Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston) as a waitress, before finding a job in her field, on a scene from the TV show “Friends”

I’m currently earning my Advertising Design Bachelors degree. I’ve been doing freelance work in my field for some time now, but what really pays the bills is my full time job as a waitress. I wonder when I’ll be able to quit.

It’s tough having to go to work everyday knowing you’re not aggregating much knowledge to your life. Don’t get me wrong–I feel that working in the restaurant business has taught me lot about how to deal with different kinds of people, how to multitask and has increased exponentially my expertise in wine and different cuisines. But I’ve reached that plateau where nothing much is new, and that’s frustrating.

I know it’s a matter of time; once I graduate and find a full time job as a Graphic Designer, I’ll be able to leave the life of waitressing behind. But I can’t help but fantasize, every once and while: what would happen if I quit my day job? The answer is: starve. So, back to work, Andie. Grab the apron and get back to work.

This post was inspired by this entry on Chris Brogan’s blog.