Week 4: Upload Student “Profile Interview” and Consider the Purpose and Role(s) of Journalism. Due Wed., Sept. 29

Excellent job, students, responding to the article on the terrifying conditions for journalists still operating in Afghanistan — especially female journalists. As several of you noted, protecting the “freedom of the press” is difficult anywhere but, unfortunately, is under threat in so many parts of the world.

For this week, I ask you to further think about what the role of journalism ought to be — and how it is often practiced here in America — and abroad.

According to Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel, the primary purpose of the news is that it:

“keeps us informed of the changing events, issues, and characters in the world outside. Though it may be interesting or even entertaining, the foremost value of news is as a utility to empower the informed. The purpose of journalism is thus to provide citizens with the information they need to make the best possible decisions about their lives, their communities, their societies, and their governments.”

To further clarify the precise roles of the media (also known as the “Fourth Estate”), please read “Essentials of Journalism”. We’ll be exploring these “essentials” throughout the semester.

One example of the media as a political “watchdog” is a report by the New York Times last week that suggested the U.S. military used a drone missile to kill innocent victims in Afghanistan. At first the military denied this but yesterday admitted to making a serious mistake and “apologizing” for it (Read article HERE). Certainly, the pressure of the media, in this case, forced the military to “come clean” and admit the truth.

Another prime example of “watchdog” journalism is the work of Bob Woodward (who helped expose President Richard Nixon’s Watergate scandal in the 1970s). The story was turned into the famed film All the President’s Men (watch film trailer here) Woodward is still going at it writing THREE books about the Trump Administration and the Biden transition. His latest book is entitled “Peril”.

Please read this review of Woodward’s new work: PERIL. Consider the many interesting topics relating to the “dangerous” — often secret — actions of the Trump Administration that indeed put our nation in peril, time and time again.

Post Assignment: In a paragraph (or two), discuss an example from the media (an article or feature) that shows how the media is doing its job 1) serving as a social/political “watchdog” (keeping a watchful eye on American politicians and other prominent figures, our corporations and institutions) 2) encouraging public discussion on an important topic, OR 3) providing readers useful information to help make an “empowered decision”.

Alternately, post a response to what you found interesting in the review of Bod Woodward’s book PERIL.

A good way to do the above assignment is to follow features in the New York Times. Here is a link to access a free CUNY  New York Times Pass: http://cityte.ch/nyt.

POST DUE DATE: Monday, Sept. 27th

Interview Assignment: Now that you’ve read about the interesting new editor of Ebony Magazine, I also ask that you put into practice your own journalism skills by interviewing a fellow student and creating a profile of him or her. Read the JournalismStudentProfile2021 for directions. Also review this Sample Profile Assignment to use as a model. Another good question to ask in your interview is: What drew you to take a journalism course and what media/political/social issues concern you most?

This week I want you to contact your interview partner (you can get contact information by responding to their self-introduction under “our community”).

Discuss how you want to perform the interview (on zoom, email, or google.docs). The final assignment is due in two weeks. You can upload (and work on) this assignment in our googledocs dropbox. To upload press “new” (on upper left corner) and “upload file” from your computer.

Interview Due Date: Wed., Sept. 29

INTERVIEW PARTNERS:

Anna Lin and  Caroline Rodriguez
Jailyn Lavado and Steven Bachoo
Chala Jamison and Rebeca Reyes
Pending and  Sergio Tello
Darnell Black and  Keyri Jimenez
Kashfi SIDDIQUE and  Melissa Dos Santos
Eric Ayala and  Judley Leriche
Jasmine Henry-Alleyne and  Dominic Tuzo
Keyri Jimenez and  Sean Suarez
Mosche Carrington and Rachel Xie
Ruqayyah Yar and  Caroline Rodriguez
Anderson Lazo and Marina Rodrigues
Daniel Gayoso and Albert Frontela

1. Mark Noonan

SEPTEMBER 22, 2021 / KASHFI SIDDIQUE /

Journalism is the profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, and news media that prepare for the news to be broadcast. Journalism’s job is to inform the public about what’s happening around the world. A true journalist does research, write, edit, proofread, and interview. Once the journalist reports the information that information is obtainable to anyone desires to receive it. The purpose of journalism is to give people the information they need in order for people or society to make better choices about their lives and communities.

2. Mark Noonan

SEPTEMBER 22, 2021 / EP1CERIC /
    In the last weeks there has been surprising media coverage emerging from our “country’s” southern boarder. I do expect that maybe a number of students have chosen this article as well so I will try to keep my response unique. Since the Biden administration has taken office the crisis at the Rio Grande has been swept under the rug. However, journalists at the NY times have given us a glimpse of the mayhem. What seems to already be a now iconic photo, is a boarder patrol ranger whipping a desperate Haitian migrant is what were greeted with. Thousands of migrants can be seen in videos receiving humanitarian aid in large clusters of what looks like covid cesspools’. What the journalist did a good job in is exposing our government and shining a light on President Biden. Biden voters had got him into office with VP Kamala Harris with the intention that our boarders will remain a pair of open arms to those who seek refuge. But now we see President Biden is using a public health rule that was put in place by the Trump administration to dispose of migrants at our doorstep. This piece of information is great journalism as it exposes something about our government that Biden voters will be very displeased by. Not all migrants have been turned away but it’s examples of good journalism like this that gives the public a sense of transparency during a humanitarian crisis.

3. Mark Noonan

Anna L.

Journalism is a report on current events based on support with proof or evidence and facts. Journalism is where the media gather and publish information. Here is an interesting New York Times article that I personally think it’s interesting. https://www.nytimes.com/article/fashion-week-anna-wintour.html This article talks about the way we shop and dress has changed radically. This media shows us the updates on the fashion world as a way of showing journalism.

4. Melissa Dos Santos

I found myself with some struggles with what to write for this post. I’m a news junkie – I absorb mainstream news outlets such as NYT and RT – yes, it’s Russian, but believe it or not, it is considered “mainstream.” I love Consortium News (founded by Robert Perry, a journalist who helped uncover the Iran Contra scandal in the 80s) for its investigative reporting and analysis, both foreign and domestic. As well as Jonathan Turley’s scholarly blog posts analyzing bizarre and hot button law cases, just as much as I love to read and listen to Oriana Fallaci’s fiery interviews with controversial leaders from the past for a historical understanding of geopolitics. I also enjoy Substack, Glenn Greenwald’s critiques of establishment narratives in particular. There are others, including podcasts, but for brevity, this is a blog post.

There is a common theme in almost all of my preferences: truth to power, free, critical thinking, and analysis with neither think tank nor corporate sponsorship or control or influence, which, while acknowledging the journalist’s bias, allows me to think for myself and draw my conclusions and formulate my own opinions.

• Mark Noonan

Melissa, Thanks for this eloquent statement on the impetus behind all these great alternative sites: the desire to speak truth to power without commercial interference. I’ll be citing some of your keen points (and references) in my next post as we move on to further interrogate the forces that tend to block in-depth, insightful, fact-driven investigative journalism.

5. Sean Suarez

I would like to base my post on the situation that is currently happening on Rikers Island. Many news and media outlets are providing coverage on the fact that at least a dozen inmates have died to this crisis. The media has served as a watchdog by covering protests that have happened outside City Hall and the courts. Protestors are demanding for inmates to be released, several members of Congress agree that something must be done. Mayor De Blasio has finally visited the jail complex after receiving pressure from News and others. But the news is calling him out because he was given a sugar coated view and only shown what he wanted to see and not what is actually happening.

The news has provided consecutive coverage to this crisis. I hope something is done to prevent more death and to rehabilitate the inmates and all those involved. I do not feel it fair for a jail sentence to double as a death sentence. Also even though they are inmates they should still be viewed as people and not be treated worse than animals. How can you expect them to be reintroduced into society after all the violence they were exposed to? Some sort of rehabilitation program should be introduced. The media has done a good job to bring this ignored matter to sight and I hope the government steps in before more people die.

• Mark Noonan

Sean,

You picked a really important example here of the pressure the media can put on institutions and politicians to take a problem seriously. I also appreciate your thoughtful comments on how we need to better treat those in the prison system.

6. Jimenez

The media is constantly fulfilling its purpose which is to chase and demand answers for the public which will sway them into one perspective and another. Throughout this article, it was very apparent that the media is just watching and waiting for one slipup to call out that mistake and show the public who the person “really is”. For example, I noticed that in the article only certain quotes were picked from certain conversations or things that were said in the media before. There isn’t a context layer behind everything so if I was reading it without having background knowledge, I’d be able to take a side versus another. American politics will always agree majorly in one direction. I feel as though socially it has to do with the times as well. Before it was the Republican party since the American values were much more on the conservatie side. As times progressed its flipped over to liberal. I feel as though it does have an impact on the audience and thought process because we don’t have knowledge on how to control the media. We allow the media to control us which is a problem.