A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Source 4

Mosser , Russell, and Arthur Wolf . Why Study Home Economics. Why Study Home Economics , 1955, www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQm1C_iTIJM&feature=youtu.be.

Summary : This Short Film starts out with Janice looking for a course to take next term .  Janice immediately tells her sister she is considering on taking Home Economics  but she is against it . Her sister finds it not necessary and relies on her mother to teach the basics .  The Next Day , Janice decides to talk to her teacher about the course .  The teacher tells her that you need to know more than just running a house , She shows Janice what courses will be taught in class .  The courses are preparation , Fundamental Principles Of Food Buying , Food Handling , and Preparation & Serving Of Family Meal .  Other courses later on are Psychology Of Clothing , History Of Costume , Techniques of Dress Designing , and More . This will play role in your college education as well .
Reflection : I agree with this short film . Janice sister is part of the people who are against Home Economics and consider it not useful . But Janice’s Teacher provides more of detail in each course she mentioned throughout the film . In my words , I did not know fashion was part of Home Economics . I thought the main focus was to cook , clean , and know about health . Also The teacher mentioned Psychology of Clothing , Who knew that there was emotions within a piece of cloth we wear constantly . The Psychology of Clothing focuses on creativity which is something we use when we choose our outfits . The College Section provides information on what careers opportunities there is for you in the Home Economics Field . You can be part of Food Service , Teachers for Colleges & Secondary Education , Social Services , and Nursery . I find this very interesting you can learn so many things and pursue a job at the end of your studies . It is a go for anyone with special interest !
Quotes : ” You need to Understand the Principles Of Money Management ” I relate to this for the reason many of us are in a phase were we constantly spend on things we don’t need . With a Home Economics Course you will learn on how to use money on several things such as food purchasing  .  Especially how to use the money with the income you obtain .
” Your Real Success Or Failure as A Homemaker will be determined by your ability to determine by your ability to develop good family relationships ” This part of the video opens my mind on how behavior is an important factor well needed to gain a good bond within your partner or child .

1. Frida Martinez

This is really interesting. Home economics can prove very useful. This is something education doesn’t mention. By learning these things we become less dependent on others and learn to do things like cook, sew, and clean for ourselves.

2. Joel

I liked your input of your on home economics and the stuff you didn’t know. It goes to show we learn more when we dive deep into research. From reading your work I learned that there are various topics to home economics. I also learned that home economics doesn’t isolate its course to just cooking and practicing good maintenance within a household. I found your response to your first quote interesting because I agree with it. I believe some teenagers nowadays including myself just don’t value money as much as we should. ” Your Real Success Or Failure as A Homemaker will be determined by your ability to determine by your ability to develop good family relationships ” this quote stood out to me the most as it highlights the importance of family relationship’s influence on your character.