WEEK FOUR ACTIVITIES (DUE FRIDAY, SEPT. 18)

VIDEO LECTURE (PLEASE WATCH FIRST)

View:  The Pilgrims  (PBS FILM)    WATCH ALL OF THE 5  CLIPS

Read: William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation (1650)

POST A RESPONSE TO WHAT YOU FOUND INTERESTING IN ONE OF THE VIDEO CLIPS AND RESPOND TO A CHAPTER OR PASSAGE FROM THE BRADFORD READING (BE SURE TO INCLUDE A DIRECT QUOTE).  ALSO WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW, WHICH PROVIDES THE SAME STORY FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE WAMPANOAG TRIBE.

Watch: 

Here is the full web-site of “OUR STORY” (Watch all the Clips which concern the Wampanoag Tribe, which the Pilgrims first encountered and who have survived)

1. Jingquan Feng

After I watched the videos and read “of Plymouth Plantation” by William Bradford, in the vided, I realized that went people try to create colonies; they can’t do without blood on their hands. Colonists were always killing and looting from the aboriginals. The “Of Plymouth Plantation” talks about the people who were forced to leave England because of the region problem. For example, in the “Of Plymouth Plantation.” it said: ” In the agitation of their thoughts, and much discourse of things hereabout, at length, they began to incline to this conclusion: of removal to some other place.” They claim that they made friends with the aboriginals, helped the native American, and they celebrated the Thanksgiving day with the native American. But we all know what happened after that. On the website “OUR STORY,” it mentions, “The action embraced by the American Indian Movement sparked a national trend for tribes to observe a National Day of Mourning instead of the Thanksgiving holiday.” Why? Because after Thanksgiving, the Wampanoag Tribe got genocide. On the website, you can also see the survivors tell a different story about colonization. 1614, the European took a lot of Wampanoag people and sold them to Spain for slaves. Only a few returned their home. When the year of 1616, the Colonists started to kill the Wampanoag people to “clean” the land before their people can move in. These remind me that when the Japanese invaded China, they kill many people to take over the places, Like the Nanjing Massacre. I also have an idea that they killed people not only because they tried to take over the land, I think maybe some of the people were killed because they didn’t want to follow the religion like the Crusades. If you are an atheist, you will get killed, etc. In these stories, we can see what the colonists did to the Native Americans. We can also see regions can also affect the country’s politics, and we had a lot of examples about it, like the Crusades in 1095 and the Witch-hunt in 1450.

• Mark

Jingquan,

You make sharp points about the “celebration” of the original pilgrims and the real damage they did to the Wampanoags. I also found interesting your analogy of the Japanese incursion of China in what is now known as “the Rape of Nanjing.” Unfortunately, history does seem to repeat itself across the globe, especially the powerful taking advantage of the less powerful. At least, we are hearing the voices of opposition today to get a truer picture of what happened.

2. Manija Shouff

After watching all the clips, what I found to be fascinating is clip #5 “Overboard the Mayflower”. John Howland falls overboard into the freezing waters of the Atlantic Ocean and manages to hold on to the rope, who would have thought holding on he would have made it to the shore, he must have had strong arms. I for one would have drowned but he was quick. Another thing that I was surprised by, he is the ancestor of Franklyn Roosevelt but not only him, he is also the ancestor of George Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. Does the Bush family know about this? After watching all the clips on Pilgrims, I would have to say I would be interested in watching the whole film.
    As I was reading William Bradford’s “Of Plymouth Plantation” I came across two things. I might have interpreted it wrong but the message I got from the reading; the Pilgrims were the ones that created Thanksgiving that we still celebrate today. I thought this holiday was originally celebrated by the natives and the pilgrims joined in. The second thing I would like to mention is Squanto. He was taken to Spain to be sold as a slave however he manages to escape to England. Its amazing how he comes back to his land and helps the foreigners or the Pilgrims “He directed them how to set their corn, where to take fish…” He could have been captured and sold again or even shot, this tells me how Squanto was pure and trusted people. He stood by their side till the day he died.

• Mark

Manija,

You raise many interesting points here, which I’ll try to clarify in today’s video lecture. It turns out the first Thanksgiving didn’t have much meaning either for the Natives or the Pilgrims. It was “invented” during the Civil War (1865) by Abraham Lincoln. Squanto’s story is indeed a complex, yet important one.

3. Afshan S (Lil B)

Response to The Pilgrims Clips
    I found it interesting that the Pilgrims were willing to risk their lives just to have the ability to practice their religion, Puritanism, and wanted to have full religious freedom to take the bible literally, which is ironic considering that America became a democratic country that separates church and state.
    It’s mind boggling that around 2 MILLION people can claim John Howland and Elizabeth Tilly as an ancestor. If they didn’t survive on the voyage to America, there would be no Ralph Waldo Emerson, Humphrey Bogart, Chevy Chase, Franklin Roosevelt, and both George Bushs. That’s just the impact of TWO lives! That really puts our relatively short lives into perspective.

Response to William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation (1650)
    On page 17, freedom of religion is mentioned, which is the reason that we’re often told in schools for the Pilgrims seeking America, but I never truly understood to what degree. After reading this chapter it becomes evident that they did not like King James’s (whose version of the bible is currently the most read book in history) reforms to Christianity to the point where the Pilgrims and other groups fled England to practice their own versions of Christianity. It’s surprising that they found England and Holland to be so undesirable to live in that they’d risk their lives for the (very less than likely) possibility to make a new society in which they could freely practice their religion exclusively.

There is an immense amount luck/grace that Squanto, captured by slave traders in 1614, carried away to Spain, managed to escape to England, arrived back to America where the Pilgrims were, AND help them basically survive and thrive. Even William Bradford says that Squanto was a “special instrument sent of God for their good beyond their expectation” (page 27). It’s dumbfounding to think that just one person was able to greatly help a small community to eventually outgrow and become the country that we currently exist in. Just like John Howland and Elizabeth Tilly, it’s incredible how the effects of people’s lives can just ripple throughout generations and time. It’s unfortunate that the Natives would eventually not be treated as kindly as Squanto treated the Pilgrims.

• Mark

Very interesting and thorough post Afshan. Your opening point is very observant:

“The Pilgrims were willing to risk their lives just to have the ability to practice their religion,”

as is your second point:

” which is ironic considering that America became a democratic country that separates church and state.”

Lots and lots to talk about here. We are indeed a country that values the separation of church and state AND YET the religious right remains very very powerful and may even determine the election if Trump wins (certainly the death of Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg will excite both sides over the abortion issue–which often poses as a religious issue. Let’s follow this story!

4. Brianna Lesperences

Response To The Pilgrims Clips
    After watching the short clips, something that really captured my attention would have to be from clip #1. In the beginning of video #1 the reason behind the pilgrims leaving their original homes and coming to North America was to seek religious freedom. which sounds reasonable at first but as the video continued on, it was stated that “They (the pilgrims) wanted to transform a nation state into something that resembles what they take to be a godly kingdom.” In my personal opinion the pilgrims wanted a land that they can call their own. They didn’t want to co-exists with the natives, once the pilgrims landed in the americas they wanted to change the environment into what they felt was best.

Response To William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation
    while reading this passage it really gave me an idea on what the Native Americans behavior was like and how they felt about the pilgrims moving onto the land that they already occupied. Without having a clue about who the pilgrims were, help was still offered their way . This one Native American Squanto was able to help them fish and teach them how to take care of their crops. He also offered to bring the pilgrims to places that are unknown to them so that they can quickly become familiar with the land. He was such a helpful person that he was consider a gift from god. “…but Squanto continued with them and was their interpreter and was a special instrument sent of God for their good beyond their expectation. After reading about how helpful the natives were to the pilgrims it makes the circumstances of the first thanksgiving worst because I would never be able to fully understand how you can behave in such a harsh manner to people that helped you with the land that they were in first.
    Response To Our Story
    After reading about how Squanto was kidnapped by a Spanish explorer in 1614 , later on escaping and landing back in the Americas where the pilgrims began to settle and still helped them showed how much of a good heart he had. Even though throughout history the natives weren’t talked about their history still seems to remain, From their culture and clothing to language and forms of messaging.

• Mark

Terrrific reading Brianna. I really like your observation:

“They (the pilgrims) wanted to transform a nation state into something that resembles what they take to be a godly kingdom.” In my personal opinion, the pilgrims wanted a land that they could call their own. They didn’t want to co-exist with the natives; once the pilgrims landed in the Americas, they wanted to change the environment into what they felt was best.”

You’re right about this. The pilgrims come across as Holy but really only think of themselves and their needs — hardly a Christian tenet.

5. Lisbeth Rivas

Before watching all of the clips and reading “Of Plymouth Plantation” by William Bradford I did not know much about the pilgrims. I only knew that they were the reason that we celebrate the holiday known as Thanksgiving today, but besides that, I was unaware as to why the pilgrims came to America in the first place. After watching The Pilgrims, one of the many things I found interesting is the fact that John Howland, despite being swept off the Mayflower’s deck during a storm, managed to survive the harsh waves and made his way back on to the ship. Almost 2 million Americans can claim him as an ancestor. It makes me wonder about who were my ancestors. I find it interesting how Pilgrims traveled to America to escape the jurisdiction of the Church of England, which they found corrupt. They managed to make a life in the new world which, many English failed to do. In “Of Plymouth Plantation” the story revolves around William Bradford, the governor of Plymouth Plantation, and the history of its colony. We get to see the journey the pilgrims had to make in order to make it to America. I was surprised that Squanto was able to trust the pilgrims due to the history between Native Americans and foreigners. Squanto was captured by slave traders and sent off to Spain but managed to escape back to England in order to help his people. Squanto spoke English which helped form an alliance between the Native Americans and the Pilgrims by setting rules. He also taught the Pilgrims how to make a living for themselves on their grounds. “Squanto continued with them and was their interpreter and was a special instrument sent of God for their good beyond their expectation. He directed them how to set their corn, where to take fish, and to procure other commodities, and was also their pilot to bring them to unknown places for their profit, and never left them till he died.” Squanto is a perfect example of how welcoming Native Americans were towards people outside of there lands and how easily they were to be taken advantage of. No matter how welcoming Native Americans were, something always seemed to go wrong.

• Mark

You make very interesting points here Lisbeth.

I like your line: “I find it interesting how Pilgrims traveled to America to escape the jurisdiction of the Church of England, which they found corrupt. They managed to make a life in the new world which, many English failed to do.”

Here we find the meaning of the term PURITAN — to purify the church as well as the resilience of the Pilgrim to succeed in their mission. Your point about Squanto and Natives generally is also spot on.

6. Richard Li

After watching the five clips, the one that caught my attention was “Overboard on the Mayflower” because I never knew that someone was swept off the boat and was pulled back in and then went to the New World. Centuries later, millions of people can claim him as his ancestor and that shocked me.
    After reading Chapter 1 of the passage, on page 16 it says, “So many, therefore, of these professors as saw the evil of these things in these parts, and whose hearts the Lord had touched with heavenly zeal for his truth, they shook off this yoke of anti-Christian bondage”. It seems to be that teachers and professors did not seem to teach the whole truth about what really happened. Especially teachers, they make it kid-friendly so that it makes it more enjoyable. I was surprised how they never thought of teaching the truth because it is a part of history that people need to know about.

• Mark

Richard,
      You make a great point in your post about how the “truth” of history is rarely taught. Generally, we only get myths and legends. Keep diving into what you find to be the real history and complexity of America’s origins.

7. chris castellon

One video that has peeked my interest is a video about “The First Thanksgiving”, because according to history the pilgrims did not celebrate the holiday the way we do today, in addition they did not call it thanksgiving either. The pilgrims have noticed the English men have stayed, had a feast and played games and so the pilgrims joined as well and added to what the English men had made. According to the clip the native americans and colonial americans did not celebrate thanksgiving in our way of tradition, it states: “Part of the reason they were grateful was they had been in such misery and had lost so many people”, I was surprised on how they continued this tradition in another way, but I realized that this was their way of releasing grief and to stay positive and not think about the loss. I do not know if many people know the origins of thanksgiving but if I’m the only one who was in the dark about this then I must learn more about our most famous traditions and how our ancestors have celebrated them if their similar or different to how our traditions are in this century.

• Mark

Your raise great points about the lack of full understanding of Thanksgiving by Americans. I’ll explore this point in today’s video lecture.

8. Dkaran

“Overboard on the Mayflower” was very interesting because a servant named John Howland was swept off the Mayflower’s deck but fortunately the crew members brought him back up to safety which was a sign or act from god. Almost four centuries later, an estimated two million Americans can claim John Howland as an ancestor. John Howland had many famous descendants like Franklin Roosevelt and both George Bush father and son.
    “Yet Bradford’s certainty about God’s providence often gave way to uncertainty, for he “recognize[d] the faithful search for God’s will as the major quest of the pilgrim’s life” (Chapter 1, Page 10). This quote has a similar theme of god that relates to the video “Overboard on the Mayflower” when John Howland was saved by god which lead to two million American descendants.

• Mark

Deonarine,

Speak more to the meaning behind such scenes and moments. The near death of Howland for example speaks to the real risk the Pilgrims took in crossing the ocean as well as the hand of Fate in all our lives.

9. Marjan Ahmed

“If you ask people, where does America start? They will say, it starts in Plymouth rock.” This quote by Kathleen Donegan tells a huge story about the building of English colonies in the new land. A group of people traveling miles after miles to find a place where they can have religious freedom. After watching the clips about The Pilgrims, thanksgiving seem different to me now. For them, it was a way for the colonial Americans and the native Americans to come together and practice the same God. It was a major event which helped 2 different cultures to collide and accept each other. For majority of us its mostly Turkey, shopping, sales on games and party but now I realize how much it meant for them. Also, in the clip “Overboard on the Mayflower” one man called John Howland felt off the ship. He almost died but somehow, he managed to hold on to a rope until his crew mates pulled him aboard. The interesting thing is, how much this man meant for the future. From him, millions of people were to be born. Many Famous leaders of this country were from his family tree. This makes me think, what if he could not hold the rope, how much impact he would have in our country. It is kind of weird to think about it, only if the rope knew how much favor it did to America.
    In William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation, we see the details of how the colonial Americans made it to the new land interacted with the natives. The natives were curious seeing a group of people in their land. The surprising thing was native Americans had a harsh history with the Spaniard, but they still were willing to help the new people into their lands. Among the natives, there was “Squanto, a native of this place, who had been in England” As a slave but managed to run flee back to his people. He helped the Spaniard and was kidnapped by them but still he helped the Pilgrims with hunting and all other essential skills to survive in the new land regardless of what happened in the past. All of these proves how generous and nice the natives were and faced a fate they did not deserve.

• Mark

Excellent points Marjan. I especially like your final point about Squanto and the general hospitality the Natives always seemed to give to the Europeans. They always seem to be the
      more civil, kind, and advanced group–as you suggest.

10. Jannatul Fateha

Response to The Pilgrims Clips
    After watching the documentary I would encourage anyone with an interest in the Pilgrims to watch it. This fascinating drama weaves its way between two warped views of the Pilgrims as the founders of America mythologized in an inspiring tale about Thanksgiving and a cynical view of them as creepy religious extremists. This engrossing documentary gives us a chance to ask questions about the religious practices of the Pilgrims and the meaning of their emphasis on the separation of church and state. We can also explore the reasons why the national holiday of Thanksgiving has become so drenched with optimism and hope; the first Thanksgiving was probably a time of mourning, as it came after a time when both the Pilgrims and the Indians had lost so many people. A final question revolves around the alliances and conflict between the Native Americans and the Pilgrims, given the separatists’ attitudes toward strangers. All three of these issues are relevant to the issues of our times. After doing some more research I’ve found that “There’s been a tremendous amount of memory produced around the Pilgrims, but there’s also been a lot of forgetting,” the literary critic Kathleen Donegan notes, adding later: “We don’t think about the loss. We think about the abundance.”
    After reading “Of Plymouth Plantation (1650)” by Willam Bradford I have understood that two things that are commonly found in Puritan literature are a straight forward writing style and many points of religion. Both are found in William Bradford’s Of Plymouth Plantation. The story proved that God was of major importance to the Puritans. He was the first one that they honored when they arrived in the new country. “Being thus arrived in a good harbor, and brought safe to land, they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of Heaven who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean, and delivered them from all the perils and miseries thereof, again to set their feet on the firm and stable earth, their proper element .” Of Plymouth Plantation also tells the tale of one man who planned on overthrowing many men on the ship. He wanted to get rid of all the diseased men on the ship by throwing them overboard. In the end, the man ended up becoming very ill and being the first to die and to be thrown overboard. The Puritans blamed this entire situation on the man being evil and his death was the way God repaid him. “Thus his curses light on his own head, and it was an astonishment to all his fellows, for they noted it to be the just hand of God upon him .” Religion has been used in every Puritan writing piece that we have read so far. The people lived their lives and made decisions depending on how it would be portrayed in God’s eyes.

• Mark

Jannatul,

You make very very keen observations here. I really like how you picked out the crucial line exhibiting the Pilgrims’ deep faith in God:

“Being thus arrived in a good harbor, and brought safe to land, they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of Heaven who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean, and delivered them from all the perils and miseries thereof, again to set their feet on the firm and stable earth, their proper element .”

11. Ashley

After watching the clips about the Pilgrims, I think the most interesting clip was “The First Thanksgiving,” because of how it was about grieving over the people the Pilgrims had lost and alliance with the Native Americans. It was interesting how it was stated that 90 Native Americans came and hunted, in order to add on to what the English people were cooking, it was also stated how they all played games together and all in all a moment where the Native Americans and Pilgrims coexisted successfully. I noticed how in the clip, it was quite sugar coated, I wish they told the whole story, because this whole thanksgiving ordeal was short lived and a brief moment of harmony because of what came after. Which was of course the wipeout of Native Americans due to colonizers.
    While reading Bradford’s story, I noticed how back then religion was a huge deal to the point where they would actually treat you differently due to what you believe in. It was to the point where the “Puritans” decided to find a new place to plant their church, which was America. For an example, in page 17, it stated, “So after they had continued together about a year, and kept their meetings every Sabbath in one place or other, exercising the worship of God amongst them- selves, notwithstanding all the diligence and malice of their adversaries, they seeing they could no longer continue in that condition, they re- solved to get over into Holland as they could.” With that being said, King James I, hated the puritans to the point where he began to persecute the puritans in 1604, which is why they couldn’t take it anymore and take the leap to Holland.

• Mark

Very good reading Ashley. What do you make of the response by the Natives to this Puritan-centric history as shown in the video clips made by the Wampanoag people?

12. Najeh Marcus

One video I found interesting was “Overboard on the Mayflower”. Mainly I didn’t think he would have so many descendants. Two million Americans are estimated to be his descendants, I’m also surprised of some the people that are descendants of him like Franklin Roosevelt and both George Bushes. It just makes me wonder how many people we may inadvertently be related to without knowing. The other video “The First Thanksgiving” also helps confirm that I don’t really know a lot about Thanksgiving. For example, now I know that it wasn’t until the 1800’s (or two centuries later as the videos say) that Abraham Lincoln would make Thanksgiving a holiday. Also, the video just clarifies what happened on during the first Thanksgiving without any of the misconceptions associated with it. Even William Bradford “Of Plymouth Plantation” doesn’t mentioned anything like a massacre happening on Thanksgiving. One of the things that interested me in the Plymouth reading was the native named Squanto. It’s very obvious that Squanto is very important because he was one of two native Americans that could speak English. I think the Pilgrims would have had a harder time trying to communicate with the native Americans. A quote I think that shows the important of Squanto for the pilgrims is page 27 (19 of the PDF), it states “After these things he returned to his place called Sowam… Squanto continued with them and was their interpreter and was a special instrument sent of God for their good beyond their expectation”. The Pilgrims saw Squanto as some instrument from God. Squanto help the pilgrims in a number of ways like fishing and planting corn to making peace with a nearby tribe. If he didn’t get taken to England i wonder what the Pilgrims would have done to survive.

• Mark

Najeh,

Very good response but what do you make of the Native response to this history in the recent video clips they’ve produced?

13. Lionel Desroses

The pilgrim’s story is about a small group of English men and women move to mayflower anchored in Plymouth bay to the north of Cape Cod. The pilgrim’s move to the Netherlands. Then decide to exiles Netherland because they had anxiety that living in a foreign land would cause their children to lose their language and their English name. which is a process that eventually happens to a family that ended staying here. Half of the passengers who arrived on the mayflower die during the first winter. The rest of the colony that survives was able to celebrate in November 1621, with a harvest feast knows today as Thanksgiving. The pilgrim left their hometown to believe that they were on their way to heaven or a better place. They have faced many obstacles in making a new life for themselves. The pilgrim left their house to seek religious freedom. One thing I found interesting from These videos that most of them were ready to put their life on the line for their religion. As a Christian myself, I found it very unpleasant to see how many Christians have of Christian back the were being killed because of their religious belief in and choose to pursue that belief in no matter what. According to “, Of Plymouth Plantation (1650) by William Bradford, “which was the first the first of nation whom the lord adorned after that the gross darkness of popery which had covered and overspread the Christian world.” This quote explains how darkness had covered the world of Christian, which lead to the pilgrim group to leaving in search of religious freedom. The Christian was being tormented. Some of them die of bloody death. In my option, the pilgrim story is happening now in our time because a lot of people are being persecuted for having different religious beliefs, which is what they pilgrims people were experiencing back then. It just another time but the same story.

• Mark

Lionel,

Very good response. I like how you hit on the important fact that this group of die-hard
      Christians were not always very Christian-like, especially to the Natives.

14. Dan

I would like to learn how to sail, in fact I want to build a boat, and sail it around the world. Falling overboard it is one of my main fears about sailing, and since I might be sailing solo, there will be no one to pull me bac into the boat. What an amazing story about John Howland, and who his descendants turned out to be. If he had died, world history would be different as we know it, and he is just one man. I feel this goes to show any individual that their life is important on a greater scale even if the rest of the world doesn’t know who they are. And if you find yourself swimming in an ocean (being a metaphor for anything of great danger or great challenge) that wants to kill you, you should never give up.
    Referring to William Bradford’s, “Of Plymouth Plantation” it is interesting to see how obsessed the Pilgrims were with god. There wasn’t a single passage without the word “God” in it. However, this obsession with god is what drove them across the Atlantic, and gave them the strength to do so. I know how powerful the fear of the unknown can be, and how it can stop you from doing something. Even as people died on there journey as Bradford wrote in this passage; “…But it pleased God before they came half seas over, to smite this young man with a grievous disease, of which he died…” they continued on with their journey.

15. Dan

• Mark

Great pick-up Dan about the constant reference to God in almost every line. This really distinguishes the Pilgrims, who saw their mission as one in honor of a God, who seemed to be terribly interested in their success.

16. Daniela Martinez

Response to “The Pilgrims” Clips

Everyone who went to high school or learned from a history textbook learned about the first colony that came to the country. The Plymouth Colony, founded in 1620 by William Bradford, settled up as part of the United States’ origins. When I was in high school, my U.S History teacher taught my classmates and me about the circumstances that the Plymouth colonists lived in England to make them leave and make a new colony. That is what also Susan Hardman Moore mentioned in “The Pilgrims: First Chapter,” when they decided to live by their own religious believes: “And they were on a journey towards purity: that’s what they sought; that’s what took them out of England; that is what took them over to Holland; that is what took them from Holland over to the new world. However, they did not take into account the hardships that would come for them. Sadly, when the Mayflower ship with 102 people and about 30 people of the crew settled in the Plymouth colony, the crow will not expect their people’s fatal outcome. Many of them died due to their insufficient knowledge of the land and their short amount of resources they brought with them.

Moreover, the Native Americans lost part of their people because of the unknown diseases that the Puritans brought with them. Although they suffered many losses and grief, they had a dinner of what we know today as the first Thanksgiving. I did not know that the Pilgrims were the first ones who created that tradition that we know today. Nevertheless, it was not as happy as many movies or books have shown in the following decades. Even though both parties’ situation was unfortunate, I thought it was substantial that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims joined together to celebrate for the still alive people. As the Literary Critic, Kathleen Donegan stated in the “First Thanksgiving” clip, “We love the story of Thanksgiving because it’s about alliance and abundance and envisioning a future where Native Americans and colonial Americans can come together and celebrate the providences of a single God.”

Before I started to read Bradford’s Of Plymouth Plantation (1650), I expected to see the insight from Plymouth’s founder. Yet, when I began reading the first chapter, I was surprised to see how religious was his point of view. As a Catholic myself, I believed that Bradford’s opinions about how the Christian Church was evolving into something evil were correct. The reason is that at the end of the chapter, he wrote how the Church divided into two branches, and one of them was against the Puritans. For instance, when he explained their actions against them, “For some were taken and clapped up in prison, others had their houses beset and watched night and day, and hardly escaped their hands; and the most were fain to flee and leave their houses and habitations, and the means of their livelihood.”

After reading that passage, I noticed how Christianity significantly influenced their flee. The reason is that William Bradford and the other Christians no longer felt well received in their country. As a consequence, they thought moving to the Low Countries as Bradford said: “Yet seeing themselves thus molested, and that there was no hope of their continuance there, by a joint consent they resolved to go into the Low Countries, where they heard was freedom of religion for all men…”

Overall, it made sense to me why they wanted to flee to Holland as they could. Living oppressed and persecuted just for following different ideals is something that is still happening in the present. Since the founding of this country to the present, I am still seeing that history repeats itself several times. It is a matter that we have not learned yet how to improve as a society.

• Mark

Very thorough and thoughtful response Daniela.

17. Jawad Awada

After viewing all of these clips the one that definitely caught my attention the most was “Overboard on the Mayflower”. The main reason why it caught my attention was because there was a servant who was swept off the Mayflower’s deck, but then he was pulled back and after he was pulled back you can realize that if he had not been pulled back and actually died, history would have been very different. Centuries after this event occurred, millions of people can now claim him as his ancestor. This shows that no matter who you are at some point in life you are going to mean something to someone. Even though it might not be millions of people you never know who you may impact.

After reading and watching the material given to me about the “Of Plymouth Plantation” I realized that the pilgrims were the people who created Thanksgiving and it is a holiday that we still celebrate till this day. Another great point that was shown in this reading was that we were able to witness the trip of the pilgrims all the way to America. Another important part of this reading was how much they believed in god and how no one comes before him. They showed how important god was to them and they honored him with great pride. according to this article one important quote from this reading that helps prove that was “They fell upon their knees and blessed the God of heaven who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean…”. This quote in particular helps show that no matter where they were going, the belief of god was always going to be something that they were going to carry with them no matter where they went.