Prof. Jessica Penner | D4308 | Fall 2022

Vikramjeet Singh, My writing process

I don’t really like to write many shitty drafts. I always write just two drafts, first I start thinking about the topic main points and how I’m gonna start and ending. Then I write first draft after that in second draft I proofread first draft and delete lines that I don’t like and add couple things then proof read it again and that’s it.

1. Vikramjeet Singh

ENG1101

Shitty First Drafts

Work on your own “shitty first draft”! Look at the material you’ve generated through brainstorming and freewriting and use the process below to help you form your writing into a draft. 

Respond to each of the questions/prompts and the direction at the end of this document! 

First, answer the following questions: 

1. What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?

I decided to write about my experience after high school and why I choose to come college. I choose this story because this is biggest decision I made in my life so far.

2. What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.

That’s the decision everyone have to make after high school I had waisted 3 years, so may be after reading this someone else might don’t make mistake that I made.

3. In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story? 

4. Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing: include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.

My parents and myself.

Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc. 

1. Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where and how does your story begin?)

Yes I got this.

2. Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)

I didn’t write that yet but I have in my mind.

3. Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)

4. Falling Action (what happened after?)

5. Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)

Finally, on a new piece of paper (or a new screen) use all the writing and thinking you have done to draft your education narrative.