Yerica R

While I was walking to my school I found Christopher Columbus  statue. The monument at this one in front of the Kings County Supreme Court , created by Italian sculptor Gaetano Russo, was erected as part of New York’s 1892, the sculpture was a gift to the city in 1892, paid for by public subscription. The funds were collected in 1892, but the sculpture was not installed until two years later. It is a copy of a work located in Madrid.  The monument consists of a marble statue of Columbus atop a 70-foot (21 m) granite rostral column  decorated with bronze  reliefs representing Columbus’ ships.

This sculpture has been described as representing the navigator “standing upon the deck of a ship alone…before the West Continent burst into view,” ship’s tiller in hand, as his “mutinous crew have all deserted him.” Emma Stubbiness (1815–1882) carved this colossal marble sculpture in the late 1860s. She was one of several female expatriate artists living in Rome at the time whom author Henry James dubbed “the white marmorean flock.” The sister of Park Board President Henry Stubbiness, she is best known for creating the bronze statue of the Angel of the Waters at the center of Central Park’s Bethesda Fountain.