USS Maine National Monument – Columbus Circle (Central Park, NY)

90a7b756-236e-4788-92f8-c6744675a763

Untitled

The USS Maine National Monument is located by the Merchant’s Gate to Central Park (southwest corner) at Columbus Circle.  The Maine Monument is one of the largest monuments in Manhattan. It was build from 1901 to 1913 to honor the 261 crew members on the USS Maine battleship who died when their ship exploded in 1898 in the Havana harbor. Construction of the Maine Monument started in 1901 and the monument was finally dedicated twelve years later. The names of those who died are chiseled in the pylon.

In the first photo above you can see the female figure who is Columbia Triumphant (bronze figure) it is said that the statue was cast from metal recovered from the Maine’s guns. The Monument consists of many figures symbolizing the triumph of the country’s navel power. Such as the Columbia Triumphant, riding a sea chariot pulled by three sea horses. At the base of the ship’s prow protrudes from the pylon is a young boy raising his arms. In his hands he held wreaths symbolizing victory and peace (but they were stolen).

Allegorical statues are shown resting against the left and right side of the monument. In the second photo is the back of the monument where a female figure with closed eyes representing justice. Behind her stands the figure of peace with on her right a man and on her left a woman with her child, respectively representing courage and fortitude.

I underlined all the specific nouns describing the USS Maine National Monument. It wasn’t until I casually went to Columbus Circle that I realized there was a huge Monument at the entrance of the park. After receiving the assignment I remembered about I took photos in front of it in the summer of 2015 without knowing the history being the statue. I never realized that the Monument was so large, that each side symbolized various strengths. Here is a link of the early construction of the Maine Monument: http://www.boweryboyshistory.com/2013/05/central-parks-maine-monument-dedicated.html