Introduction

Hi, my name is Omoijuanfo Oluwanifemi and I welcome you to my Dental Hygiene ePortfolio. Unlike most of my peers I am very unfamiliar with the dental field. I have never worked in a dental office and prior to Fall 2019 I have never been to a dentist as a patient. Dental hygiene was never on my radar, I had just received an Associates degree in Liberal Arts and there was pressure to choose a career so I looked up careers in the health sector and decided on dental hygiene.

While I attended a community college I took courses in psychology, computer programming, accounting and classes towards a nursing degree, but, nothing stuck.  I have an intense fear of failure that has kept me from trying things out. In fact when I first got into the program I was certain that like the rest of academic paths I had tried, I would not see it through.  But here I am today, so close to the finish line and I am extremely  glad I decided to explore the career in dental hygiene because with each passing day, every class I took, every textbook I read, every assignment I turned in, every patient I saw, my passion and love for the program grew and now I can’t picture myself doing anything else. Being in the program has given me strength, perseverance, stability and a sense of fulfillment that I plan to take with me as I continue on the career path.