Summer 2021

Post a Response to Oedipus and Lysistrata (or Spike Lee’s Chi-Raq) (Due Monday, June 7)

BEFORE READING THIS POST, GO TO THE POST BELOW IT (FOR FIRST DAY INSTRUCTIONS)

FIRST: WATCH MY VIDEO LECTURE ON GREEK DRAMA

SECOND: Please post a 1-2 paragraph response to what you found interesting in Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex and Lysistrata  (or Spike Lee’s film version Chi-Raq).  Pick a specific scene, quote,  element, or theme from the play/film to discuss.   Below are some suggested questions you could answer in response to Oedipus (but feel free to choose your own). Read the student comments before yours so that you don’t repeat a similar topic/comment.  I do encourage you, however, to comment on your fellow students’ observations.

DO NOT REFER TO OUTSIDE SOURCES FOR YOUR POST. I WANT TO HEAR YOUR VOICE AND YOUR THOUGHTS.  I ENCOURAGE MAKING CONTEMPORARY (CURRENT) OR PERSONAL CONNECTIONS TO THE WORKS WE ARE STUDYING.

• The ancient Greeks believed that “one’s character determines one’s fate.” What are your thoughts about the character (personal and leadership qualities) of Oedipus?
  • “Dramatic irony is a relationship of contrast between a character’s limited understanding of his or her situation in some particular moment of the unfolding action and what the audience, at the same instant, understands the character’s situation actually to be.” Where do we see dramatic irony in this drama?
  • Why was Tiresias so reluctant to share what he knew about the death of King Laius?
  • Did Tiresias really believe that it would be better for everyone if truth were to remain undisclosed?  Jocasta also asks Oedipus to stop investigating his lineage. What are your thoughts on this topic? Should truth always be fully revealed?
  • Oedipus says, “Indeed I am so angry I shall not hold back a jot of what I think.” How do you believe leaders should manage their anger?
  • Tiresias is blind but sees.  Oedipus has eyes but is blind. Why is Oedipus, the man who solved the riddle of the Sphinx, so slow to solve the riddle of his own identity?
  • What is it like to read this play during a pandemic? What does the play have to say about leadership, speaking the truth, concern for community well-being, and/or suffering?
  • A key idea in this play is Oedipus’s extreme pride and arrogance (“hubris” in Greek).  What is Oedipus so stubborn about in this play?  Can you think of someone who exhibited “hubris” during the past year and suffered consequences for it?

1. Zainab Mann

I liked reading the play and my response would be on the following question,

Oedipus says, “Indeed I am so angry I shall not hold back a jot of what I think.” How do you believe leaders should manage their anger?

I personally believe that kings, rulers, and presidents can definitely get angry as being humans this is an emotion we all carry. Anger is also a very powerful emotion, as it can make the kindest person evil and the strongest person weak. It can cloud your mind and make you blind which may lead you to the most regretting moments of your life. However, when it comes to people like kings, rulers, and presidents, they carry more responsibility under such situations than normal citizens. Hence, they have to control their anger. If they get angry they must have control over it and not let it consume them or make them take wrong decisions. In fact, they should try to harness it to improve themselves. They should follow principles and morals and be role models to their followers. Not giving an instant reaction, keeping their volume down, or taking some personal time (Of course, if it’s not an emergency scenario) to cool down before coming to a conclusion are some ways to handle such situations. These kinds of decisions and reactions under the influence of such a strong emotion of anger can depict a good leader from a bad one. Setting a good example is always the best way to set a successful reign.

• Mark Noonan

Excellent response and discussion on this topic Zainab. Can you provide the name of a specific current leader who has succumbed too much to anger at the people’s expense? How about an example of a wise and moderate leader?

• Yathziry Serrano

I truly agree with you, especially the Donald Trump part and that as a leader it is important that it is important that they control their anger.

2. Zainab Mann

Regarding the anger, famous Donald J Trump, ofcourse is the best example and we’re still paying for it.
    And a wise leader, in my personal perspective, is Quaid-E-Azam, the founder of Pakistan.

• Mark Noonan

I couldn’t agree more!

3. Sahena Mootoo

“Tiresias is blind but sees. Oedipus has eyes but is blind.” This paradox emphasizes that although Oedipus has eyes he was blind since he never admitted to any of his wrongdoing. Tiresias, the blind prophet noted, “You criticize my temper… unaware of the one you live with, you revile me”(line 384-385; page 16). Oedipus’s ignorance and future fate were called out by someone who was blind. He insulted others due to his hubristic behavior. Towards the end of the tragedy, we readers learned that Oedipus was adopted and indeed murdered his actual father, Laius, King of Thebes. Oedipus was blinded with pride because he considered himself to be greater than the gods. His actions only contributed to his downfall, as a result, he gouged out his own eyes. Pride can often make an individual more selfish, arrogant, and self-centered. Overall, I highly believed that having too much pride is poison for your own soul.

• Mark Noonan

Very good reply Sahena. I particularly liked your final line, which also pertains to “hubris”. What did you think of the play or film version of Lysistrata?

4. Elizabeth Surujballi

What is it like to read this play during a pandemic? What does the play have to say about leadership, speaking the truth, concern for community well-being, and/or suffering?

After reading the play, I drew comparisons to the Pandemic and Sophocles Oedipus Rex. First, the play starts off with a plague that has stricken Thebes and a group of priests come to Oedipus seeking help. Likewise, to the pandemic, we saw a nation and healthcare workers begging for help from leaders to help fight against Covid. Oedipus will go to any extent to remove the cause of the plague, ironically, he is the cause. Compared to the Covid pandemic, we saw a president who behaved in a similar manner which led to a lack of adequate leadership that only worsened the pandemic. Then, we saw how Oedipus’ ego and anger causes him to accuse Creon and Tiresias. In the case of Covid, it is Asian Americans being accused by former President Trump. The play shows how arrogance leads to poor leadership. When the truth comes out Oedipus does not believe it, in leadership when this happens it leads to self-centered concern for the community’s well-being. Irrational decisions made in anger and frustration does not benefit anyone involved in the situation, it only adds on to the suffering. This was seen evidently during the pandemic and the play. There are many comparisons that could be made with the play and the pandemic, essentially the pandemic was a modern version of the Oedipus Rex play.

• Mark Noonan

Very thoughtful and thorough discussion of the contemporary connections of this play. What are your thoughts on Lysistrata and/or Chi-raq?

• Elizabeth Surujballi

Lysistrata by Aristophanes shows comedic aspects while addressing a serious issue of war and gender. The play highlights feminism throughout and the ability for the women to take control over the current problem of the Peloponnesian war. Specifically, Lysistrata exhibits leadership qualities by addressing the other women but also persuading them how this plan will force the men to negotiate peace. Her character represents a driven woman who wants social and political change to happen from the Spartan and Athenian women themselves. Lysistrata enables these women to use what they have available, which are their bodies. When Lysistrata says, “We’re nothing but bed and babies. But, my dear Spartan friend, if you are with me maybe we can still save the cause,” shows her determination to unify her country by recognizing how domestic life plays a role in a political way. Compared to the film Chi-Raq, Spike Lee addresses a serious and relevant issue of Southside Chicago’s gang violence. Spike Lee’s adaptation of Aristophanes remains meaningful and important to modern issues with race, gender, and violence.

• Jean Holmi Germain

Hi Elizabeth,
          Your post is wonderful, I noticed that you showed through your post the feminism of Lysistrata. I also showed in my post that Lysistrata is a feminist icon because, via the movie, we can see that she is the kind of woman that advocated for women’s rights in order the women are worthy of having power in society.

5. Zainab Mann

Lysistrata by Aristophanes is a great example of how characters can arrange themselves in a play because as a reader I not only saw, groups going against and working with each other, but also individuals following suit.
    Anyhow the point noteworthy about Lysistrata, for me, is that the women withholding conjugal rights from their husbands is a trial for them too. Restraining physical relations is self-sacrifice for them as well and many of them find it difficult to keep up. (as it were in the play).
    Another point to discuss, in my perspective, after analyzing Lysistrata is how feminist this play is by comparing it to our own modern standards. How the Athenian women manage to wrest power from the menfolk and end the war. They do this by using their bodies, and sex, as a weapon. Firstly, of course, withdrawal of sexual privileges tipped the balance of power in their favor. But then, reconsidering the standards of that time, when sex was one of the few cards women could play in such political games, Lysistrata’s defiance of expectation and social mores must have seemed bold and daring.

• Mark Noonan

Wonderful commentary on the power of collective action in this play. Your point about the defiance and boldness of the play for Greek audiences as well as for today’s readers is also highly insightful.

6. Shane Cooper

Greetings,
    I will talk about the roles of the gods as suggestion by my professor.

Apon reading Oedipus Rex it is clear in Greek culture no matter what you do the gods hold masterful responsible over everything you do. You may try to advert and think you are in control but in reality you are only a pawn for what they have in store. We can see this as Oedipus tries to take control of his own destiny but it was his destiny that controlled him, which is put upon him by the god’s who assigned Oedipus his destiny.

This show reminds me of one of my favorite shows (West World) which shares similar themes and stories.

• Shane Cooper

P.S I also enjoyed your lecture about Lysistrata. You kept it fun and interesting.

• Yuliya

Thank you Professor for narrating Lysistrata!! that was really funny!))

• Mark Noonan

Glad you appreciated it, Yuliya. Wait till you hear Bottom the Weaver perform Pyramus in A Midsummer Night’s Dream — now that’s some fun and funny acting (!)

• Mark Noonan

Very interesting comment Shane about who’s Really in control in our lives. It’s the age old question of Fate versus Agency, with religion/faith brought into the mix. I’d love to hear more about the connections to West World — perhaps this could be a final paper project.

Thanks for the “like” on my reading of Lysistrata (!)

7. Noha Elkallini

I wanted to first start off by sharing a quote, written by Albert Einstein. As quoted “ The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance”. This quote is an example of how many leaders around the world today use arrogance as a way of power to themselves to control the people. You can be ignorant in a sense where you lack certain knowledge making you unaware of your own limitations. On the other hand, being arrogant according to Einstein is far more dangerous, in which you can’t distinguish the difference between your pride and stubbornness, escalating negatively the way you approach things among yourself and others.
    Throughout the play, Oedipus’ attitude is filled with stubbornness and madness that he failed as king to find the truth of Laius’ killer. Even though his own people are dying from the plague his whole focus was to find the killer and prove to himself that he is still the almighty, unstoppable, reckless king of his century. For instance, after the prophet Tiresias enters the palace, he and Oedipus quarrel bitterly, making Tiresias blurt out the identity of Laius’ murderer. As stated in lines 381-384,Oedipus tells Tiresias “ Nothing! You, you scum of the earth, you’d enrage a heart of stone! You won’t talk? Nothing moves you? Out with it, once and for all”. It can be demonstrated that instead of being caught up proving his existence of power, he should have prioritized bringing about relief to those families who lost someone to the plague. This particular scene brought to my attention how many presidential leaders around the world failed as a nation to recognize the needs of its people as the cases were going up day by day. For example, the president of India, Ram Nath Kovind, failed as a leader to control the spread of the virus and like many leaders cared about the economy rather than the lives of its people. In which there was lack of financial relief, basic medical equipment such as oxygen and due to oxygen shortage people died on the streets.

• Sehar Khalid

I really loved the way how everything was explained very well in detail. Also the way the attitude is mentioned from Opedius and him just wanting to prove his point was indeed part of something to definitely be noted. Im glad you mentioned and really explained in detail for a better understanding for myself definitely

8. Esther Diaz

Tiresias did not believe that it would be best if the truth remained silenced. Even if it could’ve caused more harm than good. I believed Tiresias just wanted to stop the plague. In this tragic case, it was best if Oedipus remained ignorant and should’ve listened to Jocasta. However, Oedipus was determined to avenge the killer of King Laius and save his people from the plague. Now, he has found his truth and followed his prophecy, the same prophecy he wanted to run away from. In the play, we see that he was a great man who saved the people from the Sphinx, but he was the cause of the plague towards the end. The irony of this play is tragic. How the great king who started off smart by defeating the Sphinx’s riddle to save his people is actually the most ignorant and is ruining Thebes with the plague, very unfortunate.
    Reading the short version of Lysistrata and watching the trailer of Shi-raq was somewhat empowering. How a group of women joins forces with their enemy to stop the war in Greece. “ We have made common cause to bring peace and prosperity out of your disasters. Listen to us and we will fix it all up. We’ll even balance the budget.” This quote shows determination and confidence in Lysistrata, not many women at the time especially, Calonike wouldn’t have given up something so small but yet so powerful but they did with some persuasion. Shows how women during this time are fed up with men and their destruction and are willing to stand up and make a change.

• Mark Noonan

Thorough and insightful reading of all three plays/film, Esther. I particularly liked your point about how “empowering” Lysistrata is (as well as Spike Lee’s powerful film rendition of it). This was certainly the goal of the Greek Dramatists — to move audiences to be better citizens and persons. Nicely done.

9. Esther Diaz

Did Tiresias really believe that it would be better for everyone if the truth were to remain undisclosed? Jocasta also asks Oedipus to stop investigating his lineage. What are your thoughts on this topic? Should truth always be fully revealed?

• Alejandro Xie

How you described Oedipus as the smart king who turned into the ignorant king is an incredibly powerful line. I agree that tragedy takes center stage in this play, and how its irony impacts not only King Oedipus, but the people around him as well.

10. Brian Chan

iresias is blind but sees. Oedipus has eyes but is blind.
    Why is Oedipus, the man who solved the riddle of the Sphinx,
    so slow to solve the riddle of his own identity?

Oedipus is so slow to solve the riddle of his own identity
    because he is unable to evalulate himself. Being able to spolve
    the riddle of the Sphinx has given Oedipus an unhealthy dose of
    confidence and pride, which causes him to become full of himself
    and is unable to see past his own views. In a way, Oedipus can’t
    see anyone’s perspective more valid than his own and this makes
    him somewhat blind to the truth.

One of the lines that interested me was on page 285,
    “his life in agony, step by painful
    step—I curse myself as well . . . if by any chance.”
    This caught my attention because Odeipus ends up living
    agony and causing his own fate. He doesn’t see the
    truth until its too late.

• Mark Noonan

Very thoughtful reply on an important aspect of the play, Brian. That’s a particularly great line you quoted to support your position.

• Forhad

I really liked the way you analyzed the quote.

11. Kyara Rouse

In Oedipus Rex, The protagonist Oedipus shows many instances of hubris throughout the play. From the moment the oracle tells him about his fate of killing his father and marrying his mother, he prides himself in thinking that he can change the gods’ prophecy by leaving Corinth. He failed to realize that leaving Corinth was his first step in fulfilling his prophecy because he inadvertently killed his biological father while he was traveling to Thebes where he later married his mother (297).
    I feel that our country’s leaders exhibited hubris in the past year, and it was shown throughout this pandemic. Our previous president and other officials have downplayed the severity of COVID, which resulted in numerous deaths we could have avoided if our leaders had a different approach and mindset towards the virus.

As for Aristophanes’ Lysistrata, the protagonist Lysistrata gathers the women of Greece and introduces a plan to end the Peloponnesian War by withholding sex from their partners. Lysistrata knows there is little she can do in terms of directly participating in the war, but by acknowledging women’s strengths and weaknesses, she is able to use them to her advantage. Lysistrata also knew there was strength in numbers, and sought out other women knowing that if more nuclear families were affected, change was imminent.

• Mark Noonan

Very interesting post on both plays, Kyara. I particularly liked your line on the “hubris” of America’s former adminstration: “Our previous president and other officials downplayed the severity of COVID, which resulted in numerous deaths we could have avoided if our leaders had a different approach and mindset towards the virus.”

12. Yuliya

My thoughts on whether Tiresias really believed that it would be better for everyone if truth were to remain undisclosed is – I think so, yes. I think Tiresias and Jocasta both truthfully and fully believed that once it has been it better remained uncovered now. However, in a greater picture of Sophocles plays: whereas Creon sees the world crumbled as the sequence of his own tyranny; whereas blind Tiresias sees the truth and Oedipus who has the sight is blinded by inability to see and anger, and takes his own eyes as the punishment at the end; where father escaping attempting to escape the prophesy of being killed by his sun, cast the Oedipus away and Oedipus, not knowing, later kills his father – I think, following the rules of the janre in tragedy – Oedipus had to learn the truth to suffer his purging and catharsis and experience his fate. But yet and still, as the characters and relatable figures of someone who loved and cared for Oedipus, I do think Tiresias and Jocasta wanted to protect Oedipus from learning his own identity, and I personally agree with them. That was the case, when the truth was just to harsh to handle, incompatible with life. But Oedipus was stubborn and ran right into what he fought for.

My thoughts on Lysistrata by Aristophanes is that is purely amazing. It is hilarious from their replicas and characters, to the genitals costumes, how they talk and so wildly and viciously willing to superficially focus on intimacy and drinking only. I though that is exactly what me and bunch of my girlfriends do when we get together on a “witches sabbath”. In terms of current political and social mainstream feminism movement, I probably would struggle to say something concrete and specific. Obviously, Im all for women equal pay for the same jobs and equal representation in legislative/ government system. Yet and still, I often feel that there gender roles that we are overlooking maybe, and trying to press a sign of equality where it does not necessarily belong. At the end of the day it is about balance and harmony, rather then who deserves more and why.

• Mark Noonan

Deeply insightful and spirited reply, Yuliya. The “truth” question is not a simple one — and you handle it well. Clearly, those who love us want to protect us ( “overprotective” parents for example), but at the same time it’s necessary to experience the real world and develop into fully mature adults — even if this growth is at times painful. This is truly a play about the value of courage and experience. I’m also glad you enjoyed Lysistrata as much as I did, while also seeing the brilliant lessons behind the zany banter and costumes. Your final point on gender balance and harmony is also provocative – a discussion that’s difficult to have in today’s challenging discourse climate .

13. Travis Caraballo

(Oedipus) This play was very interesting to read in my opinion. It is nothing at all like most pieces of literature that I have ever read. I would say that this is because of the nature of the play. From the moment that Oedipus hears that he would kill his father and marry his mother then leaves Corinth, the audience already knows what path the story will take. I would say that this would be one of my favorite parts. After this scene we are watching Oedipus gradually live out the fate that he desperately tried to run from. This scene set the tone of a man who tried to be a detective and solve the case of a murder that he was unknowingly responsible for. I am not sure how to describe the feeling that I get from reading this play. From the beginning I know the story, yet I am still hooked to see how Oedipus would come to find the truth.

(Lysistrata) This play was very comical, and I also enjoyed reading this one as well. I would say, if it were not for the fact that this was a comedy, I would have been afraid that these women would end up getting raped. Anyway, what stood out to me was in the beginning when the women mentioned that they have a secret weapon, “and it was between their legs.” This statement holds true even today. Many men are willing to do whatever they have to in order to have sex with women. Women hold a lot of power when they decide when and with who they want to have sex with.

• Mark Noonan

Travis, You make a very profound point in stating that Oedipus “is nothing at all like most pieces of literature that I have ever read.” I have to agree with you. There’s a majestic strangeness to this play, with deep resonances that are hard to quantify . The best writing of Shakespeare is also like this. Our next play (Midsummer Night’s Dream) has a special magic to it, but analyzing it too closely won’t get us far. Your commentary about reading Lysistrata during the “Me Too” Movement is also important. Certainly, this play is problematic in the way you describe, while also being a valuable source of wisdom and wit.

14. Sehar Khalid

The above phrase depicts Oedipus as an individual who jumps to conclusions before thinking properly. Each and every one of us, do get angry and in the state of anger we tend to make wrong decisions. For example, I recall an instance where I got angry after a product delivery we ordered online for our group work was delayed , hence being the team leader, I ended up visiting a local store and purchased a similar product to the one we had ordered online. According to me, I thought I had made the right decision by buying from the local store so as to save on time. However, I came to realize that I had purchased an outdated product, after one of the group members cross-checked the specifications for the online product and the one bought from the local store. The online product had a more recent and updated version suitable for the group work. The situation taught me a lesson of being patient and avoiding making decisions when being angry.
    Likewise, leaders should learn to manage their anger in ways that would not create harm or disadvantage to the people they lead. The way a leader handles his or her anger displays the level of quality leadership skills they possess. Anger tends to cloud the mind hence one cannot think clearly and make the right decisions in such situations. Therefore, leaders should resort to thinking deeply, consulting widely and avoid jumping to conclusions when angry. Leaders should divert their anger to positive ways such as finding solutions to problems that affect their people.

• Mark Noonan

Sehar, I really like the personal example you provide that perfectly relates to a key lesson found in Oedipus. Reason and control, the Greeks believed, lead to wiser lives.
      Nicely done.

15. Alejandro Xie

[Oedipus Rex]
    Oedipus Rex is a really interesting Greek play about a king’s realization of his broken family ties and the tragic state of his people. There is a recurring theme of “fate” throughout. The fate of his people, his family, his own life, all of these are explored over the course of the play. Having ascended to the throne and hearing the plight of his people as they suffer from a plague, he learns that heeding the words of the God Apollo is the only way to save Thebes. It is told to Oedipus’ brother-in-law, Creon, that the killer of King Laius, the man who preceded Oedipus, must be found and punished for the plague to end. He curses the unknown murderer and vows that their life is lived in agony, and that his own life shall be lived the same way if it turns out it is someone close to him. “Drive him out, each of you, from every home. He is the plague, the heart of our corruption, as Apollo’s oracle has just revealed to me.” (275, p 273) Eventually, it comes to light that Oedipus is actually the one responsible for the murder of Laius, who was also his true birth-father. This kind of painful-irony and realization drives the story forwards and it’s really interesting to see how the characters respond to or withhold this information. The blind prophet Tiresias was incredibly reluctant to share what he knew about the death of King Laius for this reason. He knew that telling the king such a terrible truth would potentially ruin both his life and his people’s. Even though Oedipus is described early on as a man who is sympathetic and caring of his people, the fate that was largely out of his control come crashing down on him. The prophecy that is told to Oedipus by Apollo (in which he sheds his father’s blood and sleeps with his mother) also ties directly to this theme of fate. As for a contemporary connection to this play, I guess the closest example to this would be advances in DNA and genetic research that allow investigators to catch murderers responsible for killings in the past. It can be seen as a sort of “fate” that after 40, 50 years, a killer that has lived the majority of their lives free can be caught and held responsible for what they did.

• Alejandro Xie

I’ll try to think of a better contemporary example! Was scratching my head for a while.

• Mark Noonan

Very interesting overview of the play Alejandro. I actually really liked the example you provided of killers going free until DNA test prove otherwise. Oedipus very much is our first crime detective novel/play; it’s a kind of a proto-“Law and Order” — as your excellent post suggests.

16. Erika Hodo

Why was Tiresias so reluctant to share what he knew about the death of King Laius?

Teiresias responds that he is aware of the reality but wishes he did not. Teiresias tells Thebes what he knows that Oedipus is the murderer himself, with Oedipus breathing down his neck for the truth. He also answers by saying that all of Thebes would soon turn on King Oedipus for his insults. Tiresias, afraid to give his king the truth because it would mean naming Oedipus a murderer, asked Oedipus who had slain. However, Oedipus began to accuse Tiresias of plotting to assassinate Laius because of this. However, the truth soon came out, and Oedipus recognized what he had done: he had slain Laius, his own father, without even knowing who he was.

• Mark Noonan

Good response Erika but can you also make a contemporary or personal connection to “truth-telling” in society today?

17. Forhad

Most of the playwrights point to something important issue. In addition, if all these good aspects can be used properly, the society the country or the world can be changed easily. Oedipus and Lysistrata are fantastic playwrights. Also, both have a significant role in the beliefs and civilization of early Greece. Besides both play a vital role in feminism. On the other hand, Oedipus says, “Indeed I am so angry I shall not hold back a jot of what I think.” Anger is basically one of the most powerful emotions. Also, it controlling is a sense of the humanity of real people. Similarly, the common man, as well as the president or any other leader, maybe angry but the real man is to solve it properly through control. I also believe that controlling anger is very important for any leader. As a construction management student, I may encounter many obstacles or problems when I play the role of a construction field manager. Also in many cases, my anger can be caused by the mistakes of the staff. In this case, I think the best way is to revive the work with patience and not anger. Leaders also need to understand that the key to success is to control their anger. The main reason for this is that anger leaders can do many things by mistake. It is extremely harmful to the country. So I think the best way is to solve the problem of the leaders without getting angry.

• Mark Noonan

This is an interesting discussion Forhad on the topic of anger and control. You make me think about when expressing anger IS a good thing and when it is NOT in relation to both plays.
      Certainly, Oedipus is about controlling anger. Lysistrata, on the other hand, is about doing something (speaking out/taking to the streets) when you really are angry about an injustice. This topic and comparison would make for a great final essay.

18. evelynalvarez

Quote: “But how will women accomplish anything so sensible and heroic? We just stay inside, trying on our gowns, making up our faces, flouncing around in sexy negligees and harem slippers”

My response is to this quote above from the play of LYSISTRATA.
    Its thoughts like these that women are always overlooked. How are women suppose to be seen as qualified and powerful and heroic when women think like this? In order to get others to believe in a women’s potential, us as women have to believe it first. It can be hard to believe vice-versa if that’s what’s been taught, but that is why we have to stop teaching this. Places such as school and households is where we need to pay attention on how women are being described. Women are said to be the ones at home with the kids and obey to their husband. Women are much more and can be much more than a women that is a stay home mother. Don’t get me wrong a housewife does so much that is also overlooked by men. Men believe they have the power because they are the ones that bring money to the house and puts the food on the table but women do so much that a man does not see. Remember without a women, a men would not be in this earth because women are the ones that give up their bodies to give birth to a new life.

• Mark Noonan

Evelyn,
      You picked a great quote here and discuss its import well. It is amazing to think that women have been view as “secondary” citizens for over 2500 years. I would like to hear more though about how the play Lysistrata (and/or film) counters this assertion — making it modern in a way we have yet to catch up to. Isn’t this play – to some degree – about collective female empowerment? Certainly, the play is also riddled with age-old stereotypes as well.