Use this week to catch up on late/missing posts. Attend Annie Correal’s Lecture this Thursday 11/19 (1-2:15) for Extra Credit!

1. Hi Everyone: Be sure to catch up with any missing/late work this week. We will begin our discussion of the Woman’s Rights Movement next week. I am offering EXTRA CREDIT, however, for reading Annie Correal’s “Love and Black Lives, in Pictures Found on a Brooklyn Street” and attending her Zoom lecture this Thursday 11/19 (1-2:15 pm). Correal is a New York Times author who will be speaking to City Tech students about writing her essay and her job as a journalist.  I will give you EXTRA CREDIT if you post your thoughts on the event (BELOW). The event is being organized and hosted by Professor Caroline Hellman and promises to be both lively and informative.

HERE IS THE LINK INFORMATION:

DATE AND TIME:  Thursday, November 19, at 1:00

Please join us for New York Times journalist Annie Correal’s visit with the City Tech community. Correal will be discussing her trajectory as a writer and the story behind her 2017 article “Love and Black Lives, in Pictures Found on a Brooklyn Street.”   

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 811 4776 3239
Passcode: 680059
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,81147763239#,,,,,,0#,,680059# US (New York)

1. Jingquan Feng

After I read “Love and Black Lives, in Pictures Found on a Brook Street” by Annie Correal, I found some interesting things in this article. In this article, Annie Correal picked up a photo album containing many black families’ photos. Then she decided to find this album’s owner because it must be a mistake that someone accidentally drop it. During finding the album owner, Annie Correal met Mr.Burton, a man who knew the people in the album. He said that this album belonged to the Taylor family, and the women in the album were Etta Mae Taylor. After that, Annie Correal found some information about Etta Mae. Etta Mae was born in 1918 in Wilson, North Caroline. She left school in her seventh grade and become a housekeeper in a private home. In 1940, Etta left Wilson and moved to Suffolk. At Suffolk, she met Isaiah Taylor and married him when she was 22. Isaiah Taylor was a deliveryman who just finished high school. Everything seems fine until 1941, when the US entered the Second World War. Isaiah joined the army and was sent to Tinian, an island in the Pacific. After the war, Etta Mae and Isaiah Taylor reunited in New York and started their new life. Their life was perfect; they went to the club every weekend, and they got dogs and cars. However, on Aug.5, 1971, Isaiah got cancer and passed away. Etta Mae stayed at Lincoln Place, where she lived with Isaiah. She didn’t give up on her life; she continued to work as a babysitter; everything was good until she passed away in 2010. In this article, I can see black people in New York can have a perfect life. I also found out that the army had racial segregation, which is absurd because they should be comrades in arms, not enemies. There was a sentence I like in this article, “New York was the place to be.” And I agree with it because New York is an excellent place to start a new life; it has many opportunities waiting for you to discover.

• Mark

Nice overview of Correal’s article, Jingquan. Your final lines are particularly insightful:

“New York was the place to be.” And I agree with it because New York is an excellent place to start a new life; it has many opportunities waiting for you to discover.

New York is definitely a dream space for so many who come here and experience its freedoms and opportunities. Terrific points.

2. Afshan S (Lil B)

The conversation with New York Times journalist Annie Correal was incredibly interesting; I appreciated not only her curiosity in what the found photo album contained, but her determination to follow through and find as much information about the people in the photos as possible. In general, we don’t really get to learn much about the lives of the people who lived in New York, especially the lives of people of color and how they made this city their home. We often only hear stories of gentrification in the news, but not of the triumphs of the communities that came before it, so it was nice to see that Correal felt a sense of responsibility of telling their stories so that they aren’t forgotten, and that they are given a stronger voice to ward off the negative effects of gentrification. I appreciated that she started off her presentation by asking the audience where in the city they came from, and that the overwhelming majority in attendance was from Brooklyn and Queens, which she noted as being one of the most diverse places in the entire country, and it’s nice to be reminded that we are all part of one larger community, and that it is imperative that we strive to help each other. Correal also noted that she is a white woman, and that we all have a duty of telling the stories of the voiceless, especially of people of color.
    By asking around the neighborhood, Correal was able to find out that the photo book belonged to one of the first families to move into Crown Heights, escaping from Jim Crow laws in the south, signaling the great migration of blacks from the south to the northern states. Despite racism still being very present at this time, with white people fleeing urban cities for the suburbs, also known as “White Flight,” black communities were able to thrive. The fact that the photo album exists is proof that the family who held this had some means of getting a photographer or having a camera available at a time where photos weren’t necessarily cheap, and that a lot of love and care went into the preserving of it. Another point brought up is how black people aren’t represented well enough in the history of the military and the photographical archives. Correal brings up how there were only 2-3 photos of black servicemen out of 5000 photos that were of the white men serving, and that we need to continue to bring to light more service people of color to show that all of its citizens would die for this country.
    The Q&A portion of the presentation was interesting to listen to. I liked how Correal talked about how the New York Times is changing their approach in what they publish over time since more people are getting their news from their phones from news aggregators like Apple News or Facebook, and that they are pushing for more narrative driven stories that typically wouldn’t be found anywhere else, and that they’re almost like podcast episodes (and that including the word “love” in the title is more likely to get readers). Another thing I liked was how Correal said that it is still possible to have a career in journalism, but I wish that she had more time to break down more details about that. I think journalism is a very noble job, I just don’t think it’s as financially stable as other jobs, especially with a lot of newspapers closing over the past 10 years or so.