will emulate the virtues of man; for she must grow more perfect when emancipated, or justify the authority that chains such a weak being to her duty.” (The Rights of Women; Pg.106-107)

Explain why you find this useful, persuasive, or effective in some other way:

I find this very persuasive, she is trying to convince her reader to believe in her ideas or opinion, or otherwise prove her wrong and in doing so trying to influence him to act.

Quote 2: “Many people. . . .obtain a better reputation than, strictly speaking, they deserve, for if you work hard enough you will reach your goal in almost any race.”(The Rights of Women; Pg.82)

This quote caught my attention because she is basically challenging women to work harder if they want to have the same rights they’ve been fighting for.