Black Excellence: Panel Discussion

I had another opportunity to attend the Black/Excellence: Panel Discussion. Instead of having class, we all came to the event and it was so informative.

Khary Randolph was invited to come back and along with him came the writer of the comic book “Black”, Kwanza Osajyefo and comic book editorial director, Joseph Illidge. Professor Sara Wooley was the host for the panel discussion.

A lot of questions were asked of how all these 3 comic book creators got into the business and what drives them to do what they do and what it’s like being a black man working in the comic book business as well. There was also talk of introducing more black superheroes in the comic book industry where there was a lack at some point and just having more representation in the comic books. It was such an mind and eye opener for me and has inspired to me to read more comic books with more representation and those that are different. There are so many other stories out there that we don’t know of and we need to support them. I have a whole list of books which I can’t wait to purchase such as, Black, White, Noble, Naomi, America, Excellence and so much more!

Khary, Kwanza and Joseph also gave words of encouragement for those who want to get into the business or for those in general who want to pursue what they love and I will remember those words moving forward. What a great opportunity!