Thursday, February 22, 2018, 5:30-7:30pm (Faculty Commons, N227)
*Refreshments will be served. (Thanks to the Faculty Commons for its generous support of this event!)
*Part-time City Tech faculty are eligible to receive a stipend for participation.
*Please RSVP by commenting on this post. Please share this invitation with your colleagues at City Tech and beyond!
Join the OpenLab Team, City Tech faculty and staff, and CUNY colleagues at our next Open Pedagogy event, where we’ll be discussing accessibility in open digital pedagogy. This is a follow-up event to Accessibility, Disability, and Open Digital Pedagogy held in Fall 2015 and we’re excited to extend the conversation about how designing the college experience with accessibility in mind benefits our communities. We’ll learn from one another about how standards and accommodations vary across the disciplines. Our discussion will focus on universal design and how it can be incorporated into our pedagogy, mentorship, and administrative work on campus and beyond.
We’ll consider the following questions:
- What is universal design, and how does foregrounding it help to address accessibility without tokenizing or stigmatizing disability?
- How does reframing accessibility as an ethical and pedagogical imperative open up new possibilities for universal design?
- What are the disciplinary challenges and pedagogical benefits of universal design?
- What opportunities does digital pedagogy offer for universal design and accessibility efforts?
- “Accessibility according to actual people with disabilities” Published 4 June 2017, by Hampus Sethfors, https://axesslab.com/accessibility-according-to-pwd
- “What is the difference between accessible, usable, and universal design?” https://www.washington.edu/doit/what-difference-between-accessible-usable-and-universal-design
- “Universal Design in Education: Principles and Applications,” https://www.washington.edu/doit/universal-design-education-principles-and-applications
- George H. Williams, “Disability, Universal Design, and the Digital Humanities”
OpenLab Help Documentation on Accessibility:
- Making Your Work Accessible (The OpenLab)
- Reading Ease and Accessibility (The OpenLab)
Join us for an accessibility-athon!
This event will have a follow-up workshop, where we’ll teach and implement practical strategies for making your OpenLab sites and content accessible. Stay tuned for more details!
9 thoughts on “Open Pedagogy Event (Th 2/22): Accessibility in Open Digital Pedagogy”
I’ll be there!
I’ll be there as well. Looking forward to a great conversation about these important topics.
I will be there!!!
I will be at both the event and the workshop!
I’ll be there. Looking forward to it!
Looking forward to this!
Looking forward to joining everyone there tomorrow!
I hope to attend. Might be a few minutes late.