Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2021

Adekunle David Daodu, Final Reflection, 1st Draft

Final Reflection

What I learned about myself as a reader and writer is but not limited to the ability to think and write about a particular problem critically. An example is a discourse community I wrote at the beginning of this lesson after submitting the project (discourse community). I got a comment from the professor about my mistake, such as; sentence structure and how I should focus on the main idea of the topic sentence. I worked on these errors in my revised unit work and learned the importance of sentence organization as a writer and the beauty of attention to details.

Personally, the lesson this experience taught me is to read my writing at least two to three times to make more sense in terms of my sentence organization. I intend to carry these skills with me throughout my professional carrier to prevent errors that could be simply avoided through proper proofreading and peer-reviewing before actually submitting the projects.

Regarding citations, I learned the importance of giving credit to the original owner of the material, either through paraphrasing or by M.L.A. format. I could still recall the professor mentioning the importance of making references, stating citations, and making sure any quote from a source is represented word to word to avoid plagiarism. Hence, as a reader and writer, and writer, I will make sure all these cautions are put into place in my future project throughout my career.

I have recently noticed a significant change in how I write and read this semester. When I write now in my other courses, such as public communication, I find myself quoting sources and paraphrasing. For instance, I will type or say a statement like “according to, title, publication, and date.” Before this semester, I never knew how to put all this logic together. Another change I discovered is in my personal life, place of work, and even social medial platforms. I give credit to any information I borrow from any source. Research tools are another excellent development I am grateful for this semester. The proper use of the school library I learned in class was a great transformation for me this semester. Reading more effectively is the improving modification I have discovered in myself. Prior to the beginning of the semester, I was not very fluent with reading or remembering things I read, but through the engagement of all the exercises of reading in the class, I gradually started realizing massive improvement with the way I reflect on discussion and reply to discussion posted in the student work page on the open-lab website. All this practice and experience have improved or developed me as a reader and writer this semester.

I have acquired many other skills in this class throughout this semester. Skills such as and not limited to; multimodal writing, proper citation (M.L.A. & APA. Format), paraphrasing, research work (Annotated bibliography), and some reading exercises. For example, that of the A.O.C., reviewed by Young, Douglass, and Wollstonecraft, helped me create my piece because I was reading that A.O.C. as a writer by using precisely the techniques they used for my work. I also quoted and cited my work using the illustration given in class. For example, while adding a quote to my writing, I made sure it was not too much by keeping it in moderation. I also made sure I started with phrases like “According to, author’s name, the page’s title, and publication” as stated above to cite properly. At the end of the writing, I added an M.L.A. formatted for review. Hence, I will transfer all these techniques to my future assignments or situations either in college or in my community by practicing all these skills, especially the reference path, to prevent avoidable mistakes.

1. nikrisyku

I enjoyed how the author was able to transfer the knowledge they’ve learned in this class to other classes and outside life and it has increased their critical thinking skills. I also enjoyed that they where able to take the professors feedback and improve their writing based on it.
    The writer explains how they where able to understand the proper method of citation and are now able to more equipped in acquiring relevant information via sources like the school library.
    The writer states that they are able to use the skills they’ve learned in other subjects and are now more likely to quote and paraphrase. Their reading and understanding ability has also increased, where they can now more effectively reflect upon something they have read and have introspective for when writing their own pieces.
    The writers 1st draft is well organized and and packed, i would just suggest adding some more details into some sections to fill them up a bit more such as maybe detailing how they’ve used the techniques in other subjects writing or how they are more comfortable when reading.