On June 2, 2020 we released version 1.7.43 of the OpenLab. It included new features and a few minor updates to plugins and themes.
New Features and Changes
We made one small and three large changes to cloning functionality on the OpenLab, as well as one bug fix.
- We expanded cloning to include clubs, in addition to courses and projects.
- We expanded shared cloning so that faculty, students, staff, and alumni can clone projects and clubs that have shared cloning enabled. Only faculty can clone courses. All courses, projects, and clubs cloned via shared cloning will display credit to the original author(s).
- All pages, posts, and menus that were published on sites being cloning will be published on the newly-cloned site. This is a change from previous functionality, where everything was in draft form. Site admins can review published pages and posts and move anything to draft as necessary.
- Previously, forms created with the Gravity Forms plugin weren’t cloned to a new site. Now all data from Gravity Forms (except any connections made to a personal Dropbox account) will be cloned to the new site.
- We fixed an issue that prevented folders in the files section of a group profile from being cloned. Now, if folders are being used to organize files, the folders will be cloned to the new site.
We made a number of improvements to the Education Pro theme:
- We made the main navigation “sticky” so that it remains visible at the top of the page, as you scroll down.
- We streamlined the available menus so it’s more intuitive to create menus and understand where they will appear on the site.
- The widget area at the bottom of the theme is now activated, so you can add widgets to both the sidebar, and the bottom (or footer) of the site. We also removed the OpenLab footer when this theme is activated in order to reduce the cluttered appearance of two footers.
- Previously, if you uploaded your own custom header image, there was an automatic transparent color overlay added to the image. We’ve removed this overlay so that the image will appear with the original colors. This means you’ll need to be careful that it doesn’t make the site title—which appears over the header image—unreadable.
- We enabled the featured image functionality, so you can upload a featured image for different pages and posts.
We made two improvements to the OpenLab Attribution plugin:
- The plugin is now network activated plugin so it’s automatically active on all sites.
- For block editor users, it’s now more visible in the block editor, so the button to add an attribution is on the top level of the block toolbar.
We made a few small fixes to the OpenLab Gradebook plugin:
- There was a bug causing letter grades with a ‘+’ or ‘-‘ to appear with only the letter grade visible in Firefox, and with the +/- slightly cut off in Chrome. This was just for the instructor view; students could see all grades with + or -.
- The rows in gradebooks with more than 5 students were becoming progressively more misaligned farther down the page.
- We added a deletion warning when deleting an assignment to double check before it’s actually removed. This will help prevent the accidental deletion of assignments from a gradebook.
- DCO Comment Attachment: This plugin allows commenters to attach files, such as images, or even PDFs, Word docs, and others, to their comments. There’s also automatic embedding for YouTube and Vimeo videos, as well as Twitter and Facebook posts. For security reasons, this functionality is only available to logged in members of the OpenLab.
- Wonder Gallery: This plugin allows you to create playlists and other galleries that include videos embedded from YouTube, Vimeo, and other hosts, as well as images, and posts from your site.
- NextGEN Gallery: This photo gallery plugin provides many different options for creating beautiful and responsive photo galleries.
- Category Tag Pages: This plugin allows you to add categories and tags to pages. Note that the categories and tags won’t appear on individual pages, as they do for posts, but the pages with categories or tags will appear in category and tag archives.
We made a few small accessibility fixes to improve color contrast ratios in the following themes:
As always, please contact us with any questions!