(image by lloydsscreenies via creative commons license)
Hope your term going swimmingly! We upgraded our WordPress system not too long ago and want to highlight the features of the new update for our users. There are plenty more features than this, particularly on the back end, and if you’re interested you can have a look here. What’s highlighted below are those features that will be most frequently encountered by our users.
WORDPRESS 4.0 “Benny”
- Featured image previews now support .bmp files
- Featured Image meta box is now hidden for contributors lacking upload capabilities
- New supported oEmbed providers: CollegeHumor, Issuu, Mixcloud, YouTube playlists, TED talks
- Streamlined Language management right from the dashboard
- Display embed previews for audio/visual URLs in Visual editor content box.
- Page scrolling now scrolls post content box.
- Edit Post/Page menu bar sticks to top of content box when scrolling (Visual and Text editor).
- Color picker was re-added to the Visual editor
- Add Media Grid view option (default) for Media Library
- Add “Bulk Select” button to Media Grid view to delete multiple items
- Add oEmbed support for TED talks, Mixcloud, CollegeHumor.com, Issuu
- Expand oEmbed support to include YouTube playlist URLs and Polldaddy’s short URL format
- Remove Viddler oEmbed support
- Update SlideShare oEmbed regex
- Improved media experience on small screen sizes (embedded videos now responsive)
- Native video and audio shortcodes now support Flash playback looping
- Comments in trash can now be marked as spam.
- Display plugins list as grid, with thumbnails, on Add New screen.
- Add popup window with plugin details (displays info from plugin’s directory page).
- Add “Beta Testing” tab to Plugins screen for new features-as-plugins.
- Improved keyboard accessibility in the Add Media panel
- Improved screen-reader support for Customizer sections
- Makes links in help tabs keyboard accessible
- Improvements for screen-readers when managing widgets in the Customizer
That’s all for this week. As always, email us anytime with your questions!