AFRICAN BURIAL GROUND

This photo was captured inside the African Burial Ground Museum located at 290 Broadway, New York, it depicts a women and child attending the funereal service of a decedent. The museum uses sculptures to  illustrate how a burial would look back in the 18th-century. Visiting this museum was a tremendous experience which provided a lot of insight about my history.

BACKGROUND

In 1991 the United States General Service Administration (GSA) purchased a plot of land with the intentions for construction of a 34-story office building located in Lower Manhattan adjacent to the Ted Weiss Federal Building. Historical maps indicated this site may have been an 18th-century African Burial ground. Prior to GSA making this purchase archaeologist conducted an excavation of the land which led to the finding of roughly 400 African men, women, and children skeletal remains. After making this discovery an investigation concluded this was an actual grave site for free and enslaved Africans during the 17th and 18th centuries.  For more information on this story click the link below the picture.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Naquan26

Welcome readers and bloggers to Justices For All, my name is Naquan and I would like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm currently a college undergraduate attending New York City College of Technology for Law and Paralegal Studies. I plan on getting a bachelors and master degree from my current college and one day owning my own business. In my spear time I like to study chess read novels and meditate. The reason I decided to start a blog is to raise awareness for prisoners who can't speak out about the injustice taking place within the New York State Prisons. Martian Luther King Jr. once said "injustices anywhere is a threat to justices everywhere." I would like to use my knowledge of the law and discuss current topics going on with the prions systems today. Feel free to leave me a message or email me at dwgman42@gmail.com.