Our Places: How we Commemorate, Re: Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

A place in Brooklyn, New York with many monuments is Prospect Park. In my last visit to this location, I came across this amazing monument of Abraham Lincoln. It is one of many across the United States. Abraham Lincoln, is considered to be one of the most successful presidents of all time. On September 22, 1862, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation which took full effect on January 1, 1863. This was an order that freed the slaves in the Confederate States. Although not all the slaves were immediately set free, it paved the way for the 13th Amendment which would free all slaves in the United States a few years later. (whitehouse.gov)

It is always great to research individuals who have had an impact in history. Personally, I feel that our 16th president is one of the most successful presidents in the history of the United States of America. Not only did he have an impactful political career, but was known to be a bright attorney. He is a great person to research when pursuing a legal career.

Works Cited:

“Abraham Lincoln.” The White House. The White House. Web. 15 Dec. 2014. <http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/abrahamlincoln>.