Week 9 Activities (post due, Monday, Oct. 26)

Welcome back students to week 9. Many of you did a fine job discussing the hypocrisy of our “Declaration of Independence,” especially in regards to the treatment of African Americans. Even though America gained its independence after a grueling 8 year war with England in 1783, our now “free” country continued to permit slavery in the southern states (the northern states began to free slaves one by one — New York emancipation occurred in 1827). While America began as an independent nation, it still needed a strong government, however. In 1787, delegates from the original 13 states met in secret and produced The Constitution. Over the next few years, the states debated whether to accept this document as the framework of a new government. It was finally passed, after including the Bill of Rights (the first ten amendments), in 1789.

A major architect of the Constitution was Alexander Hamilton, whose face graces our 10 dollar bill. In 2015 Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote and produced an extraordinary musical based on Hamilton’s life. The show was sold out on Broadway for years. Just last month, Disney has put out a film version of the Broadway production (which I encourage you watch). Below is an hour and 1/2 documentary called “Hamilton’s America” produced by Miranda in which he discusses his own life, the production of the Hamilton Musical, and the life of Alexander Hamilton. I ask that you watch the video and comment on a part that interested you the most. Enjoy!

1. Jingquan Feng

After watching the video, I was astonished by what Alexander Hamilton did for the United States of America. He was the 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury in the US; He created the US’s first budget system, tax system, customs system, coast guard, the central bank, and constitution of the United States. You can say Alexander Hamilton builds the US from scratch. He like Benjamin Franklin, he was not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Hamilton was born at Charlestown, the island of Nevis, in the Leeward Islands. There were many slave businesses in that place. Therefore, he knew what the situation was about slavery, and maybe this is why he opposed slavery. (But he did own slaves in the past). Hamilton’s childhood was not perfect; he was an adulterine child of a Scottish nobility; his mother died when he was thirteen years old. However, his childhood didn’t destroy him. He focused on his education, and he loved writing like the people in the video mentions. When he was twenty, he joined the army to protect the country, and he became the captain of the artillery company. He reached the top by his own strength.
    As you can see, he was not only the founding fathers of the United States; he was also a fighter on war. He had the quality of a leader. But when you turn on the news today, you can find out that our “leader” Donald Trump is trying to put the American people in danger and profit from it. He didn’t care about the United States constitution, and he is breaking laws every day. He publicly defames the veterans who died in the wars and claims nobody like him can do so many things to fight for the US. In my opinion, to become a leader, you need to be well educated. At the same time, you need to care about the people who support you. Not like Donald Trump, who cause deaths because of his stupidity and leak of knowledge.

• Mark

Jinquan,

Another fine post! Hamilton was indeed a remarkable human and intellect for all the reasons you suggest. Your final point is super important: character and virtue (and education) were extremely important to Hamilton. Certainly, our own election is between a man of virtue and intellect (Biden) and his opposite.

2. Manija Shouff

After watching the video of “Hamilton’s America”, a few parts of the video were interesting. The most interesting part of the video was that Alexander Hamilton was an immigrant who came from the Caribbean to New York to pursue education and throughout his life here, he manages to accomplish many things. One of them was building America’s economy. I did not know that the NYSE was one of Alexander Hamilton’s’ ideas. Also, I thought the man on the 10-dollar bill was a US president, come to know he was not but he was the first secretary of treasury and one of the first founding fathers of the US. I believe one of the reasons the “Hamilton” show became famous was because it was different, it wasn’t an regular opera musical but its history and rap combined, a 21st century musical hence it caught everyone’s attention and it’s amazing how Lin-Manuel Miranda and Alexander Hamilton both lived in Washington heights.

• Mark

You raise some really interesting points here Manija. The immigrant aspect of Hamilton is very important to consider, for America really always has been a nation of successful and hard-working immigrants. It’s also the reason Hamilton never ran from President. Our Constitution states that only NATIVE BORN Americans can run for the office. This rule is still true today. Perhaps it needs to be changed.

3. Brianna Lesperences

After watching the documentary “Hamilton’s America” it reinforced everything that I learned junior year of high school in my u.s. history class. Alexander Hamilton was the secretary of treasury and become George Washington’s “right hand man” in a sense. After the war Washington admired and recognized Hamilton intellect and many of his abilities which led to them working very closely over the years. Alexander Hamilton helped to build the united states economy by creating a budget system that consist of many things including the central bank, tax system and more. Although he faced a very hard childhood Hamilton never let that stop him, he put all of his focus into education and set high expectations for himself. The musical “Hamilton” is very much informative and not only goes into the depths about what Alexander Hamilton has done for America but also his personal life and the struggles he faced. Seeing the musical in person helped to immerse myself into the lives of the people that created such a strong foundation for America in terms of government.

• Mark

Brianna, That’s so great that you got to watch the Musical in person! You nicely capture all the incredible achievements of Hamilton as well as pointing out the secret to his success (education!).

4. Marjan Ahmed

Alexander Hamilton, the creator of American Economy. He was the right hand of George Washington during the American Revolutionary War. He was also the first treasury secretary of our country. After watching the video, all the memories hit me back. I am one of those lucky people who had the opportunity to watch this show live. Hamilton’s show was the best show I have watched in my life so far in 2017. The perfection, the dialogues, the acting, teamwork everything was just mesmerizing. Hamilton’s whole life was displayed in the show and I could not take my eyes off from it. Alexander Hamilton was an immigrant who came from the Caribbean and become the hero America needed to build itself. Many people say, he is an “unsung” hero, but I believe everyone who goes to school, know about him, I mean how could they not? Every time we spoke about the building of countries economy in history class, his name always appeared in the paragraph. Also, he is the only person who was not a president, nor an US born but still in the US currency which is the 10$ bill, that is enough to prove, how important Alexander Hamilton was and is to the United States. Even though he would make one of the best presidents of the country since he was working closely with George Washington, but the constitution says, a person who is not born in US, cannot run for presidency. I believe this law need to be revise because there are many people like Alexander Hamilton who came from a different country but have the courage and intelligence to be a great leader.

• Mark

That’s so terrific that you actually got a chance to see this musical when it came out. I agree that the law about who can become President needs to be changed! Excellent post.

5. Dan

Wow! There is something special about going to a Broadway show, and being part of the energy of the performance. What is great about living in our area is that you can easily explore, and physically be in many of the areas where our nation’s history took place. Being able to do this, and then going to see a play can really enhance the whole experience. I have not seen Hamilton, but after watching this documentary maybe I will immerse myself in the history of Alexander Hamilton by going to see it, visiting places of importance related to it. I found the mixture of modern music, and history not only interesting but very symbolic of our nation. Our past history is far from perfect, but with time we seem to be moving in the right direction. I also like how this not only represented in the music but also the casting of the play. Maybe not that long ago, if this musical was written, the cast would be for the most part all white actors, which is a poor representation of the people that our country is made up of. We are the United States of America, and united people of all races, and back-grounds is what our nation is truly stands for.

On a side note: Professor have you assigned the first paper yet? I saw your video post about saying that you would talk about it next week, but I have not seen anything about the paper after that in your postings.

• Mark

Wow is right! Lin Miranda certainly showed how American history can be presented in an unbelievably entertaining and educational manner. Your points about learning from actual places and actual performances in NYC are a reminder of the importance of place and experience — which we’ve all been so desperately missing.

I have decided to only assign one longer essay for this course. You can choose a topic
      from any we cover this semester. Your on-line posts thus far will count for your first essay grade (posted in the gradebook).

6. Dan

7. Najeh Marcus

I learned a few things about Hamilton from that video about the play. I can’t really say what I found interesting because everything interested me. I think I know information that everyone generally knew about Hamilton. Like I knew his death was cause because he got hurt in a duel. The play helped me learned that his opponent was Aaron Burr. I also learned that he cheated on his wife and paid to have the affair covered up. I personally liked what I saw from the play. What surprised me the most is that they were rapping too. I haven’t seen many plays but I wouldn’t mind going to see “Hamilton” though. That whole video made me think of what could have Hamilton have done if he didn’t die. He was more significant than I thought. I don’t really have much more to add but the play made me or interested in the rest of the founding fathers.

• Mark

I have to agree with you there Najeh: everything is so interesting in the documentary as are the lives of Hamilton and Miranda himself. I think the rapping element certainly brought the play up to date and helps a new generation of fans enjoy the story. Nice post.

8. Lionel Desroses

The Great performances: Hamilton’s America
    The Hamilton story was fantastic and being put into a play that was even more amazing and exceeded my expectation of the play’s outcome. To be said, the play was terrific. I learn so much about Hamilton, how he started, where he’s from, and more about his life. Picking an exciting part of this play is hard because there so many intriguing parts in the outstanding performances: Hamilton’s America, which make it hard to pick in interesting part when every part is amazingly put together. Like the way, Miranda would step into character was great, and the actor was even greater. Who would have thought that the story of Hamilton would be a great play one day? The play had come to him while he was on vacation reading a book about Hamilton. He did not even think that this idea he had was going be on the most outstanding play that he had ever written. I would always hear the part on “we fought with him, me I died for him, me I loved him, and me I’m the danm fool that shot him.” I always hear this part on social media but never knew where it came from. Till now, I know that it is from this great play. Watching this play, I have learned so much about Hamilton. Like I did not know that he was an immigrant, and he was born in the Caribbean on a little island called Nevis. He did not even know that his coming to this country would change it forever. Hamilton’s life story had come to an end when Burr challenges him to a duel, which would be the last duel that Hamilton would participate in. to conclude, Hamilton was the creator of the economy we have today, and life is a paradox. We make a plan for tomorrow, not knowing if we will see tomorrow like Hamilton on his last day he had dinner plan later on that day.

• Mark

Your many points about this documentary are spot on Lionel. You also call attention to the important point that the documentary captures Lin Miranda’s own “writing” and “thinking” process as he worked out skeleton ideas for the play. Nicely down.

9. Ashley

Before I comment on the video, I just want to say I was lucky enough to see Hamilton on Broadway for a school trip, which was a wonderful experience, so I highly recommend it because it educates without boring you. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a gem, the way he got the idea from the show just by reading his biography is impressive. The fact that Alexander was George Washington’s chief of staff during the revolutionary war, our first U.S. Treasury Secretary, and to top it all he was an immigrant, which in my opinion is monumental. Before he achieved all these things, he had to go through many rough patches such as his father abandoning him, his brother and his mom, losing his mother at the age of 12, a hurricane destroying his town at age 17, overall being a difficult childhood experience. The way it all ended for Hamilton was tragic and could have been prevented but regardless, the whole video is inspiring, the way Alexander went from nothing to someone who was a key figure when it came to the ratification of the US constitution. I also love how Lin-Manuel, an average guy born in Washington Heights is now someone who created a cultural phenomenon that most people recognize, which to me is motivating.

10. Afshan S (Lil B)

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81025975 – Song Exploder: Lin-Manuel Miranda

Song Exploder is mainly a podcast that picks apart every single aspect of a song and has the artist explain stories behind the song. This Netflix series adds a visual aspect to it. This episode covers the Aaron Burr song in Hamilton “Wait For It” and the history behind the song. It’s worth watching if you enjoyed Hamilton.

Hamilton’s America
    I saw the Disney+ version of Hamilton around the time it came out and was in awe – it’s an amazing musical and would highly recommend people watch it if they can. I didn’t know much of the history surrounding Hamilton or the musical, so this video was really enlightening to watch. I love that they go over the flaws of all the historical figures in the musical, and that they explain that all of the founding fathers were not perfect people, but the groundwork they laid allowed future generations to strive to make “the American experiment” work. One part that stood out to me in regards to how flawed the founding fathers were is the part where the actor who plays George Washington in the musical visits Washington’s home and sees the slaves’ quarters, and how much disgust he felt seeing how they were and imagining how they were treated. He doesn’t forgive Washington for that, but understands that all of the historical figures in this time were bound to have slaves. Another part that I appreciate that the documentary goes over his how much TIME that Burr and Hamilton had in between exchanges before they decided to duel. He could have apologized to Burr in the massive amount of time they had between exchanges, but Hamilton was too much of an “asshole” (as one of the historians put it) to do so. Looking up Hamilton’s grave, you can see that he’s buried at the Trinity Church cemetery, right across the street from Wall Street, which is incredibly fitting considering that he invented the financial systems in which our country operates with. On his grave it states:
    The PATRIOT of incorruptible INTEGRITY
    The SOLDIER of approved VALOR
    The STATESMAN of consummate WISDOM
    Whose TALENTS and VIRTUES will be admired
    Long after this MARBLE shall have mouldered into
    DUST
    He died July 12th 1804 Aged 47

The last line kills me: Aged 47. He seems to have done so much with his life, yet died at such a young age. The last song of the musical, “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story,” is my favorite song from Hamilton. The song describes how Hamilton’s story isn’t as widely told as the other founding fathers’ were, and that Eliza devotes the remaining 50 years (she ends up living for 97 years!) of her life to continuing his legacy, all of it is so inspiring. To think that we wouldn’t have Hamilton the musical if Lin-Manuel Miranda didn’t take a vacation to read the Hamilton biography, we would barely know anything about Hamilton other than seeing him on the $10 bill.

11. Afshan S (Lil B)

Hamilton’s America
    The PATRIOT of incorruptible INTEGRITY
    The SOLDIER of approved VALOR
    The STATESMAN of consummate WISDOM
    DUST
    He died July 12th 1804 Aged 47

• Mark

Thanks for this highly engaging post (and great link) Afshan. You nicely capture how “far from perfect” — and human — our founding fathers really were. Thanks also for including the lines from Hamilton’s headstone at Trinity Church. “Who Tells Our Story”? is also critical whenever we think about our literary and historical figures. Edgar Allan Poe was besmirched as a vindictive drunkard for almost a century owing to his first biographer Rufus Griswold. Ben Franklin tell his own story — but are we fully to believe HIM. Your raise lots of great provocations here!

12. Amoy Russell-Jonas

Through the film, which Lin-Manuel Miranda performed about “Hamilton’s America,” it is crystal clear that the artist uses different devices to perform the music, bringing a good tempo impression of the music to the audience. The performance was quite a collaborative effort, with quite visibly actors, costumes, orchestra, and choreography. The artist achieved personal intense of mythological force that usually appears once or twice in a generation. The movie is an intoxicating documentary concerning the creation of “Hamilton,” which has been presented in a unique way such that the artist highlights the performance when they are standing that is Miranda and pregnant wife within Washington city. The instance where the artist touches the issue to do with Miranda’s age makes the clip more special, a code in the revelatory angle culture of Hip-Hop.
    Notably, the artist shows how Hamilton’s America dig deep into “Hamilton” itself, and what he discovered as he was creating many places in America was much interesting. This phrase part was more interesting since it reveals the diverse nature of America. The music also captures every single stage of how Hamilton exploded the cultural phenomenon in America. The legendary art of Lin-Manuel, he compares Miranda activist to Shakespeare through an out-pouring message in hip-hop standing pentameter of music. Lin-Manuel uses some deep inner motion in phrases where he stated that “more stuff but in the absence of a common enemy that virtue goes inward” as he tends to describe Hamilton’s nature. When Lin-Mirada quotes Hamilton’s immigrant acts, it creates a more powerful representation of Latinos that positively influenced a new American generation. On the other hand, Miranda’s part about color turned the art-piece into more political, which reached beyond broadway.

• Mark

You do a fine job analyzing this documentary which you so aptly describe as “intoxicating.”

13. Amoy Russell-Jonas

14. Galileo D

Great Performances: Hamilton’s America
    “Great Performances: Hamilton’s America” showcases the creative process of Manuel Miranda together with his colleagues, during the three years which lead up to the Broadway opening of the record-breaking musical winner of the Pulitzer Prize as well as 11 Tony Awards. It gives the viewers a unique window of the documentary process in which Miranda composes the songs and also the artistry as well as research that was involved in the conceptualization of the show.
    Among the most interesting instances in the video is when Miranda relays how the story of Hamilton resonates with him on a personal level, as the son of an immigrant. Miranda says that Hamilton’s story is a quintessential immigrant story of redefining oneself when going to another country. He, therefore, goes ahead and interviews his father on the decisions that led him to immigrate from Costa Rica to America. Interestingly, his father’s purpose for immigration was to pursue education, and this was the case with Hamilton as he immigrated from the Caribbean to North America in pursuit of education as a newspaper published his moving piece, thus leading to his recognition and ultimately, his education sponsorship by fundraisers.
    I think the immigration story is among the main reasons why Miranda said that he found the story of Alexandra Hamilton as profoundly moving and deeply personal, and it is obviously because of the immigrant perspective of Hamilton’s story. One can comfortably say that this is the inspiration for the show, and one of the main reasons Miranda took up the challenge to create a compelling show about Alexander Hamilton. Therefore, in a way, the show helps one in appreciating the hardworking and resilient nature of immigrants who are often driven by purpose and goals. As Miranda’s father relays, immigrants are among the most hardworking and smartest people, and the show thus helps one appreciate immigrants and the value they add to society.

• Mark

Very thoughtful and well-written response Galileo. Your focus on the importance of Hamilton’s immigrant origins and his thirst for education and achievement is spot on.

15. Jawad Awada

There have been so many great shows that have been performed on Broadway and overall watching a live performance like Hamilton is always an enjoyable experience. I never really thought of shows like that to be of interest to me until a couple years ago when my speech professor made us go and watch a live broadway show and that was an experience that I’d never forget. Watching the beginning of this video right away caught my attention because the United Palace was the location of my high school graduation. So that alone brought back some good memories. Alexander Hamilton was someone who actually worked for a lot of his accomplishments, unlike many other histories who came from wealthy families and had the privilege of having more opportunities available to them. His accomplishments were very important and play a big role till this day. He helped to establish the tax system and the first United States budget system. Many can say he played a major role in the pure fundamentals of the United states. Something that caught my attention from this video was that I had no idea that Alexander Hamilton was from the Caribbean and was basically an immigrant who came here in order to pursue a better life. Given the fact that most of the important figures in this country’s history are home grown and come from wealthy families, Alexander Hamilton is a perfect example of someone that can make it as an immigrant and have an impact on this country.

• Mark

Excellent discussion Jawad. It’s neat you had your graduation in the United Palace.

16. Daniela Martinez

Response to Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda

I have never watched the play of Hamilton nor have any idea of the existence of that play. Many friends recommended to me to check the musical before the pandemic happened. However, watching the documentary and the record of how Lin-Manuel Miranda just got inspired by Alexander Hamilton to create a play was worth it. It is funny what I am about to say, but I learned more about the founding fathers in the documentary over my history class when I was in high school. Besides that, I learned more about American history and how an immigrant constructed what we know of the United States.

It moved me the immigrant’s message that Lin wanted to portray in his theater play. As an immigrant, we have always been described as the ones who are lazy, steal jobs, and with not enough intelligence. But when Luis Miranda said, “Immigrants are never the lazy ones, they are not the stupid ones; [in fact] they are smart, hardworking cuz they have to work so much harder to make sense of the reality and succeed in that reality.” I knew how Lin got inspired by his dad in Hamilton’s beginning.

In the video, the Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan, mentioned, “He proved the condition of your birth should not determine the outcome of your life.” Alexander Hamilton was the vivid expression of someone who had nothing from his birthplace but proved to have the skills to be better in his life. At some point, I identified with his start because I was raised in El Salvador with not many opportunities, but luckily I was born in the United States, allowing me to chase my dreams. I might not have the experience of hardships as many other immigrants, but I worked hard as much as everyone had done when they came to this country. Therefore, I consider that Miranda represented Alexander Hamilton very well in the stage play as a dreamer. By that, I loved when the director, Thomas Kail, mentioned the following quote in the Tony Awards, “Alexander Hamilton was a dreamer. I stand on this stage tonight surrounded by dreamers.”

On the other hand, I like how Miranda did not create a boring historical piece and added some hip-hop in his songs to create an environment of tension. Nevertheless, when Thomas Jefferson had to sing, I found it funny because Miranda used Jazz for him compared to the other founding fathers. I think that giving a good representation of how hip-hop should be and not what people have considered for many years helped Lin make Hamilton unique.

• Mark

I’m glad you enjoyed the documentary Daniela. Your discussion of Hamilton’s struggles and successes as immigrant is very illuminating.

17. chris castellon

I’ve never seen the Broadway show Hamilton until recently, I gotta say the show was just as fantastic as other performances are shown on Broadway. It is always a great experience to watch performances like that on Broadway. Especially the show Hamilton it gives us useful information about the history of Alexander Hamilton himself. For example Hamilton was not born wealthy but was somehow able to work his way up to nobility proving he was true hardworking person. Another example is his accomplishments effected history for generations by establishing the tax system and the first united states budget. What really caught my attention was how well the effects were through the performance and how well the music perfectly fits with the scenes. I believe Hamilton is the perfect role model for everyone to believe and trust within because this is proof someone who starts off small can be part of something very big in life or in history.

• Mark

That’s so great that you got a chance to see this show! Hamilton certainly is a good role model in the way you mention but he’s also important for his enormous integrity when it came to Politics. We could use a lot more of that now!

• Mark

18. Aaliyah A Madurie

After watching this documentary, I was amazed by how immigrants have helped to shape America to what it is today. The musical film showed how Hamilton was loved and favored by the american people. He migrated from the caribbean to the United States for a better education and future. I had no idea that he had such an impact on the U.S whereas being one of the founding fathers and one out of many people who has helped to shape America’s economic system tremendously by creating some of the most important systems that we use today such as the financial systems and more. Nevertheless, he has made me a proud immigrant. I know how difficult it can be when moving to a different country and trying to fit in and also how hard you have to work for the opportunities to come your way. I pretty much don’t know much about the american history and culture but by watching this video I got to know more about Hamilton, how he lived his life and how important he is. This has made me realize that I’m not driven for success and need to be more determined. For someone to have moved from his country and basically helped to build another is astounding to me.