Background

I have two distinct yet related lines of research, both pertaining to socialization and the interplay among beliefs, identity and emotion. My first line involves examining self-development, extending the existing literature on bi-dimensional self-construal, which has been shown to increase social functioning, adaptive coping strategies and self-efficacy. I study self-construal and its relations to coping and social-emotional competence, with a particular emphasis on context in order to disentangle factors that contribute to their positive self-development. Second, through a developmental psychology lens, I trace self-development back to culture and parental socialization and investigate the antecedents of those positive beliefs. Implications of my research can improve well-being and mental health.

Take a look at my most recent talk at City Tech!

Research conducted in my lab has two primary goals.

1. Exploring and understanding the intersection of culture, emotion and identity. In particular, I am interested in cultural influences on beliefs about emotions, emotional processes, and on the ways emotions relate to identity.

2. Examining how the interaction of culture with these processes affects the psychological and physical well-being of the individual within their current context.

My lab uses a variety of methods including, survey, dyadic analysis, interview, verbal and non-verbal coding, observational, experimental, and psychophysiological methods to explore these areas of research) to compare people’s affect (i.e., emotions, moods, and other feeling states) and identity within and across contexts.

COLLABORATORS AND OTHER AFFILIATIONS

Collaborators:

1. Vang, Department of Social Work, St. Catherine University
  2. Dunsmore, Department of Psychology, Virginia Tech
  3. Hillstrom, Department of Social Sciences, City Tech
  4. Chen, Department of Neurosciences, National Central University, Taiwan