[This Week’s Assignment: Summary of NYTimes article due Mon., Aug. 1st]
Thank you for uploading your Literacy Narrative drafts (Unit #1), which I will be reviewing this week.
For this week, I ask that you prepare for your next (and final) assignment (UNIT#2), by following a current issue in the news. Begin by finding an article from the New York Times on a topic that interests you. By next Monday, Aug. 1st, I ask that you summarize the main points of this article in one paragraph (post under “comments”). Please also tell me why this topic interests you.
Once you have done this, you can begin working on Unit #2 (Due. Tues. Aug. 9).
Here are the steps to help you on your way.
- Set up a FREE New York Times account with your City Tech account here: Academic Pass Account
- Read this sample OpEd assignment (“Let’s End Anti-Asian Hate Now”) by City Tech student Enson Zhou
- View “Gentrification in Brooklyn” to get a taste of what an Opinion Documentary (OpDoc) looks like:
- 4. Find a recent article from the New York Times on a topic that interests you.
Possible topics including: the overturning of Roe v. Wade, confronting Climate Change, the war in Ukraine, racial injustice, the rise in crime, the incarceration of WNBA star Brittney Griner in Russia, inflation, etc. Free free to run your topic by me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 5. Summarize this article, following these directions:
6. Post your summary (use “comments” above) by Monday, Aug. 1st