First Day on the Job

Although I was told not to show up until 10 a.m. for work, I was about a half hour early my first three days when I began working at Captiv8 Promotions. Juan showed me around the office, introduced me to everyone, and showed me where everything is. As I was told when interviewing with Juan and Michael for this position, I would not be doing any clerical or secretarial duties.

Since I do not have my own laptop to bring to work, Juan had an extra computer stationed right next to him for me to use. While he finished cleaning the computer out and installing programs in it for me, Juan allowed me to watch him work for the first few hours. He showed me the ropes and gave the whole run around on how he and Michael do things. Although he did not say it directly, Juan was teaching me how to be as efficient as possible and how to be a power worker. Working quickly, trying out different things, using keyboard shortcuts, answering assignments right away were just a few of the different things I was learning to do. I learned a lot of techniques that I didn’t know before. These things would later help me with my everyday work. Everything new that I was learning, I wrote it down in my notebook (that I bring with me everyday) so I could reference whenever I needed to.

My first day I spent doing mockups in Photoshop for various clients on the Captiv8 templates the way that Juan showed. An essential part to doing each project, is the after process. I have to save my work in all of the correct formats, with the appropriate and very specific file names, and in the right folders. This way both Juan and Michael can access everything I do from their computers, in the Arts Backup hard drive. Saving my files this way is such a relief for me – I love the order and organization of things. At my previous internship, I didn’t have any of this – the owner had no idea where anything was to give to me and there was almost no form of organization.