For my visual quote project, I chose a quote by James Baldwin published in 1962. The quote came from an incomplete manuscript Baldwin wrote about his recollections of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and Medgar Evers. This manuscript, entitled Remember This House served as the foundation for the documentary “I Am Not Your Negro.”

For my final revision, I used an image of James Baldwin himself with the quote next to him. I chose a black and white image with an his head resting on his hand. He’s got his eyes wide open with a facial expression that seems to say “did you not know this?”

My Initial sketches were meant to explore a dynamic collection of typography using a combination of different fonts and colors. I also was looking to use different shapes and patterns.

Once I transitioned the design into software, I had challenges getting the type to cooperate. I was a little too ambitious and decided to take an easier route and use cooler colors and simpler shapes. I chose circles because they are my favorite shape to work with. I highlighted and changed the typeface styles to place what I felt was appropriate emphasis on each respective verb.