ENG1121, Class Session 5/6/20

Hello, dear students!

We have two very important items today:

1. Submit your Process Essay
  2. Begin work on your Final Reflection & Final Portfolio (which are standing in for the Final Exam)

Let’s start with #1

I would like you to submit your revised Process Essay by going to your old post that you created for the U3 Website on the Dashboard, adding the PDF of the essay to that site, and hitting the button “Update.”

Not sure how to do it? Look at this PowerPoint, titled “Process Essay Upload Instructions.”

If you have problems, let me know!

Now, on to #2

As I’ve mentioned before, we don’t have a Final Exam for this class, but we have a Final Portfolio. The Final Portfolio includes:

• A Final Reflection
  • Revised U1 Writing Assignment (Discourse Community)
  • Revised U2 Writing Assignment (General & Focused Analyses of a Genre)
  • Revised U3 Writing Assignment (Website based on either U1 or U2)
  • Revised U3 Process Essay (Based on U3 Experience)
  • Selected Journals

I’m going to focus on the Final Reflection today, because that’s the piece of the Portfolio that will be the most work. Please do the following ASAP:

1. Read and reread the Final Reflection Writing Assignment sheet on OpenLab. There’s a lot of information there!
  2. Focus on the brainstorming questions on the first page.
  3. Take notes as you do the following:
  4. Look back at your Journals and Writing Reflections (these should be on your email).
  5. Review your major writing projects for Units 1, 2, and 3. Think about what you learned through each project.
  6. Start thinking about how you will organize this Reflection. It doesn’t have to be a traditional five-paragraph essay; however, it does need to show how you changed as a writer/scholar and how you can use these skills in college and beyond, so there needs to be organization of some kind.
  7. Start writing! It needs to be 1,000 words, which can be scary, but if you are honest and open with your experience, it’ll be easier than you think.
  8. You are allowed to take anything from your own writing this semester–in fact, you need to quote yourself at least three times–so feel free to cut, paste, quote, paraphrase, summarize any words that are your own!
  9. The Rough Draft of the Final Reflection is due on Wednesday, May 13.
  10. The final drafts of the Final Reflection & Final Portfolio are due Wednesday, May 20. This final date is unmovable. I am required to post grades soon after this date, and I have three classes, which means I have a lot of grading to do.

Again, the Rough Draft is due Wednesday, May 13!!!

Okay, this is a lot to digest. If you have questions, you know where to find me!

Be safe & well!