Part 2 of 5 of: Explore the OpenLab and Learn How to Get Help with Using the OpenLab
This week, we continue our 5-part self-guided series and ask: How do others use the OpenLab? How can I get help using the OpenLab? The tasks below will help everyone explore how members of the City Tech community use the OpenLab to learn, teach, build community, and pursue other scholarly and pedagogical interests. These tasks will also show how to get support using the OpenLab.
- Task 1: Check out In the Spotlight, our blog series that features a different exemplary site each week. Begin with the Spotlight Archive:
- If you are a student, you may want to scroll through some student ePortfolios and clubs.
- If you are faculty, you may want to scroll through some spotlighted courses.
- If you are staff, you may want to look at some spotlighted projects.
- Task 2: Check out our example courses.
- Task 3: Check out our in-house site Open Pedagogy on the OpenLab: A site for sharing and discussing resources about open digital pedagogy. This site will help you understand what we mean when we talk about learning/ teaching online and in the “open”:
- In the Open Pedagogy blog, the OpenLab team takes on some of the pressing debates concerning technology, learning, and virtual classrooms, including whether to offer flexible grading and deadlines during the pandemic and how to make digital work accessible to all.
- Our monthly blog series, Pedagogy Profiles, features examples of how City Tech’s educators use the OpenLab to support their work. The blog series highlights how these educators embody a commitment to digital, public-facing education.
- Task 4: Continue to explore the community using various search and filter options:
- You can search through people, courses, projects, clubs and portfolios using the menu at the top and the magnifying glass in the top-right.
- You can also search courses, projects, clubs and portfolios using the links titled by type of site (courses, projects, clubs, portfolios) under the slider. From the search page, use the filters (top-right) to tailor your search.
- Task 5: As you explore, you may find yourself inspired to start creating your course or ePortfolio. To get help with these tasks and using the OpenLab you can:
- Check out our Help Documentation – it has everything you need to get started joining and building sites on the OpenLab. Get help with everything from Creating a Course, inviting students,sharing materials, and using the new WordPress block editor
- Throughout this summer, we have virtual office hours: these are one-on-one consultations with a member of the OpenLab team. You’re welcome to meet with us at any stage of your work, whether you are just starting to think through how you will set up your site or whether you’re more advanced.
- We are available to support you seven days a week via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll be in touch next week to help you create on the OpenLab.