Journal Week Something: The Great Curse

Clearly, I am not destined to complete this project in a timely manner. It, or I, am cursed. CURSED! What happens this weekend when I sit down to do some hardcore work?

This:
bathroomceiling

A leak from my upstairs neighbor’s bathroom, causing almost collapse of my ceiling and a large and cold hole in my ceiling.

What happens when I’m about to type this one journal report as I’m attempting to get out on-time this morning (I won’t)? The construction dudes arrive unannounced.

*sigh*

Well, at least I have Very Good Building Management who respond to stuff like this quickly.

That said, I did manage to put in about 12 hours of time on the jacket. See, we plugged in everything as one unit Friday afternoon and… it didn’t work. Well, 2 of the LED strips worked, 1 worked but incorrectly, and the other 5 just didn’t light up. Clearly, things had gone wrong.

Fortunately Friday evening a fancy new crimper arrived, which allowed me to recrimp the wires using nice, solid crimpers:
crimps

Alas, that’s the only picture I took of the 12 hours of work, though in the end I did get 6 of the 7 strips working.

I was pretty happy with things as I was working – this stuff was looking goooood. But halfway through I made a critical realization – we were using solid core wiring. Which is no good for a jacket that needs to be flexible… I was able to replace about half of the power lines, but the signal lines require a special crimper that is only in room 13. I think we’ll be OK for the demo, but it’s definitely not how the jacket would have to be for extensive use.

Ok, off to see how much the construction dudes are destroying my bathroom.

2 Responses to Journal Week Something: The Great Curse

1. stephanie s says:

Yikes! Stuff like a ceiling falling in can really put a damper on things!

2. The ceiling has already been repaired – sort of. There’s already significant water marks around the edges where old drywall meets new, I think they didn’t rip out enough of the ceiling….