R.I.P Ms Ruby Dee

PART_1418794875156_Image1418794875151PART_1418794840366_Image1418794840362PART_1418794785992_Image1418794785979PART_1418794923838_Image1418794923835

Library Green                                                                                                                                                   Lawton Street, New Rochelle, NY 10801

The¬†oscar-nominated actress, poet, playwright, and¬†civil rights activist,¬†Ruby Dee‚ÄĮdied¬†June 11, 2014 at her home in New Rochelle. Her¬†Broadway¬†career started in¬†1943 where¬†she also met her true love and life partner,¬†Ossie¬†David in a¬†1946 Broadway play.

PART_1418800445814_Image1418800445806¬† ¬†“The New Rochelle Public Library Theatre and Library Green were named for Ossie Davis in 2005 and the renaming of Library Green for Ruby Dee is anticipated for spring 2015.” (http://patch.com/new-york/newrochelle/ruby-dee-park-library-green-dedicated-new-rochelle)

These two¬†began their journey and making their mark by appearing¬†in many films and plays¬†until¬†Davis¬†death in 2005. They were known as the¬†‚Äúpower couple‚ÄĚ of their time, both¬†committed to social justice as¬†to the¬†performing arts community.¬†Among Davis and Dee‚Äôs most-notable joint stage appearances were those¬†in¬†A Raisin in the Sun¬†(1959)¬†and¬†Spike Lee‘s‚ÄĮDo the Right Thing¬†(1989) and¬†Jungle Fever¬†(1991).

However, Dee was widely known for her own accomplishments and¬†appeared in numerous projects without Davis. In fact, Dee has contributed over 70 films for which she is famously known. One¬†of her best known films was A¬†Raisin in the Sun¬†reconducted¬†in 1961.¬†She became the first African American woman to play leading¬†roles at the¬†American Shakespeare Festival, in 1965 to as well starring in leading roles on soap operas in the 1960‚Äôs.¬†She also went on to winning¬†an Emmy for her 1990‚Äôs performance in “Decoration¬†Day.”¬†She received her first Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress in 2008 for her work in “American Gangster.‚Ä̬†Dee was obviously a phenomenal women of her 70 plus year career; she¬†received numerous awards¬†for her stage and screen performances and became a voice to many young women.

So to honor her legacy¬†Library Green will now be known as ‚ÄúThe Ruby Dee Park at Library Green‚ÄĚ

I have always loved everything about this wonderful lady. Meeting her would have meant the world to me. Although, I am struck by her lost, I’m glad¬†to come to such a beautiful park to¬†commemorate her¬†legacy.¬†I’m just so happy to see people come out, celebrate,¬†and¬†keep her legacy at the forefront of the community. just to image that this park is right across the library that I’m a member (although I live in the Bronx/ better books here). And, this is a place people can enjoy the beauty of history by a simple¬†walk in the park enliven by the hall of fame. ¬†This¬†one of New Rochelle’s great public spaces.

It was the New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson and a¬†commemoration committee idea to rename the park in Ruby Dee’s name.¬†Mayor Bramson stated, ‚ÄúLibrary Green park represents so much of what Ruby Dee held dear- beautiful gardens, a space welcoming of all ages and ethnicities, and a platform for arts and culture- not to mention our historic Walk of Fame. It is a fitting location for a tribute.‚ÄĚ

She didn’t only play outspoken movie roles that touched many of our hearts, but she also acted out on social justice issues in America, fighting for many African American rights as citizen. We have Ruby Dee to thank for being one of the advocates who’ve broken through the racial barriers on Broadway, and Television.

“We are artists also, and workers above all. We are image-makers. Why can’t we image-makers become peacemakers too?  РRuby Dee

1 thought on “R.I.P Ms Ruby Dee