Quote 1: According to one of Douglass’ entries, “This, for the purpose of this celebration, is the 4th of July. It is the birthday of your National Independence, and of your political freedom.” (par. 4). This could be just a stage-worthy and crafty line but he repeats later, I am glad, fellow-citizens, that your nation is so young” (Par. 4).

Paraphrase: Yes I am on one of the most prestigious speech spots in the country but I had gotten used to distance myself – the time to embrace had not come at that time. 

Respond: I have never heard than an American citizen refers to the United States as not “our country” but  “your country”. Apparently this was more of the case back than 170 plus years ago when black people hardly considered America as their home because of slavery and numerous crimes against their race. I can even feel how naturally Douglass stands in front of the crowd and aside at the same time.

Quote 1: Douglas says,  “Just here, the idea of a total separation of the colonies from the crown was born!“ Citizens, your fathers made good that resolution. They succeeded; and to-day you reap the fruits of their success. The freedom gained is yours”. Then, a few paragraphs later, seemingly without context, he brings short poetry or a biblical quote,

“The evil that men do lives after them, The good is oft interred with their bones”. 

Paraphrase: Follow the pattern. Don’t let evil live beyond our ancestors and us, let the good take over. He reminds the listeners, randomly hence sharply that people do not learn from their mistakes. 

Respond: History is a helix of events and some tend to repeat. I believe this is his main message – do not forget what people bore in their minds when they created this country. Learn the lesson thoroughly. 

Quote 3: Douglas finishes his historical excurse with words, “To say now that America was right, and England wrong, is exceedingly easy. Everybody can say it” (Par.6).

A very elegant example was given regarding how and why English people became American people. No one in the audience would experience neutrality at that moment, but joy. Once permission was taken, he steeply turns his speech towards the idea that America, too, can or could be wrong. It is almost impossible to get a negative reaction because he had just proven that history knows such examples;  furthermore, the example of the crowd’s interest. Silence and agreeance would match the situation best. 

Quote 4: “Would you have me argue that man is entitled to liberty? that he is the rightful owner of his own body? You have already declared it. Must I argue the wrongfulness of slavery? Is that a question for Republicans? Is it to be settled by the rules of logic and argumentation, as a matter beset with great difficulty, involving a doubtful application of the principle of justice, hard to be understood? How should I look to-day, in the presence of Americans, dividing, and subdividing a discourse, to show that men have a natural right to freedom? speaking of it relatively, and  positively, negatively, and affirmatively. To do so, would be to make myself ridiculous, and to offer an insult to your understanding.—There is not a man beneath the canopy of heaven, that does not know that slavery is wrong for him.” (p. 9-10)

Mr. Douglass uses closed questions that contain basic but important truths, and he replies to them using such words as “declared’ when arguing with them you will immediately compromise yourself. Also, he uses example that is applicable to absolutely anyone, such as in the last sentence of the quote, very straightforward logic. If arguing, you would only be able to say and justify why slavery is okay for you specifically.