Prof. Jessica Penner | OL33 | Fall 2021

Discussion Question: “Douglass’s Writing Strategies”

Describe one of Douglass’s writing strategies that gets your attention. Explain what he is doing and why it caught your attention. (Remember: for the Unit 1 Assignment, you will be writing your own speech or letter.)

Hit “reply” and respond!

1. Adam Shahin

One writing strategy Fredrick Douglas used was sarcasm and he did this on PG 1-2 on how he’s happy with how the USA is doing right now and he hopes they continue the good work but in reality he was joking and doesn’t actually enjoy it and shows their flaws. It caught my attention because this piece was written in the 1800s and I feel it was more serious back then and for Fredrick to use sarcasm was actually pretty funny to me.

2. Afroza

In Douglass speech I think he used writing strategy which is rhetorical strategies because in first page he chose the specific audience”Mr. president, friends and fellow citizens”. Also, he talk about what he really want to tell them. In his writing logos was the most important one that caught my attention.

3. Ashley Gonzalez

The writing style I found interesting in Douglass’ speech was how he questions his audience often. To me, he sounds stern and passionate about abolishing American slavery. Dominance is needed for a topic this dense so it is crucial to engage your audience in order to understand their point of view.

4. Gerardo Ramos

One of Douglas writing strategies he uses to that gets my attention is logic. Douglas does a superb job at taking each little aspect of American life and using it on the audience to talk about the issue of slavery. So much show that it really drives hard your attention and makes you think about what is going on, so if you were on the side of slavery you would second guess yourself.

5. Hadassel Gomez

One of the strategies that Frederick Douglass used is logic. It caught my attention because he uses reality, his feelings, and experiences to explain his point. No matter which person is, none of them would agree to be a slave by their own choice. There is no excuse that would make slavery seem like something good or valid.

6. Jenny

One of Douglass’s writing strategies that catch my attention is how he is outstanding and unique. His writing strategies stand out for people who went through slavery and no matter what skin color you are you are all human and have feelings. However, even though he went through that to this day people still get discriminated and get killed because there color we live a cruel life.

7. Valentina

I would say that a few of writing strategies Douglass used is the way you can know the tone in his writing and also the questions he asked really helps to bring attention to the readers as it did to me it makes you think and overthink and then helps you understand what you wants to tell you.

8. Rabbi

One of the Douglass writing strategies that caught my attention is his unique way of pulling out the main point. I realized that from his writing because through out his writing he pointed out his words very specifically. And I think that is why his writing makes more sense to me.

9. Demetrius Brown-Williams

One of the writing strategies I liked was the way he transitions into his main issue. It is subtle and not demeaning, it is respectful and full of plain facts. The way he ties in the emotions of black people to expound on the pain behind those facts, there is no blame or putting down of the other. He simply states that his people cannot celebrate because their freedom day has not yet come. The founding of the country was simply another day in the life of a slave.

10. Jacky Li

Fredrick Douglass uses many strategies in his speech to convey the irony of America having a day to celebrate their freedom when this country has taken the freedom of so many African Americans. One strategy that he uses is by incorporating his own experiences of being a slave. He talks about how the plantation that he escaped from is not far from where is giving the speech. This makes the audience wonder who this country benefits and who it does not.