Week 5 Journal Entry by Frank Mason

“If you have an idea, you just go and make it” – Massimo Banzi

The actuator I chose to investigate is Stepper Motors.

28BYJ-48 28BYJ48 DC 5V 4-Phase 5-Wire Arduino Stepper Motor with ULN2003 Driver Board

Brand Name: YKS
Voltage: 5V
Diameter: 28mm
Step angle: 5.625 x 1 / 64
Reduction ratio: 1 / 64
5 Line 4 phase can be driven by ordinary uln2003 chip can also be connected in phase 2 development board used for.
Stepper motor driver board with ULN2003
A, B, C, D four-phase LED indicates the status of the stepper motor work
Stepper motor with a standard interface, when used directly pluggable

A stepper motor is a motor controlled by a series of electromagnetic coils. The center shaft has a series of magnets mounted on it, and the coils surrounding the shaft are alternately given current or not, creating magnetic fields which repulse or attract the magnets on the shaft, causing the motor to rotate.

I believe that when it comes to Arduino, the only way to make progress is to walk into the unknown. Throughout the week, I have been searching for something that could relate to my final project and I found some interesting choices such as DC Motors, RGD LED Lights and even Piezo Speakers. But for my project I needed something that could serve as an object that will move with my game console as well as my possibly becoming more integral.

CanaKit Stepper Motor with Cable

This is a simple, but very powerful stepper motor with a 4-wire cable attached.

Features:
Step Angle (degrees) :1.8
2 Phase
Rated Voltage : 12V
Rated Current : 0.33A
Holding Torque : 2.3kg*cm
5mm Diameter Drive Shaft
Part Number: SX09238
Item Weight: 7.4 ounces
Product Dimensions: 4.9 x 3.3 x 2.4 inches

Throughout my time in this class, I have been thinking of ways to add new elements to my final project as well as maybe redefining what handheld consoles can do. I say this because when it comes to the actuator I found, I needed to find a device that would give me the most control over an extended period of time. I was also looking for something that would be able to sustain the amount of activity that would be used by playing this console.

This entry was posted in journals. Bookmark the permalink.