Journal Entry 4

1. Describe an event you attended at the company or discuss whether you met anyone during this internship you would consider as a role model or mentor. See your Business Etiquette text regarding The Importance of Role Models, Mentors and Networks.

At my internship, I work in a shared office with other graphic design intern and the art director. The art director is the top of all creative in the company. Everything is overseen by him and must be approved by him in order to be sent to the client. My art director’s name is Oleg Sarkissov. He is a proud Russian and loves to make sarcastic jokes all day to lighten up the energy in the room. Although he jokes a lot, when it’s time to execute a project, he is very blunt with feedback. This is a good thing.

I feel pressure when working on a project but its a good feeling of pressure. Its the type of pressure that keeps you motivated and hungry to finish a project. I feel pressure because sometimes I feel like I’m trying to please two people ; the client and Oleg. It’s good experience working under this pressure because if the project is executed correctly, it something I can put on my portfolio.

Oleg, although he jokes and is harsh with feedback, I never questioned his intentions. He always just wants the best and wants everyone on the team to improve. He is not biased or has favorites. He treats the other intern the same as me along with the other designers. Also another thing to keep in mind, is that the company hired two new designers since June. So Oleg, has been very patient teaching me and the other intern (who also started in June) and teaching the two new designers the ropes and processes of the company. As newbies working for new clients is challenging because you have to research and study the brand guidelines and style guides of multiple brands.

The thing that I appreciate most of Oleg is that when he sees that I am not understanding his direction or struggling executing something. He will work on my computer and demonstrate me how he approaches and works with the Creative Suite. He has showed me numerous of new tricks whether its a shortcut in a program or if it’s just conceptual ideas. Its a good experience to watch how someone experienced work because you can see live, the thought processes and then reasoning behind certain actions. Oleg has dramatically improved my sense of layout and typography. Which is something I can carry with me once I leave this internship and in my future work.

Here is his website!