Learning Self Analysis

For my Community Health Nursing clinical, I was assigned to Stein Senior Center. It is located at 204 East, 23rd st Manhattan, New York. It is a senior center that provides free lunches, services; classes and activities that promote better health. Stein senior center also offers socialization and independence for adults 60 years and older of the community and the neighboring communities. In this clinical, we nursing students were allowed to read blood pressure of the older adults and present presentations on essential topics such as the importance of Hydration, Blood Pressure, Diabetes Mellitus, importance of exercise and many more. We also organized dance exercise for the wellbeing of the seniors.

Objective 1

Demonstrate individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.

I maintained confidentiality by not providing the readings of blood pressure to other seniors and not write their BP reading next to their name. I also took verbal consent of the seniors before checking the BP. My group and I did a presentation on the importance of hydration, and we were able to complete our assignment within the designated time frame. We submitted the flyers, handouts and printed the pre/posttest on time. My group and I worked closely with the staffs at the senior center to organize our presentation. During any confusion, we seek help from the staff members and our professor without any hesitation, and they were always willing to help you. I participated actively in the entire task that I was assigned there and dressed in a professionally and was on time every week.

Objective 2

Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.

Stein center does not provide any medical and treatment to the seniors. They have AED to use when in need. If I find abnormal values while checking the BP, I notify my professor. I ask seniors about their past medical history and if they were taking any OTC or herbal medications at home and teach them the importance of letting their Primary Care Physician know. I do think that one’s culture and emotion make a hugely significant impact on their health status. No physical assessment was provided at Stein senior center, but I was able to provide education about the importance of maintaining a healthy BP through being physically active and eating a healthy diet. To evaluate the outcome of my care, I asked them if there is anything else to be done to make them feel comfortable.

Objective 3

Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting.

I was able to use therapeutic communication techniques to the seniors and the staffs at the senior center. I showed respect to the entire individual and listened to what they were speaking. I think that as a nurse, it is very imperative to show respect because, when we show respect, the seniors become less hesitant to talk. When in doubt, I did not hesitate to ask my professor, fellow students, and the staffs. When the seniors had questions that I wasn’t able to answer, I asked my peers and professor about it. Like mentioned before, when doing the BP reading and I find an abnormal high breading, I inform my professor.

Objective 4

Establish a environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice.

We did presentations on hypertension and dehydration, which are two of the common issues that are seen in the elderly community. We were able to create an environment that was engaging and learning friendly. We also provided handouts, pretest, and posttest. The handouts are for them to keep for more information. Pretests are given to see their knowledge on the topic before the presentation and posttest to see how well they understood the issues after our presentation. The posttest checked the learning outcome of the older adults.

Objective 5

Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community

Nursing informatics is the use of computer science and technology and research with nursing to provide better care for the patient. How did I utilize the principles of nursing informatics in the clinical area? All the information provided to the older adults regarding the importance of hydration and hypertension was all based on evidence-based practice. The research was done within the last five years. I was able to maintain confidentiality by not providing information of one client to others.

Objective 6

Demonstrate a commitment to professional development.

As a nurse, its imperative to keep up to date information and to use evidence-based practice research is essential as well. The information that my team and I used and applied for our presentations were from appropriate current literature. We did our research according to our clients’ needs. Nurses now days have to be very vigilant regarding learning new information because there are many sources and articles, which are not an evidence-based practice. I am up to date with current evidence-based practice on my own time. How do I self-evaluate? While providing teaching to the older adults, I analyze how I teach and check if I can answer their questions correctly or not. If I lack something, I go back and try to find the solution.

Objective 7

Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice

The ANA standard of practice includes assessment, diagnosis, outcome, planning, implementation, and evaluation. I was able to use that standard of practice at Stein Senior Center. Such as while interviewing I was able to see which topic the older adults need more education. I provide education and evaluate the outcome by asking for teach back. I maintain my professionalism and act accordingly to the Center policy. I took accountable for my action. The mission of Stein Senior Center is to cultivate friendly relations among members at the center and the general public. Also providing services with an emphasis on group growth. I made sure to enforce the mission of the center.

Objective 8

Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team.

At the center, we were not allowed to collaborate with the healthcare team of the older adults and discuss their concerns and problems. I was able to coordinate client-care based on their needs by teaching them about the importance of checking their blood pressure on a regular basis and also the importance of staying hydrated and being physically active. I identified healthcare resource by offering information on how to take BP, why it is necessary to keep hydrated especially during summer and in older adults and importance of being physically active. While during the presentation, we emphasized on making healthy lifestyle choices. So far, I haven’t got the opportunity to assist any client to make connections with other community agencies.

Objective 9

Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services

Thorough research of the community was done to recognize the gap in the care system through windshield survey. The financial burden on the seniors in the center and the neighborhood has been increased dramatically because of the expensive neighborhood. They had gotten expensive since the past decade, and the older adults were not able to afford food. Few places sell food at affordable price. Stein Senior Center provides cheap food. They charge 2$ for a plate, and if the seniors were not able to pay it was fine. They are welcome to pay any amount for a plate.